• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

supply system?

BITTER PPCLI CPL said:
I'm new to these forums, so pardon the attitude in my question. Why does the Air Force and non-combat arms units need cadpat Gore-tex rain gear? ???

because it rains in the airforce too........ ::)

The airforce ran its own program that had nothing to do with clothe-the-soldier and decided it wanted rain gear for the techs that wait in the rain to marshall us when we come back from flights.

The army followed CTS and got other stuff it felt had priority.

You have a problem with that...take it up with the CLS

Both elements were running separate programs for raingear. Up top, in a rare burst of clarity, said that was a waste. They told them to work together to a common solution, which they did.

My personal opinion is that in the last 20 years, the army is so use to being wet, that there's just no motivation to aquire any new rain gear. I don't know what I would do with myself if they ever gave me a waterproof rain jacket, something that quite frankly I never even dream about. Wouldn't that be some kind of RMA for the Cdn Army?

Britney Spears said:
Wouldn't that be some kind of RMA for the Cdn Army?

I hope not...that would require doctrine changes, changes to the CTP of most combat arms trades, pubs would have to be re-writen.....

Britney Spears said:
My personal opinion is that in the last 20 years, the army is so use to being wet, that there's just no motivation to aquire any new rain gear. I don't know what I would do with myself if they ever gave me a waterproof rain jacket, something that quite frankly I never even dream about. Wouldn't that be some kind of RMA for the Cdn Army?

I recall having waterproof rain gear.  Unfortunately, that works TWO ways - the rain didn't get in, and the sweat didn't get out!!

Either way, you end up wet.

I'm not sure which wet is preferable.

mover1 said:
In answer to your questions 3. remember you get more flies with honey.
1.. it doesn't hurt. At least when you ask a question you get a no crap answer and understand why you as an infanteer have no need for a flying suit.
2. If you saved your receipts and went though your claim before you went to the clerk. handed in a COMPLETED organised itinerary. Maybe you would have your claim done in 3-5 days like everyone else. Its done by computers now. It should take the same amount of time for everyone. Unless its a bulk claim.
3. No one likes paying a speeding ticket. You wouldn't have this problem if you SLOWED DOWN AND WENT THE F***ING SPEED LIMIT. ;D

1.   When I went to get the new CADPAT uniform, I was told they didn't have any in my size.   Fair enough.   Went back three months later, now they have them in my size, but my unit's "window" has expired and they're issuing them to other units.   Wonderfull.   Went back 6 months later, they have the pants in my size, but not the shirt.   Awesome.   All in all, I think I was the last person in my brigade to get CADPAT.   Ended up teaching on courses where the GODDAMN RECRUITS had it, and I didn't.   Not to mention that, when I finally DID get it, they initialy turned me away because I, as a Class A reservist coming in on his own (unpaid) time had the audacity to not be cleanly shaven while in civvies.   I think the point about you being on an airforce base may have some truth to it.   Oh, and as a side note, once I started "seing" someone in the CQ on a base, kit magically started to appear.

2.   One year after ARC in meaford it took 6 months, 50+ inquiries with the unit clerks, and 2 trips to the Brigade HQ to get my TD pay.   In that time, the unit actually ended up DEDUCTING an advance I had taken against the claim earlier in the summer because - SURPRISE - my TD hadn't gone through yet and they wanted the money back.   More recently, this June I finally received 6 days of leave pay I tried to claim 10 months earler (and of which I reminded them on a monthly basis), as well as 16 days of pay that I got half a month late because the BOR "didn't realize" I had left for a tasking, even though they made up a route letter and travel claim for me before I left.   There's plenty more stories I could tell, but I think you get the gyst.

3.   Seing as on some bases you'll get pulled over for doing 46 in a 40 zone....well, "slow down" is still good advice, but knowing the MP's is deffinitely more helpful.

Retired CC said:
I recall having waterproof rain gear.   Unfortunately, that works TWO ways - the rain didn't get in, and the sweat didn't get out!!

Either way, you end up wet.

I'm not sure which wet is preferable.

I've always had waterproof raingear, and it's still the same problem.  What we need is breathable and waterproof raingear.  It sure would be nice if the CF would take those old OD bivvie-bags and turn them into stealth suits.

