• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TCCSS

• Thread starter Cpl Kendall
  • Start date
C

Cpl Kendall

Does anyone have any info on how the TCCSS systems is doing? I retired last year and I was out of the field for 3 years prior to that. So I was wondering if they finally got all the bugs ironed out with respect to reliablity etc. Most notably with the TMHS system as we could never seem to get it to work for any length of time.

Thanks

VVV

I just worked with it in Bosnia for 6 months...It definately is still tempemental. One of my Bison ambs had a bug in it an wouldn‘t take the crypto load without screwing around a bit. I htink it‘ll slowly get better as all of us get used to the system.

I hear ya armymedic.
I had to load the crypto in 9 different vehicles plus man packs every time we changed the crypto. Talk about a headache. I don‘t remember once when everything loaded properly.

I actually don‘t recall using crypto at all during the testing that we did at 2 CMBG HQ & Sigs. Wouldn‘t surprise me at all if we didn‘t it was a pretty shoddy affair all around. Overall the system seems overcomplicated, to many menus to go through to do simple things. They should have designed it like the 77, and 515 where you turn a dial or press a button to change freqs. As for the CI I could never figure it out.

Well, I have completed Mods 1 and 2 of the new Army Tactical Communication Information Systems course and for the most part I have very few problems with the Iris system.

I never had problems with the control indicator and I never found the menus to be too problematic - then again, I"m from the videogame era and can press buttons faster than most people.

I didn‘t notice any problems with crypto, but I also didn‘t "toy" around with crypto too much.

Everything about TCCCS is great.. in theory. If it worked. All the time. I mostly use 521s and 522s, and while they are alright pieces of kit, they are far from Infantry-proof. Give it another decade, and all the bugs should be ironed out and thrown away. By then of course, the Sigs witchdoctors will be trialing some newer system that will be a nightmare to use. (Reinventing the wheel, as it were. :) )

if you have a problem with these radios call the arty. no offense to the comms tp but the arty seems to have a good grasp of how these systems work. Like one gunner said to me its only as good as the operator. although it has its problems its has been working great for my old Unit,
the 77‘s and 522‘s all had their own problems the only thing was that you didnt need to be a computer programer to use em. good luck and like i said if you have any problems, call in the arty

Basic function of the TCCCS system is going pretty good.. I myself have been trained on the tcccs system, and never had any trouble with it... i‘ve even managed to get the majority of the whole course crypto-ed (my QL3s.... Res EW decided it would be fun to jam us)... But after working with them in the field and such, in a rad van, or in the man pack config, i find the 522 to be quite reliable... one thing tho.. the 522 gobble up batts like there‘s no tomorrow!

Back