• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supporting our Wounded Soldiers - Discussion of Various Funds Available

Michael O'Leary said:
Look at it this way, if the CF provided the pack it would probably be done through CFPSA.  The contents would all be standard items labeled "Canadian Forces" or "Army" like the grey sweats and t-shirts sold at Canex.  Allowing the Regiments and their Associations to operate these programs on their own has a few spin off benefits: the soldier receives something from his/her Regiment (or at least the Regiment with which they serve on operations), it promotes that sense of belonging, and it builds an understanding of familial support within a regimental family.  These programs have also presented one of the most direct means by which an average Canadian can provide direct support to a soldier that needs it, even a dump of money from the CF to the Regiment would take away this very important facet of the program.  Its all about the connections we can make: between a Regiment and its soldiers, between those who served before with those who serve now through the Association connections, and between average Canadians and the soldiers who serve their country.  In the big picture its a very small program, but its value on many levels far outweighs the actual cost of the items in the packs.

Well said Michael! As others have said, I personally wouldn't care if the pack came from the "Bucktooth Fusiliers", it is the thought that counts.

Michael,

This begs the question of why the Canadian Army isn't doing this program through the very Regiments it deploys into battle?  I'm sure some brainy-types at NDHQ could easily figure this out, instead of relying on Joe-citizen/volunteer to cough up the dough for them. Maybe the shame of it just needs more media exposure?

I don't think of it as "shame", I look at it as a chance for the average citizen to help keep up the troops morale and to promote esprit de corps.

As a small cog in a big gov't machine myself, trust me - it's probably FAR better having people from a group you're familiar with, members of your "extended family" who directly understand your reality, figuring out  what you need if you're wounded than having the greater government "system" figure it out.

Like the old line about an elephant being a horse designed by a committee???

OK, you need clothes, underwear, soap, shampoo and toothpaste - add the Regimental crest to them, and you're in.  It's not rocket science at all, and it should be funded by the Canadian public, not volunteer donations no matter how well-intended they are.

Here's the way I see it, from a perspective of a recipiant;

When I was wounded, and they cut off my combats, inserted a catheter and a handfull of IV's, I figured my clothes wearing days where on hold.

When I got to Germany, They wanted me to start walking around (to see if I could), and I would have been happy doing that in a gown and hospital slippers, having regimental clothing to do it in only made it better.

When they showed me the black bag that the Regiment (and all of you) sent, I felt a strong feeling of family.  I had thought the regiment / army bought them until I read this thread, and now I have an even greater feeling of family.

Soldiers who are wounded bad enough to recieve these bags often have access to clothing and toiletries when they get to Germany, weather through the Padres closet, the nursing staff (both US and Canadian) who will bend over backwards to get you what ever you need, fellow troops who grab stuff from your kit before you leave KAF, and / or the military who will go and get you whatever you want if you ask.  For the most part, when you're wounded that bad, clothing is sometimes the last thing on your mind...

But, with that said, being able to wear regimental clothing around the hospital, having a regimental mini flag on your door, and seeing all the other goodies in the bag (post cards, stickers, etc) really helps to make the wounded feel like they're still part of the family and are cared for.

As was said before; if the military bought the bags for the troops, they would be generic.  Having support from the regiment is good for troop morale.  If the military / Government could help subsidize the purchase of the bags per regiment (deployed), I think that would be much better than taking over the program.

Either way, as I've said before, Thank you to everyone involved.   :salute:

P.S. Just a suggestion for future bags; Underwear... even just generic green ones.  Mine were cut off in KAF and I didn't have any until I got back to Canada (about a week).  Just a thought.  

Public funding? Interesting theory, but unlikely to occur.

I suggest the other regiments might wish to take note of the RCR's precedent setting standard and implement a similar service when it is their turn to lead.

Good suggestion of the gotchiees, Piper.

RHFC_piper said:
P.S. Just a suggestion for future bags; Underwear... even just generic green ones.  Mine were cut off in KAF and I didn't have any until I got back to Canada (about a week).  Just a thought.  
You're a highlander who wears underwear?  I thought that was supposed to be a very poorly kept secret! ;)

ProPatria Mike said:
I suggest the other regiments might wish to take note of the RCR's precedent setting standard and implement a similar service when it is their turn to lead.

