• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tamil migrant ship headed for BC (Arrived 13 Aug 2010)

Bravo Juliet said:
btw thanks for speaking for him

No problem. I love it when someone assumes a poster is being racist ( your post was clearly infering this ) and i enjoy telling them to pound salt.

Bravo Juliet said:
Yes I know LTTE ::)

Oh good, you've heard of them.

CDN Aviator said:
By "these", he means the ones on the very big boat thats on its way here. The ones arriving here illegaly. Some of them are likely members of a terrorist organization ( you know, the LTTE ).

Is that enough "wrong" for you ?

There is a legal process for immigration to this country. What these people are doing is disrespecting our laws from day one. Yeah, we take people seeking a better life but do it legaly or go somewhere else.

What is illegal claiming refugee status ?
Its not like they are going to land in Canada and hide for rest of their life? when they land, they will file for landed immigrant status and what not; if they are war criminals Canada can deport them back to Sri Lanka. its not as simple as you think when the sri lankan government treat Tamils like third grade citizen its hard for them to go to Canadian embassy and apply for Sri Lankan passport.

MM thanks for the 10 year old link

Bravo Juliet said:
its not as simple as you think when the sri lankan government treat Tamils like third grade citizen its hard for them to go to Canadian embassy and apply for Sri Lankan passport.

I realy couldnt care less.

Bravo Juliet said:
...its hard for them to go to Canadian embassy and apply for Sri Lankan passport.
Why would a Sri Lankan request a passport from a Canadian embassy? Shouldn't they request one from their own government?

Bravo Juliet said:

The last census was in 2001, ergo the link is the most current data. Notwithstanding, you don't mean to suggest that the Tamil population in Toronto has increased in the last 10 years by an order of magnitude?

ModlrMike said:
Why would a Sri Lankan request a passport from a Canadian embassy? Shouldn't they request one from their own government?

The last census was in 2001, ergo the link is the most current data. Notwithstanding, you don't mean to suggest that the Tamil population in Toronto has increased in the last 10 years by an order of magnitude?

sorry should've made it clear i meant  to actually go to Canadian embassy to get visa and passport from the Sri Lankans.
Yes most likely 10 years is a long time.

Bravo Juliet said:
My exact point.

You dont have a point. You just wanted to act with indignation when someone said " these tamils" rather than understand what the poster was saying. Typical minority group behaviour..."woh is me" and always playing the victim.

These tamils should try their luck with the US...........wonder how that woud play out eh ?

Bravo Juliet said:
What is illegal claiming refugee status ?
Its not like they are going to land in Canada and hide for rest of their life? when they land, they will file for landed immigrant status and what not; if they are war criminals Canada can deport them back to Sri Lanka. its not as simple as you think when the sri lankan government treat Tamils like third grade citizen its hard for them to go to Canadian embassy and apply for Sri Lankan passport.

I have no doubt that, had they arrived undetected, this is exactly what would happen... POOF!  disappearo rapido.

CDN Aviator said:
You dont have a point. You just wanted to act with indignation when someone said " these tamils" rather than understand what the poster was saying. Typical minority group behaviour..."woh is me" and always playing the victim.

These tamils should try their luck with the US...........wonder how that woud play out eh ?

And your typical Redneck behavior I don't care what happens I just don't want "different" people.

Bravo Juliet said:

Bravo Juliet said:
Tamils are the second largest ethnic group in Toronto after Chinese.

BJ made the claim, yet offers no source.
Here is another source from 2006. Still waiting for yours.
http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3&DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=838003&GK=0&GRP=1&PID=89186&PRID=0&PTYPE=88971,97154&S=0&SHOWALL=0&SUB=0&Temporal=2006&THEME=70&VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF=

Bravo Juliet said:
And your typical Redneck behavior I don't care what happens I just don't want "different" people.

Far from it. I work with people of many different backgrounds and we all share something in common : We are all law-abiding citizens of this country. If someone enters this country legaly, they are very welcome in my books

BTW...i was not born in Canada and i am a minority in this Country so, yeah, there goes your theory eh ?

::)

mariomike said:
BJ made the claim, yet offers no source.
Here is another source from 2006. Still waiting for yours.
http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3&DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=838003&GK=0&GRP=1&PID=89186&PRID=0&PTYPE=88971,97154&S=0&SHOWALL=0&SUB=0&Temporal=2006&THEME=70&VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF=

Most 2 gen or 1.5 Gen Don't speak Tamil so the link is a no go.

Bravo Juliet said:

Are you related to my ex wife?  She can hear things nobody says, too.

Bravo Juliet said:
Most 2 gen or 1.5 Gen Don't speak Tamil so the link is a no go.

Bravo Juliet said:
Tamils are the second largest ethnic group in Toronto after Chinese.

For the third time, do you have a source?

CDN Aviator said:
Far from it. I work with people of many different backgrounds and we all share something in common : We are all law-abiding citizens of this country. If someone enters this country legaly, they are very welcome in my books

BTW...i was not born in Canada and i am a minority in this Country so, yeah, there goes your theory eh ?

::)

Then why did you make that assumption about minorities crying "woh is me"
anyways I'm done derailing the thread.

Bravo Juliet,

Quit with the personal attacks or go into the warning system. Calling people rednecks when they haven't even exhibited any such behaviour (all I saw was someone disagreeing with you) is uncalled for.

Staff

CBC link

RCMP vessels head for Tamil migrant ship

Thu Aug 12, 10:44 AM

ST..JOHNS (CBC) - A flotilla of 10 boats, including three RCMP vessels, left the B.C. coast on Thursday morning headed for a Thai cargo ship with an estimated 200 Tamil migrants on board.

The MV Sun Sea entered Canada's exclusive economic zone which extends 200 nautical miles, or about 370 kilometres on Wednesday.

The cargo ship is thought to be carrying between 200 and 500 Tamil migrants from Sri Lanka.

It is not clear when the ship might arrive inside Canadian territorial waters which extend about 12 nautical miles (or 22 kilometres) off the coast but officials had said the vessel would arrive by early Friday at the latest.

It's expected to dock at Vancouver Island, likely in the Victoria area.

Officials have said there is reason to believe members of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, known as the Tamil Tigers, are on the ship. The Tamil Tigers have been outlawed in Canada as a terrorist group since 2006.

The migrants will likely be taken to two correctional facilities in Maple Ridge, east of Vancouver. Any children on board will likely be put into the care of B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development.

Last October, another ship, the Ocean Lady, was intercepted in Canadian waters off B.C. after crossing the Pacific from Sri Lanka. The group on board claimed to be fleeing persecution.

The government expressed concerns that some on board had links to the Tamil Tigers, but the 76 Sri Lankan migrants from that ship have since been released and their refugee claims will be processed over the next two years.

Sri Lanka has been battered by decades of civil war between the Tamil Tigers and the government.

(...)

Back