Sorry you felt a bit Sesamie Street without your cadpat ( one of these things is not like the other ;D). . At least you stood out in the crowd.
sounds like you have a bad clerk. We have them here too. we just avoid them.
46 in a 40 zone. You have some whacked speed limits. And even more whacked MP's. if your story is true then I would have fought it.
I went from Cold Lake to Shilo. While there the Supply Officer asked me not to wear my Airforce Rain gear on base.
Why?
Because he didn't want 500 troops banging down his door for a set.
The airforce does 90% of its maintence out doors. Or with the hanger doors open. I thought everything was done in a warm hangar too when I first made the switch. I was mistaken. Thats why the airforce had gone on its own for some clothing it just couldn't wait. And that rain gear is the BEST kit I have seen issued in a long time.

Just a question to those with horror stories. Are you doing the claims at base level or at unit level. Is it clothing stores and base supply you have troubles with, or your QM where its run by people your trade?

48Highlander said:
  I think the point about you being on an airforce base may have some truth to it.  

Once again, baseless airforce bashing from someone who has seen military life from only one side of the coin.  If you cannot get over this army/airforce thing, message me, i will take you under my wing for a few weeks and show you that the army is not the be-all-end-all of military life.  If you think that the supply techs/clerks on an airforce base are any more "agreeable", you are saddly mistaken.

Lets see. The supp techs have done their time in Pet Gagetown Halifax, etc . One of them is ex armoured. Another is ex infantry. One of them is a packer Rigger. The Master just came from Wainright. A few are off of the ship. One was posted to Calgary. The forms they fill out and the orders they follow are the same from base to base.
Most of the Clerks are re-musters or had a few postings to the ARMY as well. They follow national directives and use the same computer systems and programs here that they do in Edmonton.
There is no difference between Airforce and Army or Navy when it comes to service support. Please do not give me any of the Airforce gets it easier than the Army stuff. It just simply is not true.
Everyday I look around here I see an Operational base. We have planes in the Arctic and we have planes overseas. People and units are deployed. Maybe its just because we are so busy and our service support are used to doing it on a regular basis. It has nothing to do with the Airforce being pampered heck we have the same personell that you do.
In fact some days its harder. A guy like me cant get any of the gucci stuff like AESOP can although I have no need for spandex flying gear. (friggin aircrew ;D)

aesop081 said:
Once again, baseless airforce bashing from someone who has seen military life from only one side of the coin.  If you cannot get over this army/airforce thing, message me, i will take you under my wing for a few weeks and show you that the army is not the be-all-end-all of military life.  If you think that the supply techs/clerks on an airforce base are any more "agreeable", you are saddly mistaken.

AESOP081: 

First you (perhaps justifiably) complain that people are indulging in "Airforce bashing".  Then, two sentences later, you bash two support trades!! 

Hardly a consistent postion.

Retired CC said:
AESOP081:  

First you (perhaps justifiably) complain that people are indulging in "Airforce bashing".   Then, two sentences later, you bash two support trades!!  

Hardly a consistent postion.

I think you missed the point, on that one.
AESOP was trying to point out that just because we are on an AIRFORCE BASE/WING does not make the supply sytem any better than on an Army base.
Other posters have given rebuttals on this subject and implied that the reason  we get things so easy and have better service is because we are posted to an Airforce Wing.
He wasn't bashing any trades just trying to point this fact out and showing pride in service by defending it From a few naysayers a couple of posts back . After all the the topic is the supply system and not an airforce/ army debate.

Read the entire thread again and you will see that he has a constant position and is maintaining.

mover1 said:
AESOP was trying to point out that just because we are on an AIRFORCE BASE/WING does not make the supply sytem any better than on an Army base.
Other posters have given rebuttals on this subject and implied that the reason   we get things so easy and have better service is because we are posted to an Airforce Wing.
He wasn't bashing any trades just trying to point this fact out and showing pride in service by defending it From a few naysayers a couple of posts back . After all the the topic is the supply system and not an airforce/ army debate.

Read the entire thread again and you will see that he has a constant position and is maintaining.

Quite correct, thanks mover1

aesop

The best example that I can think of to demonstrate the superior service one recieves on  an air force base would be the food.

Now I'm sure that there is some sort of national "standard" for the cooks, which is probably met on most bases, most of the time. But having done a number courses in Trenton, and being posted to Edmonton, can you really say (with a straight face) that the service and quality encountered at the Trenton mess is the equivalent of the service and quality of the Edmonton mess?

Of course not. Troops in Edmonton de-link the minute they buy a bar fridge and a george foreman grille, and the courses I've done in Trenton have resulted in a moderate weight gain - for myself and all of the other army types who are continually astounded that a military mess can be that good!

The point is, why do you find it so hard to believe that there there could be differing levels of service available on different bases? Is the food example not sufficiently illustrative?

mover1 said:
Other posters have given rebuttals on this subject and implied that the reason  we get things so easy and have better service is because we are posted to an Airforce Wing.