Actually, The RCR took the idea from a PPCLI initiative.

Sorry RHFC_piper,

But I think with proper planning the military could easily buy the "right" hospital kits for it's deployed Regiments when it sends them into harms way.  Just take it out of the defence budget.  What Regiment are you with?

Speedy recovery.

josh said:
But I think with proper planning the military could easily buy the "right" hospital kits for it's deployed Regiments when it sends them into harms way.  Just take it out of the defence budget.

As much as I hate to slam the military / govenment, but when it comes to buying the right stuff and aloting funds where needed, history has shown that they're not the best at it, or particularly quick with it (eg. replacement for sea king)

Having the regiments handle it is a much better way.  More personal.

josh said:
Speedy recovery.

Cheers, buddy.  :cheers:

Michael O'Leary said:
Actually, The RCR took the idea from a PPCLI initiative.

Brilliant! I guess precedent setting standard must now apply to the PPCLI who STARTED this idea.  :o ProPatria, it must be tough being blinded by Regimental pride, oh well, nice try though. ;D

RHFC_piper,

Gotcha and understood.  Hopefully your buddies in your own Reserve Regiment did the same for you?

That's the wonderful thing about this project, it doesn't matter what regiment you come from, if you're serving with the Royals, they're one of us. They get treated exactly like we would treat any other Royal. After reading Piper's other posts, I know in his heart he's a Royal, and have no problems calling him a fellow Royal.

:salute:

2 Cdo said:
Brilliant! I guess precedent setting standard must now apply to the PPCLI who STARTED this idea.  :o ProPatria, it must be tough being blinded by Regimental pride, oh well, nice try though. ;D

Not tough at all, in fact, Regimental pride becomes me.

And in the spirit of never pass  fault, see my prior post. I stand corrected... by a fellow Royal Canadian!

To slow, brother, next man! snicker.

Having bought two packs the nicest part was the thank you letter from RHQ in Edmonton. Now may those two packs sit in a warehouse on a shelf and collect many, many years of dust as they were not need. At least one can hope this will occur.

VP

Hello, my name is James McTeague. My Brother Mike McTeague was sireaously injured in a suicide attack on september 18, 2006. I went to Germany along with my dad to to attend with my brother. When I was there 9 other Canadian soldiers were injured at the time. This was at the NATO base at the American hospital. I have to say the care they gave was unbelievable! After days of recovering and able to move thier arms and some of them, there legs, they began to feel extreamly bored. when they come back home and have to spend up to a year in a hospital, these guys need some sort of entertainment, as well as other needs for families as I soon found out. My dad and an Officer Capt. Wayne Johnston Started the Sapper Mike McTeague Wounded Warriors Fund in light of my brother. This fund is used for the soldiers who may want to watch TV, but need to pay 300 dollars a month to rent. or listen to music or need the internet. Also it will provide familes with gas money, parking fees, and possibly transportation services. After months of doing this the price of these little things get very high. The entertainment given to our soldiers means a lot. Everyday they have to sit there and stare at the ceiling and think. Soldiers need to just be able to relax and get there mind of things. As some soldiers say it's extreamly hard to sit there and do nothing, it may not seem bad but it's hard. After all the things they have given up for us I would say lets start to give to them.
If you would like to donate to this fund the address is
P.O Box 141, Stn. Brooklin
Whitby, Ont., L1M 1B5 or e- mail johnston.gw@forces.gc.ca.

Thank you very much!
James McTeague

That's a really good cause James101.
But here's a tip; when you go online asking for money from people make sure you back up your pledge with some tangible proof. Otherwise people will be skeptical and probably won't donate. I myself was a little bit suspicious but I checked it out and all is ok.

