• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Step Test

dk said:
If you feel that you've improved in the PT dept. can you retest after you've been merit listed?

No because there is no requirement unless your previous test expires.

dk said:
If you feel that you've improved in the PT dept. can you retest after you've been merit listed?

All you need is the minimum for your age and you pass the PT test. That is all the merit boards care about.

I'm not worried about the step test or the running. Our entire family gets out every night for a 2.5 k brisk walk, and by brisk I mean a near jog. My kids were having issues keeping up with my hubby and I so they started to ride their bikes with us. We get home and all of us do our sit ups and push ups (I suck at them) and then we are done for the night. Sunday is our break day.

I think what i am finding most difficult is the push ups since I have never been good at them anyways. I can handle my own, and am a very strong woman, but can not do push ups very well....not sure why, I just can't.

I hope I pass the PT test though....I am getting a little oldĀ  :eek:

you'lll need to actually RUN the 2.4 km 11 or 12 mins, not sure on the actual time. As for pushups and situps, if you suck at them, you'll need to get better at them, especially for the fitness test. You have to do everything, one right after another, and that makes it a lot more harder than just practising pushups. Goodluck with it all.

Fry said:
you'lll need to actually RUN the 2.4 km 11 or 12 mins, not sure on the actual time. As for pushups and situps, if you suck at them, you'll need to get better at them, especially for the fitness test. You have to do everything, one right after another, and that makes it a lot more harder than just practising pushups. Goodluck with it all.

I'm not worried about the run...used to run all the time before I had my youngest son. I still ahve my endurance, just a matter of mastering those Pushups....man do I hate those!!!

jerrythunder said:
they actually make u run that? i thought it was determined in the step test :-\

I was told the same thing that they only determine it by the step test, but I am not taking any chances...train for the run. :salute:

"I'm not worried about the step test or the running. Our entire family gets out every night for a 2.5 k brisk walk, and by brisk I mean a near jog."Ā 

That is great that you are active, but walking and running are not the same thing at all, you need to run, remember once you pass the PT you still have to go to BMQ/BOTC.Ā  This also goes for push ups and sit ups, at this point make sure you are doing quality over quantity.

As for the step test remember your heart rate recovery is being tested, so include some intervals in your training, start with small busrts of speed and then slow to a jog.

weight and age are factors in the step test, being 34 and 240lbs I had to go 12 mins in order to pass( wanted to go 15 mins, but I was nervous.)Ā  So lighter is better, can't change age( although I act like a 18 year old, when doing sports).Ā 

I wish you the best of luck in your testing, if you have any ???'s PM me, might have answers may not....

cheers
FITSUMO

well I am not a tooth pick...lol I am a pretty average sized girl, but I do weigh more on the scale just because I do have good muscles that are being kept warm by this nice layer of winter insulation...hehehe

I am hoping that between my increase in exercise, increased meal frequency and all this darn water, that I may wake up nice and thin and 150lbs..lol :eek: ;D

I have muscle warmers to...hehe.Ā  Over the last 2 years I have lost 72 pounds, and I did that by this really complex formula

drink lots of water + training at least 30 mins a day(at the start, much more now) + portion control = 72lbs loss.

from just running 2 k I progressed to doing a duathlon, olympic distance tri, 1/2 marathon, 24 hr mtb relay in one summer.Ā  then I started training for a 1/2 ironman, but the army thing right now is more important, so i am working on speed instead of being a diseal.

FITSUMO said:
I have muscle warmers to...hehe. Ā  Ā Over the last 2 years I have lost 72 pounds, and I did that by this really complex formula

drink lots of water + training at least 30 mins a day(at the start, much more now) + portion control = 72lbs loss.

from just running 2 k I progressed to doing a duathlon, olympic distance tri, 1/2 marathon, 24 hr mtb relay in one summer. Ā  then I started training for a 1/2 ironman, but the army thing right now is more important, so i am working on speed instead of being a diseal.

AWESOME!!!!!

I used to be a major runner. Track, cross country, the works!! Cadets did alot for me as far as wanting to stay thin, then I had kids....there were no issues until after my third. Having him, moving to a foreign country and depression cause me to pack it on....and it got worse when we moved here to NS because I didn't know anyone here...so i peaked at 190lbs...way to much for my comfort. Went and saw my doc and went onto some meds and have been dropping weight since, only 20-30lbs to go until I hit my goal weight!! That is where the exercise, water and food come in...hehe

For the love of God folks it's the friggin' Step test! I haven't known anyone to fail the step test. Enough said! Nobody is making you run 10 km, you just get on the gizmo, step up and down to some really corny music and get your pulse taken and that's that. I would say that unless you have serious/cardio problem you will pass. As for the smokers...whatever you have been made to believe about smokers having difficulty in doing the step test or "keeping up" on Basic, SWALLOW IT! I will let you know that 90% of all folks who topped Basic out at the "Jean" were smokers when I was there and infact were always presented themselves, fully dressed (thankfully) and 10 mins prior to all timings. After-all everyone needs their morning fix ;D Furthermore, when I was on IAP and BOTC, the standards of the smokers continued to not surprise me.

1 and 2 and 3 and 4, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.... *covers ears* MAKE IT GO AWAY!!! :crybaby:

>>Infanteer101<< said:
As for the smokers...whatever you have been made to believe about smokers having difficulty in doing the step test or "keeping up" on Basic, SWALLOW IT! I will let you know that 90% of all folks who topped Basic out at the "Jean" were smokers when I was there and infact were always presented themselves, fully dressed (thankfully) and 10 mins prior to all timings. After-all everyone needs their morning fix ;D Furthermore, when I was on IAP and BOTC, the standards of the smokers continued to not surprise me.

Damn it!!!

I just quit again too.... ;D 8)

Ironically, I just started again... I had no difficulty doing the step test while smoking, if you keep up with your cardio then you shouldn't have a problem either...

Cheers *goes out for a dart*

Patrick H. said:
Ironically, I just started again... I had no difficulty doing the step test while smoking, if you keep up with your cardio then you shouldn't have a problem either...

Cheers *goes out for a dart*

I had quit last year for 10 months, and when a huge amount of stress happened around here, I started smoking again.
Now we can barely afford for two of us to smoke, so basically we quit this morning when the pack ran out last night.
I'm feeling ok, but my hubby is turning into an arse...he doesn't take well to having to quit anything..lol

Bye *goes to have another cup of tea*

Chewing gum really helped me when I quit.. A lot of gum... The hardest part is breaking the routine of it, not having the morning smoke, or specific times of the day when you have the craving. Just have to find out what works for you...

Cheers

Hehe, I love quoting my instructors cuz they are just so darn full of wisdom! In the words of Sgt L: "Tabernak! No one likes a quitter, come on let's go, I want those cherries fired up!"

*Whoohoo time for a butt*

You guys are bad!!!

I am on 18 hours of not smoking, so I am doing ok. Been substituting smoking with Dentyne and candy necklaces...lol

I have to keep my hands and mouth busy....so chewing gum and typing seems to be working so far!
I have quit before and I know I can do it again....

I was talking to some buddies of mine, and they said they only had to do 3 rounds of the step sets, but I had to do 5 rounds. 3-7, is their any reason why i had to do two more??

Back