You're right - the entire thread is consistent in its' CSS tradesmen bashing.

Why don't you all take a deep breath, and realize that the poor CSS slob who doesn't have your gear in stock wishes he DID.  He did NOT specifically plan to ruin your whole day.  In fact - if you're dealing with someone at the front counter, the whole situation is WAY beyond his/her scope of influence.

I do agree that there are many shortcomings in CSS systems - but I don't believe you should be pointing your fingers at the individual Pte, Cpl, MCpl, whatever, and saying (in effect)  "HE's the problem!!"

As far as the CSS jobs being the same from base to base, you're correct as far as you go.  The jobs are DISTINCTLY different, however, between a flying squadron, and a maneuver unit (or Svc Bn for that matter).

It's not the fact that you guys are pissed at support systems that caught my attention - for the most part I agree with you.  It was the continued harping on individual soldiers/airmen/sailors who are desparately trying to make a flawed system work for you that irritated me.

Per Ardua ad Astra

GO!!! said:
aesop

The best example that I can think of to demonstrate the superior service one recieves on   an air force base would be the food.

Now I'm sure that there is some sort of national "standard" for the cooks, which is probably met on most bases, most of the time. But having done a number courses in Trenton, and being posted to Edmonton, can you really say (with a straight face) that the service and quality encountered at the Trenton mess is the equivalent of the service and quality of the Edmonton mess?

Of course not. Troops in Edmonton de-link the minute they buy a bar fridge and a george foreman grille, and the courses I've done in Trenton have resulted in a moderate weight gain - for myself and all of the other army types who are continually astounded that a military mess can be that good!

The point is, why do you find it so hard to believe that there there could be differing levels of service available on different bases? Is the food example not sufficiently illustrative?

GO!!

I agree with you on the edmonton/trenton food situation.  I was posted to edmonton for 4 years and was not impressed with the food service there at all.  But the mess here where i am posted now is by far the worse one i have ever been to.  I agree with you that there are varying levels of service from base to base but where i stop agreeing with you is when you make it an airforce/army division.  Its not because that i am on an airforce base that i get better service anymore than its not because i am aircrew that i get better service than the maintainers. You find good CSS folks on every base the same way you find Good CSS folks on every base as well.....Alot of our CSS folks here come from the army BTW.

You misunderstood, I wasn't bashing the airforce.

And, Retired CC, I wasn't bashing individual supply techs either, I know that most of the time the ones I deal with are usualy friendly and try to be helpful but are hampered by policy or an incompetent superior.

However, there is deffinitiely a lot that needs improving in the supply system at the ASU's and bases I've had to deal with.  There's also a lot of improvement that could be made in the selection proccess for, and evaluation of, clerks at the unit level, at least within the reserves.  The few times I've dealt with regforce clerks working on actual bases, my experiences have always been positive, so maybe it's not so bad outside of toon-land.

As for the airforce/army thing, once again, I wasn't trying to bash anyone, I was just pointing out what GO tried to explain in his last post - that different bases have different levels of service.  Not neccesarily because someone is trying to "pamper" the airforce types; more likely it's a problem within the supply system.  Maybe because an airforce member needs less individual pieces of kit, the clothing stores on airforce basis can aquire and stock more of it.  Maybe because your kit doesn't wear out as quickly as an infanteers, you get more use out of it, therefore exchanging less often and taking some strain off the supply system on your base.  I don't know exactly what the cause is, or even how the supply system works on the other side of that counter, but there has to be a reason why you've had mainly positive experiences whereas those of us who aren't airforce have had plenty of negative ones.

48Highlander said:
You misunderstood, I wasn't bashing the airforce.

And, Retired CC, I wasn't bashing individual supply techs either, I know that most of the time the ones I deal with are usualy friendly and try to be helpful but are hampered by policy or an incompetent superior.

However, there is deffinitiely a lot that needs improving in the supply system at the ASU's and bases I've had to deal with.  There's also a lot of improvement that could be made in the selection proccess for, and evaluation of, clerks at the unit level, at least within the reserves.  The few times I've dealt with regforce clerks working on actual bases, my experiences have always been positive, so maybe it's not so bad outside of toon-land.