I don't mean to slag you, or your cause but for anyone who has been the victim of a Con Artist (yes, I was conned when I was younger), there is no limit to being prudent.
Here are a few links to a couple of news sources and some blogs that confirm the Mike Teague fund:

Source: http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Warmington_Joe/2006/11/17/pf-2390868.html

A 13-year-old Port Hope girl has figured out how important a simple visit to the hospital can be to the recovery of a wounded soldier 
By JOE WARMINGTON

Sometimes it takes a kid to put things in perspective.

When 13-year-old Kate Fearnall heard about several wounded Canadian soldiers recovering in hospital, she wanted to help.

"They are good people who are serving our country," she said. "They have a lot of courage."

That's why the Port Hope teen is heading to the St. John's Rehab Hospital today to visit wounded Canadian warriors -- including Sapper Mike McTeague, a 20-year-old for whom the Wounded Warrior Fund was named.

She will find a brave young man battling back from extreme wounds from a September suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan.

The fund was inspired by his experience of living for months with nothing to do but suffer alone. Capt. Wayne Johnston wants to make sure no wounded Canadian soldier will ever again go without a TV or some way to stay entertained.

And when Fearnall's dad Michael told her about this, Kate immediately "wanted to see if we can help them."

It started yesterday with a hug for one wounded warrior recovering in her home town of Port Hope. It was appreciated by Cpl. Brock Vigon. "I am so impressed with the youth of today," Vigon said.

Despite being seriously hurt in the "friendly fire" incident Sept. 4 he will soon go back to Petawawa with his pregnant wife to start planning a future. He understands he could have been one of the 42 fellow soldiers who won't have that luxury.

And so does Kate. The eighth-grader at Dr. M.S. Hawkins school took an idea to her classmates of doing something for these recovering soldiers. "We want to pay them back for all that they have done," she said. "We are going to write letters to companies like Apple and Microsoft and see if they can do something -- you know, laptops and IPods."

Good for them. Working with the families Capt. Johnston has found himself thrown into the most difficult phase of his military career. "There has been days when I have been in tears," he said.

But there are days like this when you see a kid who gets it.

It has been special to watch the response of Canadians with this fund because what Johnston noticed was while these young people were in hospital getting top-notch medical treatment, there was not an awful lot for them to do.

Turns out it costs $10 a day to rent a TV and that can add up if you are in hospital for a year. Try coming up with $3,365 on a soldier's salary. Try lying in a bed for a year without a TV.

"We are creating a Wounded Warrior pack to send these guys," said Johnston, adding they will consist of books, movies, DVDS, CDs, IPods, MP3 players and other electronics and games.

The response has been overwhelming. More than $22,000 has been raised so far. Johnston would love to get $100,000 in the fund ahead of the spring when the risk of more casualties is highest.

If you want to donate, send a cheque to the Sapper Mike McTeague Wounded Warrior Fund at PO Box 141, Stn. Brooklin, Whitby, Ont., L1M 1B5.

If anyone has any neat ideas of how we could do a fundraiser let me know. My pal, former police association boss Craig Bromell at AM 640, made an excellent point when he said "m aybe we won't have to go out and raise this money because the military really should be providing for this."

"Positive things with this guy Gen. Hillier seem to happen when he hears about issues like this."

Craig likes the idea of pressuring government to cover these expenses and I agree. If someone in government wants to do that, today is as as good a day as any. Why wait?

We can't have our soldiers stuck in hospital having to pay for their own TV and not having something to pass the time. We are better than that.

"You have been through a traumatic event and all you do is just lie there and think," said Vigon, 29. "Some music or something is needed to get your mind off things."

He knows first hand since he is one of dozens of Canadians recovering from severe wounds from the Sept. 4 "friendly-fire" incident.

The pain you feel, he said, is not just the physical. "I lost five friends in 24 hours," he said.

"I was standing right next to Cpl. Mark Graham when he died," Vigon said. "He was an awesome guy and it seems only the good ones die young."

And sometimes it takes a youngster like Kate Fearnall to help the rest of us understand it's okay to wear your heart on your sleeve.

Also:
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2006/11/17/2391238-sun.html
http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70212&sid=0357667fce2014c091046b1aae31ce98
http://goldwingnetwork.com/blog/index.php

I've been wanting to help out those wounded soldiers some way... I guess I found one.

Back