• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surplus stores

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Are there any surplus stores close to Yonge and Steeles, Thornhill Ontario? (Toronto). I checked around, and I was told that the closest one was in Aurora but it shut down. I find this hard to believe though..

Id love to stop by one and check out what they‘ve got. See what cool gadgets and toys i can get..

Theres a big one at yonge and wellesly, but thats far from thronhill.

Are you familiar with the surplus store near Yonge and Adelaide ? It may be a bit out of your way. They sell a variety of gear from different countries. I have not personally bought anything here so cannot comment on prices. Whew, first post ever....done.

There is a good one on Dufferin st. A few minutes south south of the Yorkdale Mall. It‘s called Beaver Surplus. The desk guy is kind of a "know it all", but apart from that, they have a decent selection of whatever you should need.

Originally posted by QY Rang cdt:
[qb] It‘s called Beaver Surplus. [/qb]
When I was looking up the location of this store, I was having problems with it because i was looking it up as Beaver Surplus. In case anyone else is having trouble, look under Beaver‘s Surplus

There‘s one at Hwy 7 and West Beaver creek road called Creative Outdoor.

Here‘s the address:

280 West Beaver Creek Road,
Richmond Hill, ON
L4B 3Z1

I really like the surplus store thats near Yonge and Wellsley, it‘s quite large and they have a lot of interesting stuff.

The guys who work there are pressure salesmen, but if you make it clear that you‘re just looking around and you‘ll let them know if you need some help, then they leave you alone.
I bought all my clothes for paintball there, and I got a mint condition US Army issue chemical resistant woodland camo jacket for my little brother for about $16. They wanted about $150 for the large sized ones that were part of the set. They are really good for making deals like that.

On the other end of the spectrum is the surplus store across the street from the Moss Park Armoury (Queen + Jarvis).
Anyway, it‘s really small, way overpriced, and one of the guys who works there is a real prick.
I mean, I‘ve dealt with rude sales people before, but this guy was far and away the biggest (bumhole) I‘ve ever encountered while shopping.
He snuck up behind me and violently snatched some pants I was looking at from my hand, and actually yelled at me that if I wanted to look at anything he was going to show it to me, he didn‘t need "anybody" to mess up his shelves. (not that I‘d even taken anything off his shelves prior to the pants)
Then he yelled "well what the @#$% are you looking for?" as I stood there gaping at him.

Needless to say, I had a few words of my own to express to him and his partner before I left.

I was absolutely stunned. I was clean, reasonably dressed, made good eye contact with them and said hello as I walked in. I was with my girlfriend (at the time) who looks even more respectable than me, I had money and real intentions toward buying some stuff. It was a totally uncalled for and unprovoked attack.

Anyway, obviously the guy felt there was some reason why I should be treated like that, but really there wasn‘t, and I hope no one spends money there. Ever. Like I said, it‘s overpriced anyway.

OK... surplus stores...
here‘s my GTA. List...

Beaver‘s Surplus Exchange
3269 Dufferin St., 416-784-1161

The Army Store
20 Bermondsey Rd, Unit #5, 416-759-8038

Angies Outdoor & Surplus
80 Dunlop st, Barrie, 705-721-1776

Save-More Surplus store
114 Queen St. E., 416368-3536

Creative Outdoor and Sporting Goods Centre
280 West Beaver Creek, 905-709-1535

why not add to this one for the GTA...

There used to be booths at the Stoufville flea market, and at the 400 flea market. I‘ll try to find out if they are still there.

BE WARNED!

Savemore... Bad service.

The only reason I go there sometimes, is that they have certain items that other surplus stores in the GTA do not have.

By far. Beavers is the best, then Creative.

The owner of Beaver‘s and SWAT SHOP is Larry Beaver... He is a great guy, I‘ve been giving business to them with my cadet corp for many many years.

I spend a long time just lounging throught store, he asked me if I would like to pay rent because I spend so much time there... LOL

The other dude is Chris. Nice guy, knows a bunch.

The lady is very nice too but she is usually in SWAT SHOP which is right next door.