As for the airforce/army thing, once again, I wasn't trying to bash anyone, I was just pointing out what GO tried to explain in his last post - that different bases have different levels of service.  Not neccesarily because someone is trying to "pamper" the airforce types; more likely it's a problem within the supply system.  Maybe because an airforce member needs less individual pieces of kit, the clothing stores on airforce basis can aquire and stock more of it.  Maybe because your kit doesn't wear out as quickly as an infanteers, you get more use out of it, therefore exchanging less often and taking some strain off the supply system on your base.  I don't know exactly what the cause is, or even how the supply system works on the other side of that counter, but there has to be a reason why you've had mainly positive experiences whereas those of us who aren't airforce have had plenty of negative ones.

Fair 'nuff - point taken.

Perhaps I can shed some reasoned light on the subject.  My (now retired) wife was a Sup Tech.  She served with the Airforce (in Edmonton, back when it was an Airbase), 1 Svc Bn, 7 CFSD, and 1 GS Bn.  I got to hear about the problems of all the organizations she was in (and hear about it, and hear about it, and hear about it!  If any of you repeat this to her, I'll deny saying it!!  Uh - some idiot posted this and signed my name to it!).

Anyway - when she was on the Airbase, and when she was with 7 CFSD her ONLY job was Supply.  She was a soldier, yes, but her job in those places could have been done by a civvie (in fact one of her biggest complaints with 7 CFSD was having civvie "union Gods" as "supervisors".)

Now - when she was with 1 Svc Bn she was totally a field soldier - her platoon was not tasked with anything but supporting  1 CMBG field deployments.  When not deployed, she and her platoon TRAINED - basic "soldier" training, trades training, etcetera.

When she was posted to 1 GS Bn she was part of a unit that had a "split personality".  Members were tasked not only with support to what used to be known as "Base Functions" (which were static in nature), but were also tasked with "field functions" - providing deployable third line supply functions to LFWA, including 1 CMBG.  The resultant mess was predictable - she and her fellow GS Bn soldiers ran around like chickens with their heads cut off - attempting to provide "Base" functions (in her case - Clothing Stores), while at the same time having kit inspections, CO's marches, ranges, etcetera, etcetera.  There didn't seem to be any identifiable MISSION.  To be fair to GS Bn leadership, she was a Cpl and therefore not privy to the decisions being made higher up - but the result was confusion, poor service to the soldiers (which ripped her apart, by the way) and lackadaisical field training.  The whole mess contributed to her decision to pull the plug.

Now - peripheral to the above discussion - I was the Ops NCO in 1 Svc Bn when some genius came up with the idea for GS Bns.  I was involved in producing TO&Es, org charts, etcetera, etcetera.  I did NOT have any input into the organization, I merely assisted - but that involvement gave me a unique perspective on what GS Bns were conceived to be.  They were NOT conceived to be "field deployable" - and therefore the extra manning required to enable them to both conduct their PRIMARY mission of STATIC support to Army bases AND conduct "soldier training" was NOT built into them.  (Neither were the weapons, MSE, or other ancillary considerations). 
I don't know where/when/how 1 GS Bn (I cannot speak about 2 and 5 GS Bns, as I simply don't know) acquired a field deployable role.  I can attest to the fact, however, that it wasn't supposed to have that role and wasn't manned for it (at least at inception).  I don't believe that their TO&E or REMAR was EVER changed to reflect the changing reality.  You are now all living with the result.

Having said all that - perhaps the (perceived?) difference in support between Airforce and Army bases has it's roots in the fact that Airforce base personnel, for the most part, don't have a concurrent role which, on a regular basis, takes them away from their primary trades function?

I dunno - I'm just a dumb ass retired CSS soldier.

I know it rains in the air force too, however I did not notice that 17 wing was covered in CADPAT TW! ;)

BITTER PPCLI CPL said:
I know it rains in the air force too, however I did not notice that 17 wing was covered in CADPAT TW! ;)

17 wing was finaly issued with all its CADPAT uniforms just before i left in Feb.  So now they dont have to wear the stupid blue work dress with the CADPAT rain coat.  Maybe if they are still in the blue coveralls though.

48highlander:

I've only been in the airforce for 2 years, so i am well aware of what its like on the army side.  I am well aware of the beating your kit takes, my combats in the army rarely survived an exercise unscathed, concertina and all.  You are totaly right, i have less kit than you do, no argument there.  The only peice of kit that i have that seems to take a beating are my flying gloves. I've been posted to Petawawa, Edmonton, Gagetown, Greenwood, spent time in Winnipeg, St-Jean and Chilliwack so i'm well aware that, from one base to another , the quality of service you get varies.  But i have been mostly on army bases so i know its not always bad and sometimes it can be worse on an airbase.

2 GS Battalion is going to merge with 2 Svc BN here in Petawawa next summer.  So it'll be just one big support unit.  I don't know how much things are going to change in reality though. 

Back