• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Student takes grenade to class

Roy Harding said:
It's OK, my friend, even if you WERE aiming at me.  I will get back to you with stats supporting my point (could be a while - I'm kinda' sliding in and out here, around my domestic duties).

We're engaged in an enlightened debate here - your disagreement with me is not taken as a personal slight.  If I only held discourse with those who agreed with me, I'd never learn anything.

Fair enough, although it seems that our enlightened debate has degenerated into a bunch of guys agreeing on everything.. We need to throw some beer into the mix and get things heated up again  ;D

On a more serious note though, are these lockdown drills something that happens in Canada? Note that as I am not a parent, I have little knowledge of what happens in schools nowdays.

I took a dud grenade in for show and tell once, got it at some army surplus in pennsylvania, I also once took in like 10 bayonets from the war of 1812 and everyone was passing them around, ahh the good ol' days.

The only drills I ever did were fire drills, but in highschool we were told where the "extra bottles of water and iodine pills" were, just incase something happened at darlington or pickering. haha

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I disagree, if the teacher wasn't sure [and really, what % of civilians would know?] than he/she did exactly the right thing in evacuating the school.

Maybe some good old fashioned parent to the teacher information sharing beforehand would have been in order?

I say well done, Prof.

Yes I agree entirely with you Bruce, the teacher had no other choice in this circumstance.
The only comment I would make is schools are getting so sensitive to "liability" ,  and rightly so, that "common sense"  has to take a back seat. Happily that wasn't the case when most of us went to school.
I make these comments with the recent observation by teachers that they can't "fail" a student or give them "zero" on a test. The principal wants to keep his stats looking good.  :(

It must have been right in the middle of the 90's when I was in sixth grade. I used to doodle a lot when I had free time that wasn't spent running around doing kid stuff. One thing I doodled was a cartoon tank on the first page of an agenda book each of the students had to carry around at that school. It was OBVIOUSLY a cartoon tank drawn by a sixth grader without particularly good drawing skills. Just a tank speeding a long, not firing or anything, with a little cartoon dude popping out of the CC hatch.

Anyway, a few weeks later I must have left it open on my desk or something, or my teacher was looking through it, either way she FLIPPED out on me when she saw the cartoon tank, saying it was violent, inappropriate, etc, etc, etc. Long story short, after the one-sided conversation that page of my agenda was missing. Just goes to show how paranoid and crazy some people can be... THAT was overreacting on her part.

For grenades and the like... I have to agree, that nowadays it's not quite a risk you want to take with it being live, especially since most teachers would not be able to tell the difference. Even if we military members know that it's next to impossible for a student to come across a live grenade in Canada nowadays, the teacher doesn't know this and has to make the best judgement with what he/she does know. What are the odds that the parent even knew the kid was going to bring the grenade into show and tell?

roko,
considering the number of immigrants in Canada coming from some very violent places, might have some odds and ends and bitts that go bang with a little bit of encouragement....
Should teachers who don't have a clue of what a blue grenade is all about be worried?

Good point, Geo... Makes a better reason for why teachers should be weary.

Kernewek said:
A friend of mine actually did that in first grade. Brought it in for show and tell, told the class it was a dud (but authentic), and nothing came of it. How the times have changed!

I did that way back in grade 6. Bring in an item, explain its history and the basic mechanics of how it works. I just had to show the teacher how it was defused. Pretty easy to see since they had large holes drilled through the bottom

Back