Beavers is by far the best surplus store in the GTA. I don‘t like Creative that much. I dunno why I just dislike it.

At work we buy all our teamstuff from the SWAT SHOP. Can‘t helpbut go next door and breath the "army" aroma coming off the clothes.

Beaver‘s has Russian night vision gear which is neat and could come in handy if you have several hundred bucks burning a gaping hole in your pocket.

Then there are the "Arnie-Conan" swords on the wall...
"sigh"

Rip-mores, err I mean save mores. Avoid at all costs. All the prices are jacked up because Moss Park Armoury is right across the street. The dude makes his money on people how need kit for an ex but forgot it at that night (like me a few times), cadets at MPA, and all the crackheads and such who buy old 3 season coats from him.

There is another store that claims to be army surplus right across the street from Filmores Hotel (Dundas/Jarvis).

Central Surplus at Yonge/Wellesley is ok, I find over half the stuff they have is pure camping/outdoor stuff and not, army surplus. Can‘t go wrong with Beaver‘s/Swat Shop.

R Nicohlls (there is one in Scarborough at on Warden Ave north of St. Clair, and one in Missisauga but I do not know were it is)while not Army surplus does sell police/military tactical gear (kneepads, camelbak stuff, gloves, boots) there website is http://www.rnicholls.com/online_en.html . They also sell black Canadian Forces style pants. There only problem is they tend to be a bit expensive and every now and then they go through a phase were they only sell to police/security/army and not to the public.

I like R Nichohlls too.. but as you said.. I‘m not made of cash... LOL

I wish. They have some nice Blackhawk Industries vests and gear.

I'll throw in recommending Beavers Surplus (3269 Dufferein St., 416-784-1161)...friendly service, ok prices, and they, and the SWAT Shop next door, don't make life more difficult by selling certain items to just anyone.

Creative Outdoor (280 West Beaver Creek Rd., Unit 6), on the other hand, will sell to *anyone* with the $$$.  Personally, I don't like certain members of society purchasing knock-off ASP's over the counter....but that isn't for this thread.

Oakville Outdoor (130 Speers Rd., 905-842-0943) is friendly, albeit a bit uninformed about certain items.  Do a bit of research before going there, as some staff don't know the difference, for example, between an IMP and an MRE.  But you're on this board...I'll assume you've done your research!

As for Save-More...heh...doesn't surprise me.  Those guys were...hmmm, how shall I put it..."a piece of work" back in the early 80's.  Overpriced, obnoxious, ignorant.

Hello Folks,
     I have been in the Military surplus business for over a decade and have worked for and or done business with most of the afore mentioned retailers. There are many more dealers and stostoriescould tell. I am now in the process of opening a retail location in Mississauga. Lakeshore Rd. Two lights west of Hurontario. That's Port Credit. If you have any questions about where or who to get stuff from I have an e-mail address sales@armyissue.com. I hope to be open for walk-in business by Aug 1 04. I will carry Army surplus and Law enforcement products as well. If you have any questions, suggestions or recommendations please send them to me.

Thank you
Jeroon
ARMY ISSUE

Another good surpus store and it also carries some real antique militaria and demiled weapons is Hero Army Surplus, 1240 Philip Murray Ave., Unit #11 Oshawa. :cdn:

NO! Heros is NOT Good. He adds 300% to the Original Price that he pays for it. You're talking about putting a set of '82 Pat webbing together for no less than $100. I've seen him buy kit, and then put it directly on the shelf for 3 times the price...then try to SELL it to ME! They have expanded, and have alot more kit now...but if you want to go shopping, go somewhere in Toronto.
You're talking about shelling out more than $6000 for a Demilled weapon. And thats just the Thompson. He wants close to $10 000 for his MG42!

Agreed, Hero is a rip-off. A set of OD combats will run you for close to 90 bucks, if not more. Ridiculous.

Thought I might suggest to ppl who have the name & location of surplus stores to share, I have created a 'surplus store database' in off topic. so far it is a little lacking, but I am sure that with your added contribututions, it will become a helpful resourse for people seeking military (and related) goods.

Back