• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tangent split from: Re: Husband Deploying from Trenton-seeing him off?

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well home today with a ear infection from the so called clean Coral Sea! Hummm....

My story from my last deployment, 2006-2007.

Since I live on an island and about an hour's drive north of Brisbane, I had a cab chit directly from my house to the airport which the Ord Rm Clk personally delivered a few days earlier.

It was a late Australian tropical winter's day. August, so it was a little crisp in the am (about 15C), and sunny.

So we got up extra early, had a few friends over, and had a 'Canadian' pancake and bacon breakfast. My goodbyes to fam/friends in Canada has been a few days earlier due to OPSEC, and only my sister knew the actual timings.

My now Ex and I said our goodbyes on the front lawn, as a friend shot the video on the digicam, so it could be sent by email to my sister in Regina. It was not easy leaving her, and better on the lawn than in a public forum IMHO anyways. I always hate good byes at the best of times, but this was different.

At the airport in Brissy, it was just the lot of us, in civvy clothes, looking as obvious as ever with our desert cam'd bags. From there to Sydney to pick up the Sydney 3RAR mob of the Combat Team, then on to Darwin, to pick up the 2 Cav Lads. One of the French widebodies, Portuguese airline contracts known here at Strategic Air.

I observed little or no family, as all the goodbyes would have been at home, or in the carpark of the airports.

Next stop was Diego Garcia, then Kuwait City, then on to Ali Al Salem for a few days of final briefs and climatisation, zeroing of weapons, and on to BAIP Baghdad via RAAF C130J, followed by US Army Chinooks to our outer location at some old run down filthy Republican Guard lines, near the former Baath Pty HQ in Karhk on the Tigris River. Home for the next 7 months.

If I only had a crystal ball knowing to what master dysfunctionalism I was coing home to.

As to coming back, it was night. We left from our outlying FOB to Camp Victory via US Army Chinooks Baghdad, then the next evening left BIAP in Baghdad- then a few days at Ali Al Salem north of Kuwait City to decompress, we were CB'd the whole time. Then the UAE, then the Maldives, then on to Darwin, dropped off the 2 Cav blokes, then Brissy. The plane now only had the 3RAR lads on board, and left us in Brissy. It was the end of March, almost 3 yrs ago. We came off the plane, at the gate the new CO and RSM were there, and that was it.

Like a bunch of blokes fresh from a cricket weekend,  we staggered out. There was some family in the reception hall. A mate, a fellow SGT and good friend met me at the airport, mid arvo, and we headed home, arriving to my EX and her friend, with a huge sign in the backyard , blue paint on brown paper, welcoming me home.

It felt good.  Ha, I still have that sign rolled up in my 'war' trunk, along with 'enemy' bayonets, hemets, gas masks, Iraqi rank etc etc, you know the drill. I thought I had it made. First meal back was bangers and mash, and I did not sleep, consumed a bottle of whisky and the rest was good for a few days until she said she was leaving. Then the real battle started.

Australia. Another country, another unpopular war, and another anti-climax coming home. Not much different between us and you.

OWDU

a "Crisp 15c", eh?

Sheesh. I hope that was a minus -15c  :P

Crisp where I come from, doesn't start being used until it's about -25c :P

I need to get me down under!!! Time to get close to my aussie relatives!

Only a brief hijack....

AC, its the tropics of Queensland where I live, but winter in the southern Alps of New South Wales can mean  -20C, and 6ft of snow here as much as dear ole Saskatchewan. Australia is the hottest flatest and 2nd driest (next to Antacrtica) continent on the planet.

Its a fall day today and its about 30C and sunny, but humid as ever. Lately we've endured more flooding from monsoonal rains (it rained 19 iches in one day a while back here) and drought in other parts of the state.

On the island I live on, its only 15% inhabited, 85% national park, full of roos, emus, mustangs, snakes (King Brown, red bellied black, death adder etc), lizards (monitor --6 ft--and water dragons who hiss with defiance, frillnecks, and house geckos (who dominate the interior of my home and drive my two Siamese cats insane), and is home to one of Australia's worst places for drug labs.

Summing up, it is a very unforgiving climate along with the land and water. You might be better off where you are, ha!

The local waters are shark (bulls, makos, white pointers, hammerheads etc) and crab infested blue swimmer, muddies), local mangroves, with fever carrying mosquitos which can kill an elderly person, and spiders which will send you to the hospital quicksmart either in your house or yard.

Earthworms can be over 3 ft long here!!

Here is a pic or two of the locals. The carpet python ate my neighbour's pet parrot. Gotta love that dragon's smile.

Cheers,

Wes

A few more pics.....

Thats Eric the emu, a local 6ft high freak who hate cats, follows children, and loves bread (stale or fresh), and he leaves giant emu patties/pies on your lawn. You don't want to piss him off! These pics were taken on my front lawn a few months back.

End of hijack.

Regards,

OWDU

Oh how cute! Makes me want to pet each and every one of them!

Or not.

We've got our own cruel and dangerous animals -- including the Fierce Canadian Beaver -- . True story, my friends from Mexico would NOT go into the waters at my cottage for fear of being eaten by the beaver or alligators/crocodiles. And, whenever one would rock our canoe (by getting too close), their mexican screams (and swears and other obscenities) could probably be heard all the way down by your island :)

(end of hijack)

In all seriousness (back to the original thread)... IF you can go and you want to go? Go. If it's too hard? Don't go. Remember too - there's people there who won't/don't have family able to see them off.... so try to do your stuff away from others if you want... to not make it awkward for the others.  When we waited at Trenton, we had about 7 hours of waiting time. The commissionaire there brought my hubby (at the time) and us coffee every hour or so, and gave us our privacy. I always remembering thinking, that that was kinda sweet. It was appreciated anyways :)

Good luck with whatever you choose or are able to do!

Back