• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Table Top Strategy Games

Thorvald said:
You guys must all be too young then... haven't seen one post referring to the old Avalon Hill Bookcase games (which to me, is what comes to mind when you state 'table top strategy games', though The Longest Day's maps would never fit in a table!).
Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Starship Troopers, Air Force, etc.
Unfortunately they all take too long to play, time is something you simply don't have with a family and kids...until they are old enough to play with you ;-)
Than you MUST visit http://www.vassalengine.org.  You can play all those games, and more, via email.  They are not "computerised versions" of said games, rather, the boards, playing pieces etc are replicated on the screen.  You manipulate them the same way you do on the table.  Such features such as Line of Sight are incorporated via some java script thingy.  You play a turn, email it, and then that's it until you get an email back.  You can even play "online, virtually ftf" if you wish.
All it takes is a simple download or two (boards and modules may be in separate places) but once you have that, it's really easty to get into.

Some of us aint that young. I know who Donald Featherstone was and have a copy of one of his books. One by Peter Young too. First board game I ever owned was AH Blitzkrieg. I think it’s still in a closet somewhere.

Haptmaun Vernünftig I had more than a few enjoyable evenings playing the Boots and Saddles/Assault series. You’re right very realistic as far as games systems go without getting too technical like many historical rule systems both mini and board game rule sets often do.

They were put out by GDW ( not GW) weren’t they?

GDW also had a Brigade/Divisional level series Third World War. The four separate game modules put together had a map board that went from Norway to the Persian Gulf and counters covering the entire WP, NATO and assorted neutral (Sweden, Yugoslavian, Iran etc.) Orbats for the period, mid 1980’s. 

I had it all set up in my room at CTC, which meant I slept on the floor as the only place to lay it out was on the bed. Canada looked pretty small with only 4 counters, 4CMBG, SSF, 5GBC and one representing out air wing.

FOW is very similar to Squad Leader with the added bonus of some really nicely detailed minis. Some purists dislike the beer and pretzels simplistic firing/armour penetration  tables etc. But I prefer it to spending hours each fracking turn pouring over a binder full of rules and tables to figure out exactly which shell hit which part of an enemy tank.

Overall the rule system works. Recce sneaks and peaks like it’s supposed to., anmd sometimes has to fight for intel. Armoured units sweep across open areas and stay away from villages, woods etc. Arty and Mortars pin an enemy and if you need to take and hold ground the only way real is by infantry assault to clear the trenches. There are also some interesting national rules for the various combatants, Canadian, Indian, Aussie, Romanian, Finns etc which add to the overall enjoyment.

Lang, may need them if they get back to me and I’m not otherwise occupied doing what I spend most weekends doing these days.  ::)

Danjanou said:
Some of us aint that young. I know who Donald Featherstone was and have a copy of one of his books. One by Peter Young too. First board game I ever owned was AH Blitzkrieg. I think it’s still in a closet somewhere.

Haptmaun Vernünftig I had more than a few enjoyable evenings playing the Boots and Saddles/Assault series. You’re right very realistic as far as games systems go without getting too technical like many historical rule systems both mini and board game rule sets often do.

They were put out by GDW ( not GW) weren’t they?

GDW also had a Brigade/Divisional level series Third World War. The four separate game modules put together had a map board that went from Norway to the Persian Gulf and counters covering the entire WP, NATO and assorted neutral (Sweden, Yugoslavian, Iran etc.) Orbats for the period, mid 1980’s. 

I had it all set up in my room at CTC, which meant I slept on the floor as the only place to lay it out was on the bed. Canada looked pretty small with only 4 counters, 4CMBG, SSF, 5GBC and one representing out air wing.

FOW is very similar to Squad Leader with the added bonus of some really nicely detailed minis. Some purists dislike the beer and pretzels simplistic firing/armour penetration  tables etc. But I prefer it to spending hours each fracking turn pouring over a binder full of rules and tables to figure out exactly which shell hit which part of an enemy tank.

Overall the rule system works. Recce sneaks and peaks like it’s supposed to., anmd sometimes has to fight for intel. Armoured units sweep across open areas and stay away from villages, woods etc. Arty and Mortars pin an enemy and if you need to take and hold ground the only way real is by infantry assault to clear the trenches. There are also some interesting national rules for the various combatants, Canadian, Indian, Aussie, Romanian, Finns etc which add to the overall enjoyment.

Lang, may need them if they get back to me and I’m not otherwise occupied doing what I spend most weekends doing these days.  ::)

Yep, "Assault" was indeed put out by GDW.  I have two copies each of Assault, Boots and Saddles and Chieftain.  I have but one of Bundeswehr.  So, I have enough counters to make up an entire USSR-Style division: tank or motor rifle.  :D

I also have the 3rd world war series LESS persian gulf.  Yes, it takes up a HUGE area.  I "added" the 1 Canadian Air Division when I played (the CF -18's weren't in the game, though I think there were enough to warrant a counter).  The "extra" "F-18" came from the one sub-game where they had "extra" units (for some odd reason: can't remember).  My fave for that was to stick 4 CMBG (with its 8-level proficiency) into Munich, backed up by an A-10, it was tough, if not impossible, to root them out :D

HitorMiss said:
Mechwarrier darkage.

I still have (and will start playing again, hopefully) the old Battletech game, which is, as you might know, the "old" version of Mechwarrior, with a lot more crap thrown in, making it that much more difficult to play but that much more rewarding.

