• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strangest request since I've been home.

RHFC_piper

Reaction score
Since I've been home I've been asked to do quite a few public relations / awareness things. Mainly media interviews and public speaking gigs. I have no problem doing any of these, since it gives me an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of our work over there, express what the solders go through, and try to build support for our troops.

I’ve talked to some of the others who have come home and most of them have had the same opportunities.  It seems as though the reservists have a greater opportunity to do this, because we’re closer to the public and in communities with much less military representation, but I’ve talked to regular forces members who’ve had equal requests.

Like I’ve said, most of these requests have been simple interview and public addresses, but a few days ago, I received a very odd request, and almost turned it down.

I was asked to attend a Toronto Argonauts Football game, as a representative of veterans of Afghanistan, and participate in the opening coin toss. Basically, I go to an Argos game, flip a coin, and enjoy the game.

At first, I thought it was a joke, or just a trite request.  I didn’t see how it would benefit the cause… (The cause being what I stated above; the troops over there.)  Then I got to thinking; I might have the opportunity to meet some CFL players… I need to make the best of this… so I’m going to bring with me the following items;

1 X RCR Flag (maybe also PPCLI and RHFC flags)
1 X Digital Camera
1 X Digital Video Camera

I’m bringing all this in the hopes that I can get some supportive messages from the players or at least a team photo with the RCR flag. I know it’s not the closest team to Petawawa, but I’m taking any opportunity to send cool stuff to the troops.
(besides… Where there’s Argos, there are Argogirls cheerleaders... I’m sure it wouldn’t matter what team they’re from if they were holding a flag for a photo.)

So that’s the plan.  Toronto Argo’s vs. Montreal Alouettes, 28 Oct. 06.  Game starts at 1500h.

You lucky sod!  I would give my left, er...."thumb" to be onfield with the Argos.  I've been a fan of theirs since I was a wee one!
Anyway, I'll watch for that game, it's on CBC nationwide (english) and RDS (french).  Should be an excellent game.  Tell Pinball that I said hello (he hasn't a clue who I am, I've just always wanted to say that).  Tell Mike O'Shea that as a fellow alumnus (Go Western!), he is making the purple proud!

But, in all seriousness, enjoy the moment and make us proud!

von Grognard said:
You lucky sod!  I would give my left, er...."thumb" to be onfield with the Argos.  I've been a fan of theirs since I was a wee one!
Anyway, I'll watch for that game, it's on CBC nationwide (english) and RDS (french).  Should be an excellent game.  Tell Pinball that I said hello (he hasn't a clue who I am, I've just always wanted to say that).  Tell Mike O'Shea that as a fellow alumnus (Go Western!), he is making the purple proud!

But, in all seriousness, enjoy the moment and make us proud!

I'll post some pics when it's all said and done...

I am more than sure that if you took your flags and got some good shots of the Cheerleaders holding them to send over to the guys would be one of the greatest gifts in their Christmas Stockings that they ever had.  Coming from you would only add to their morale.

Piper,

Make sure you are wearing the ARMY.ca t-shirt and have them use the ARMY.ca coin for the coin toss. Man, would that be cool. ;D

GUNS said:
Piper,

Make sure you are wearing the ARMY.ca t-shirt and have them use the ARMY.ca coin for the coin toss. Man, would that be cool. ;D

Well... they want me in DEU's, but I just registered here as a subscribed user, so if I get the coin in time, I'll see what I can do.  ;)

Maybe I'll see if I can get a player to throw on a red Army.ca T-shirt for some pics. (I have an XL ordered)
I don't want to push it too much though.  Ah... what the heck, when am I going to have this kind of opportunity again.

Don't be shy, PUSH, PUSH :).

The worst they can do is saying no ...

RHFC_piper said:
I don't want to push it too much though.  Ah... what the heck, when am I going to have this kind of opportunity again.

Push away, Piper!  THEY asked you, remember?  Besides, what can they do to you.... send you to Afghanistan???

Lucky  B%$#@!  On my last tour, all my company got was a plug from Don Cherry.  Yes, he's famous but he's not an Argogirl!

Yrys said:
The worst they can do is saying no ...
Actually, they are all football players.  The worst they could do is turn him into a tackle dummy ;)

j/k

Piper: see what you can do!

Cheers

von Grognard said:
The worst they could do is turn him into a tackle dummy ;)

Well,if they do that, it will be in front of cameras.
I'm sure the public will rally behind Piper and the army,
if the Argos tried to play like that with him...

Thus he will achieve something he wants
it would benefit the cause… (The cause being what I stated above; the troops over there.)
which is a win/win situation

;D

LOL: so true.  But poor Piper would have to withstand one of the CFL's most effective defensive lines, the poor bugger! 

:D

Yup . Push.

Get that team photo if you can and send to the TF. It'll look good with the camp flag in front. Should look nice in a mess at KAF.

Take your RCR and RHFC T shirts and give them to the team Captains as a sign of appreciation.

Pinball has been an exemplary citizen since he showed up in these parts, many moons ago, give him the army.ca tshirt.

'Big smile and say cheeeeeesssse!'

Now about the cheerleaders... DEU eh? that means kilt eh? ...... :o

And be sure and mention, on air, that you've bet your medical pension on the Argos by 3 points....   >:D

Your mission Piper, if you chose to accept it, is to work a plug in for army.ca.

It is an honour to represent all of your comrades.  Good luck.

Journeyman said:
And be sure and mention, on air, that you've bet your medical pension on the Argos by 3 points....   >:D
Well, that's a given
ARRRRRRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!

Haggis said:
Push away, Piper!  THEY asked you, remember?  Besides, what can they do to you.... send you to Afghanistan???

Lucky  B%$#@!  On my last tour, all my company got was a plug from Don Cherry.  Yes, he's famous but he's not an Argogirl!

Well.. since I've been home I've found that I've become much more mellow... simply becaue I know nothing here is really all that bad.
As for pushing for this stuff; I'll ask nicely, and if they say no, I'll pull the 'help out a wounded war vet' card, well up some tears and give them one of these looks;
puss-in-boots.gif

complete with glengarry in hand, held tightly.

von Grognard said:
Actually, they are all football players.  The worst they could do is turn him into a tackle dummy ;)

Who's gunna tackle this...
puss-in-boots.gif

"The worst they could do is turn him into a tackle dummy "

- The ARGOS?  The cheerleaders could hurt him more...

TCBF said:
"The worst they could do is turn him into a tackle dummy "

- The ARGOS?  The cheerleaders could hurt him more...
Yowch!  Them's fightin' words!  :argument:

;)

Now, just because I seem to be the sites self-appointed "fun police", If I was in your shoes, I would ask for a pre-approved look at the intro's.

After having watched, and listened, to HOM's defense of the FAC's and pilot that day, I don't think that it would be a stretch for some script writer to try and give the 'American friendly fire" a push instead of "wounded while serving in Afghanistan".

Just thinking......

Congrats!

+1 to what Bruce said - sad to say, the media will pay attention, so the messaging has to be correct.

Most important part - ENJOY!  Push the lads/lasses still overseas, push Army.ca, but try to have as good a time as you can, too.  If you're going to go through the pain, hard work & frustration of injury/recovery after doing your duty, savour whatever good stuff comes your way!

Looking forward to the pix if you can manage them.

Back