• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicle - RG-31, LAV Coyote, and (partial) G-Wagon Replacement

That was the original plan. Something caused the Army to abandon that. Could be that the TAPV is not a viable platform for the surveillance package.
It strikes me you only need three things for a viable RSS - a stable platform for the mast; enough space for the control station inside; and an adequate power supply for the system. Can't see any of those being a problem for the TAPV.

While TAPV has a component for a recce vehicle, the LRSS goes back as far as 2009 and by 2010 had decided to put the RSS capability into 66 vehs of the LAV UP programme. By 2017 the discussion in Waypoint 2017 was that the TAPV was being evaluated only for its reconnaissance role. The discussion tended to talk about an LRSS as a surveillance base with TAPVs scouting around.

I'm not sure if the original TAPV plan ever considered a masted version or if it and the LRSS were always viewed as a pair to replace the Coyotes.

🍻

That's a great recruiting video, seriously. Well done.

On the other hand, the overall impression it gave me of the TAPV might be reflected in the word 'lumbering', which is kind of the opposite of what I thought you wanted for armoured reconnaissance.
Credit for that belongs mainly with 39 CBG, they have a couple of very motivated multimedia types who have done great work making us look good. That video is one off a series that was made about different trades available in 39 CBG.

What is the consensus regarding the TAPV? A bust? A piece of crap?

The tunnel thing is a bit weird to me. Not really user friendly IMO.

What is the consensus regarding the TAPV? A bust? A piece of crap?

The tunnel thing is a bit weird to me. Not really user friendly IMO.
I still think they got it backwards. In the MOWAG-GDLS LAV series that tunnel is where the driver and the CC sit - beside the engine.

I still think they got it backwards. In the MOWAG-GDLS LAV series that tunnel is where the driver and the CC sit - beside the engine.
Well just the Grizzly family. The LAV puts the CC in the turret where they belong.

Actually if we're looking for a recce vehicles, we've had at least three choices for wheeled recce recce starting in the early 80s with the Cadillac Gage commando scout, the French VBL and finally endimg with in the Dutch German Fennec.in the 00s

Actually if we're looking for a recce vehicles, we've had at least three choices for wheeled recce recce starting in the early 80s with the Cadillac Gage commando scout, the French VBL and finally endimg with in the Dutch German Fennec.in the 00s
When you can stand next to your car and look over its top, it's right-sized for recce.

spaehwagen-fennek-berlin-germany-may-german-army-fennec-light-armoured-reconnaissance-vehicle-international-aerospace-81669187.jpg
1401006722_01-vbl_l1.jpg

🍻

My wife's Challenger might make a decent urban recce vehicle - but arming it might be a challenge.

As dumb as it sounds, as I know the technology isn't perfect yet, but if you had an electric vehicle the size of a ferret, it would probably make a very good recce vehicle. Best I've seen for an electrical tactical vehicle though has a 1000 hour charge but is the size of a large MRAP.

As dumb as it sounds, as I know the technology isn't perfect yet, but if you had an electric vehicle the size of a ferret, it would probably make a very good recce vehicle. Best I've seen for an electrical tactical vehicle though has a 1000 hour charge but is the size of a large MRAP.
I think diesel electric hybrid is the best model.
Mainly as electric only has some significant logistics hurdles that aren’t ready to be overcome quite yet.

I do think that 3 personnel are about the min for a vehicle, in a 2 car det, that allows for 6 pers and continual 24hr operations for a period of time. That allows for 1 observation and 1 security/admin, and 4 on rest when not needed, any fewer bodies and you run into lack of bodies to conduct routine tasks over time.

Something like the VBL makes a great deal of sense in that role if your just looking at a LAV medium formation. It however doesn’t provide any real sort of dismounts, so I don’t think it’s the sole solution for a Recce vehicle for a Cavalry Sqn.

Yes. The plug-in electric car is not an option for field operations (not even for a short weekend FTX). The hybrid vehicle is its own generator. Install more batteries than the typical hybrid and switch for a pure EV mode that can be activated when silence is required.

Eventually, this should be an option for all field vehicles. Shut-down drills associated with hide/harbour occupation should evolve to become a convoy switching to silent running for final approach and occupation.

Mainly as electric only has some significant logistics hurdles that aren’t ready to be overcome quite yet.

I do think that 3 personnel are about the min for a vehicle, in a 2 car det, that allows for 6 pers and continual 24hr operations for a period of time. That allows for 1 observation and 1 security/admin, and 4 on rest when not needed, any fewer bodies and you run into lack of bodies to conduct routine tasks over time.

Something like the VBL makes a great deal of sense in that role if your just looking at a LAV medium formation. It however doesn’t provide any real sort of dismounts, so I don’t think it’s the sole solution for a Recce vehicle for a Cavalry Sqn.
I believe the VBL comes in a stretched variant. Carries 2-3 more people.

Back