I played Battletech as well.... Clan Wolf in Exile baby!. Great game but I really am into the Darkage miniature click system

I like both, really. I just haven't bought any new miniatures in about two years, so pretty much all my figures aren't "tournament legal" anymore. So sad.

Captain Sensible said:
I also have the 3rd world war series LESS persian gulf.  Yes, it takes up a HUGE area.  I "added" the 1 Canadian Air Division when I played (the CF -18's weren't in the game, though I think there were enough to warrant a counter).  The "extra" "F-18" came from the one sub-game where they had "extra" units (for some odd reason: can't remember).  My fave for that was to stick 4 CMBG (with its 8-level proficiency) into Munich, backed up by an A-10, it was tough, if not impossible, to root them out :D

I did the same with my extra CF-18 marker but kept the CF-5 one for Norway with the CAR/SSF BG and AMF brigade. After the PC White Paper came out I even started deploying 5GBC in the south with 4CMBG. GOd we're such geeks, lets start talking about dump pouches or aim point sites quick. :-[

The Persian Gulf map was almost as big as the other 3 combined, covered all of Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, gulf states and parts of the Afghanistan, Turkey, Saudi, Jordan, Syria and the USSR. Units were the Soviet Southern Front, Turkish 3rd Army, the US RDF and expeditionary forces from Isreal, Jordan etc as well as the entire Orbat for Saudi, Gulf states, Kuwait, Iran and Iraq. The Iranian markers were double sided as one of the scenarios was an Iranian civil war with half the army defectign to a western/NATO coalition and suppprted by a US/Saudi/NATO intervention IIRC

Hey Lang we should run this game by the group and see if anyoen wants to play it some Saturday/Sunday at DG.

I have played Risk A&A's, Stratego, and Avalon's Squad Leader, WW1, and The Luftwaffe. On computers I am addicted to Microsoft's Close Combat even if they are older than the hills. ;D I also build 20mm Armies. :salute:

Larry Strong said:
I have played Risk A&A's, Stratego, and Avalon's Squad Leader, WW1, and The Luftwaffe. On computers I am addicted to Microsoft's Close Combat even if they are older than the hills. ;D I also build 20mm Armies. :salute:
Close Combat rocks!  I almost failed year 3 of university due to it :blush: 

Check out www.vassalengine.org for computerised versions of those tabletop games.

If you like Squad Leader, check out the following:
http://www.advancephase.com
http://www.wargameacademy.org/sqla

There are more.  Follow the "links" pages on both, and you'll be mildly surprised to find so many current references to that old classic.

I grew up playing pen and paper RPGs, and moved into games like Battletech, Risk, Axis and Allies and Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.  That was a game, I swear it was designed by 25 guys from Mensa.  It took us over three months to finish WWII.  I started playing 40k about 10 years ago, and I even worked at GW HO for a while.

I stopped playing 40k about 3 years ago, and stopped painted about 2.  I have figured out why I quit painting, and it is because while I can see things past 4" fine, that close is tough.  I bought some Wal-Mart glasses, and I'm all good again.

Now, as to why I posted this...

I am looking for a company that sells military figs, that may or may not be game usable, but that look good and don't coat what GWs do.

I got to be a pretty good painter working at GW, and I miss it.  Just don't miss painting Space Marines.

KwaiLo said:
I grew up playing pen and paper RPGs, and moved into games like Battletech, Risk, Axis and Allies and Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.  That was a game, I swear it was designed by 25 guys from Mensa.  It took us over three months to finish WWII.  I started playing 40k about 10 years ago, and I even worked at GW HO for a while.

I stopped playing 40k about 3 years ago, and stopped painted about 2.  I have figured out why I quit painting, and it is because while I can see things past 4" fine, that close is tough.  I bought some Wal-Mart glasses, and I'm all good again.

Now, as to why I posted this...

I am looking for a company that sells military figs, that may or may not be game usable, but that look good and don't coat what GWs do.

I got to be a pretty good painter working at GW, and I miss it.  Just don't miss painting Space Marines.

Take a look at the Battlefront Flames of War line 15mm Second World War line for decent  and reasonably priced figures.

Danjanou said:
Take a look at the Battlefront Flames of War line 15mm Second World War line for decent  and reasonably priced figures.

I'll do that tonight, thanks.

Anybody here played Command & Colors : Ancients ?

It a great strategy game of the battles of the Punic Wars using block counters and cards for strategy. Easy to play, very fun and manges to recreate the feel of
an ancient battleground. Rules are very similar to a standard AH wargame but without all the complexity.

A buddy of mine developed "Lost Continent Of Atlantis Rules" fpr Risk:

1. On a piece of thin cardboard, draw a small continent of a few countries that will fit on the board between NA and Europe.
2. When someone rolls three sixes and defending return rolls two sixes, Atlantis appears and plays like any other continent. 
3. When someone again rolls three sixes and defending again return rolls two sixes, Atlantis disappears and all armies on it are 'drowned'.
4. See 2 above.
5. See 3 above, etc

Avalon Hill's "Blitzkrieg" was another early seventies favourite.

Ultimatum - tougher and more flexibility than Risk, but not as complicated as Axis and Allies.  Several of us carried this game around on deployments and cross-countr travel. 

GreyMatter said:
Ultimatum - tougher and more flexibility than Risk, but not as complicated as Axis and Allies.  Several of us carried this game around on deployments and cross-countr travel. 

The was also -Supremacy- which was Risk with an economic system and nuclear weapons. Awesome game that sadly always ended with a pissed off player going ballistic...

Back