• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tacvest Mods

Dont forget IFAK. Not pictured in the pics I took is my Maxpedition dump pouch attached towards the back of the vest. Thanks for the posts and comments guys. All in all I did not spend much money on all of these mods. Obviously the most expensive part was buying the CADPAT mag pouches. I would highly suggest guys make these mods because it will allow you to train with more realism.

You have the ability to carry 10 mags and you can get used to packing properly (nothing but ammow, water, first aid on you). Obviously before you deploy you will want to get something better and sturdier than the TV but this is an improvment. Spend the money, and improve your kit.

Self aid - buddy aid - medic aid.

In my vest med pouch (and ENDOM BOMB btw) I have
Quickclot
Two Israeli bandages
Sheers (scissors)
2 X Tourniquettes
Gloves

I also have a car kit (in my day/bug out bag)
The US issue bag w/
Fluid kit (IV 500ml bag
2 more Tourniquettes
large abdominal pads
more Izzy field dressings

more stuff this was from memory  -- when I get settled I will catalogue it

Gumby said:
Where could one buy israeli bandages and tourniquettes?

AFAIK You shouldn't worry about that you'll get those medical supplies issued to you.

If you are not immediately deploying or want those items for your personal BOK, you can get the CAT and Israeli bandages from CTOMS.ca. Quikclot you can get from Lightfighter or Supply Captain or Quantico Arms.

My BOK has 2 x Israeli (4"), QuikClot ACS, Asherman, CAT, shears and PriMed guaze. That's all you really need for a personal Blow Out Kit. I also carry a BooBoo Kit in my ruck/small pack.

Phil..... i like the mag mod.... i totaly agree with the bone head factor of for mag pouches....

However about ur camelbak mods... What exactly do u gain from your set up?  if im not mistaken u said u where on Op Archer.... when i was in Kabul i was issued the cad-pat camelbak which attaches in a similar fashion to your tailor made creation to either the small pack, tac vest, etc....

help me out here....

Basically using the issue camelbak you have two carriage options.

1) wear like a backpack with the shoulder straps
2) Attach it to the daisy chains on the back

I have issues with both options;

1) The straps get in the way of other pockets on the vest, they slip around, and in my experience tend to fall off the shoulders unless you use a sternum strap which, again, interferes with chest mounted mag pouches.

2) Using the daisy chain system alleviates the issue mentioned in 1 however it comes with its own problems. I do not have confidence in the daisy chain system. It tends to come loose. It is not possible to quickly remove the camelbak. While not an issue if you are not carrying a ruck or an assault back, it becomes a major issue if you are. It is unfeasible to carry a pack overtop of the camelbak (uncomfortable, un-egonomic, puts undue pressure on the camelbak bladder etc), since it is attached at multiple points you cannot easily remove the camelbak.

My system allows the camelbak to be attached securely to the vest while still allowing a quick switch to throw it onto a ruck or assault pack. Simply lift the velcro cover and throw it in your pack of choice. I had this one custom made because most of the hydration carriers on the market are designed for the bladder alone, and not the entire camelbak. Hope this clarifies.

ok now i see what ur getting at.... cuz i saw the self made pouch in you pictures was secured with the zap straps and i was thinking "WTF" 

but the idea is that you pull the camelbak out of it and leave the pouch empty on the Tac Vest.... now i got ya... cool....

I hate the shoulder straps myself.... i normaly have my issued camelbak attacked to my small pack via the daisy chain....i trust it, ive used it as such for a few years now....

Generaly speaking the small pack goes everywhere with me.... and with that i carry a small nalgene bottle in my tac vest so i always have somthing with me, even if i ditch the small pack for a while....

thanks for clearing that up....

For those looking at such a mod, just be mindful it seems that the CFs have switched from issuing a Cadpat version of the Camelbak 3L Viper to the 3L Omega.  The main difference is that the Viper uses a wider/shorter bladder than the Omega.  Phil is using a Camelbak Hotshot which uses the same 102oz/3.1L bladder as the Viper.

Here's a little something I have been working on. Once I get the bug out I will be making it in arid. The best thing about this rig is that it will be Canadian specific and will work for M203 and C9 gunners as well.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/westie47/frontview.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/westie47/leftside.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/westie47/rightside.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/westie47/withhydrtionpanel.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/westie47/load-out.jpg
withouthydrationpanel.jpg

westie47,
I recognize you initiative and hard work...

But what you have is a near copy of a Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E. Gen-4 MOLLE System LBE Harness.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=4487&d=

I have tried out such item, and found when worn over our body armour, it has the same drawbacks as our old 82 pattern webbing. It flops around when you run and slides forward and back. With your 10 mags loaded, the back top pushes hard on your neck. But you got to love MOLLE and the modularity the STRIKE pouches bring to it.

Yes you are correct, it is a copy of the Blackhawk STRIKE LBE, however once I am done it will be heavily modifed. I like the basic concept of thie rig and with some minor mods will be very good.

You need a quadruple stitched pull handle on the top of the rear panel of the LBE.

Make it smaller. The STRIKE LBE is a tad big, but it does adjust in several ways.
Make it so the flotation pockets can be completely closed of with velcro tabs.

actually I have about 6 mods that I am making to it. Like I said this is a prototype. It will end up as a STRIKE/BOAR hybrid. it will be smaller, have taller penls with mag shingles built in. the yoke will be modified to fit around the neck better, There will be flaps on the shoulder to run hydration tubes, radio wires etc through.It is quite big so we are going to look at making it smaller as well.

You've lost a lot of frontal space with that type of closure -- it looks like you could get two single shingles in there if you rearrange the opening method.

Why do I feel like you raided eBay for the MOLLE pouches?

raided ebay??? I think not I got them from Dave's surplus and the rig is a mdified version of a STRIKE LBE from Esstac,. I never alluded to making the pouches myself. I was trying to get John Willis to make up some stuff for me but he doesn like to return PM's (as Kev can attest to).

Kev - I see what you are saying but I really don't want to wear something chest rig style, I like the front opening. Any thoughts on how to improve the front opening?

Dean -- I'd recommend you talk to Andyboy -- he's got experience in the design of this stuff...
  The reason I say that is wearing the full meal deal armour setup you may as well add some thin stuff to the front as you've gotta keep it skinneir in the sides allow for the armour.  Damned if I can figure out to work it though - if you just want attachment and no adjustment you could have the shingle affixed with a fastex on the back.

After making chest rigs and modifying Tacvests It really comes down to what the individual is doing and that the kit is functional.  The Recce guys from 1 RCR had an issue wiyh chestrigs because it was bulky in the front when they were crawling over stone fences so we rigged up a molled waist belt for them and they seem to like that.  I like the molle or malice clips because the soldier can put his pouches where he feels they are best suited.  The soldier has to be able to train in whatever he plans on using so it is second nature to him when he needs it

Back