• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Switching trade question

Miss.Meteo

Inactive
Reaction score
I did a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for..

My fiancé is in the Infantry at the moment and would like to remost to Supply Tech. He did 2 years Reserve and 2 Years Reg. Also went overseas for 6 months. Is there a requirement to be remosted? He isn't corporal (...but you know if he goes back overseas THEN they'll give it) he is private 3. Or is it like you need 4 years reg?

Thanks a lot in advance for all your answers  :)

May
Recruit: October 5th!

I can't answer your question - I've been out of the loop too long.

But, the term you are looking for is "remuster" - not "remost".  This is also known as an "Occupation Transfer", or "OT" - you'll see it referred by all three terms on the forums.

Perhaps a search with the correct terms may turn up more threads for you.

Roy

I tried both actually and didn't come up with nothing...I hope someone can give me an answer

Thanks anyways though

May

Miss.Meteo said:
I did a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for..

My fiancé is in the Infantry at the moment and would like to remost to Supply Tech. He did 2 years Reserve and 2 Years Reg. Also went overseas for 6 months. Is there a requirement to be remosted? He isn't corporal (...but you know if he goes back overseas THEN they'll give it) he is private 3. Or is it like you need 4 years reg?

Thanks a lot in advance for all your answers  :)

May

As with all Occupational Transfers, decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.  However there are some basic guidelines..

- There has to be demand for Supply Technicians. 

- He must meet the Aptitude Test requirements for the trade.  The Aptitude test is like an IQ test; it gauges your ability in math, English and problem-solving and gives you a list of trades you qualify for.  Some trades such as Infantry, Arty, Cook, Bosn have lower minimum scores.  Other such as RMS, Supply, Maintenance/Tech trades, have much higher needed scores.  I think for Supply there's a greater emphasis on Math and English, because 1) you're dealing with numbers 2) there's a customer service aspect to the job, you deal with people often.

- He must meet the minimum Medical Category for the trade..... for example to be Infantry or Pilot you have to have perfect vision. 

- Cpl in the Regs requires:
4 years in,
Qualified BMQ, SQ, QL3/DP1
decent conduct and performance,
no disciplinary/medical/personal problems that can preclude him from being promoted;
and of course, a demand for Cpls in his trade.

Best of luck to you both.....Servitum Nulli Secundus.

CorporalMajor said:
- He must meet the minimum Medical Category for the trade..... for example to be Infantry or Pilot you have to have perfect vision. 

No you don't. Pilot is now V2 an Infantry aswel as the other Combat Arms minimum is V3.

CorporalMajor said:
Cpl in the Regs requires:
4 years in,
Qualified BMQ, SQ, QL3/DP1

Dunno about 2 an 5 Bde but in 1CMBG 3 years you can be advanced promoted to Cpl. An some trades need a QL4 course, etc.

-Skeletor- said:
Dunno about 2 an 5 Bde but in 1CMBG 3 years you can be advanced promoted to Cpl. An some trades need a QL4 course, etc.

30 months for accelerated promotion to Cpl, its a CF standard. That being said, accelerated promotion is not an entitlement, it SHOULD be given as recognition of excellent work and ability to take on leadership tasks.

-Skeletor- said:
No you don't. Pilot is now V2 an Infantry aswel as the other Combat Arms minimum is V3.

Hmm, didn't know they took down the vision category for those trades.

Yeah - it doesn't make a difference which formation you belong to.  The basic requirements for an ordinary promotion to Cpl are pretty well the same across the CF (though some individual trades differ - good point with the QL4).  Everyone has to follow the same Rules and Regulations.

An advanced promotion isn't an ordinary promotion anyways... and that's only done if 1) the soldier in question is amazing at what he does 2) they need soldiers to fill that rank. 

CorporalMajor said:
Hmm, didn't know they took down the vision category for those trades.

The minimum vision category for infantry has been V3 for at least 30 years.  When did you think it was different?

Michael O'Leary said:
The minimum vision category for infantry has been V3 for at least 30 years.  When did you think it was different?
I misread what skeletor wrote, and assumed that Infantry changed only recently like Pilot did.....my bad.

Since he is infantry, he can put in a remuster thru LOTP, which requires only 3 years. And the good part is that he can apply for a remuster in the year that he gets his three years. So if he hits his three years on Dec 31 2009, he can put in the application in the beginning of 2009.

Tell your boyfriend to get a printed copy of CFA0 11-12 OCCUPATION TRANSFER OF NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS - REGULAR FORCE and read it.  If he has a DWAN account, he can access it himself, or someone in his Chain of Command or a buddy should be able to get it for him.

That really should answer most of his questions about when he can apply and under what program, what the requirements are, the whole sha-bang. 

Next, he should find the PSO page for Petawawa and look there for info on AVOTP and LOTP.

Some of the info above isn't IAW the CFAO that governs remusters/OTs, so he is best served reading the actual CFAO, particulary paying attention to Annex C (the Annex that pertains to LOTP).

Thanks a lot guys! This is realllyyyy appreciated I just printed out this entire conversation with all the codes hehe. Thank you!

May
BMQ: 2 days!

Back