• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Specific times for annual leave on ship?

Price_is_Right

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm new to the Navy and I'm currently on my QL3, so I haven't been to sea yet.  I was just wondering, are there specific months or times of the year that ships do not sail?  I'm East Coast so I wondering that about the Halifax class ships.  Is there a specific time for holidays or can you just take your annual leave whenever the ships not sailing and how far in advance can you request for annual leave?  Also, if your granted annual leave in advance, can that be taken away later if your ship is sailing in that time period that your annual leave was scheduled for? ???  Just looking to clear that up, hope somebody can clarify that for me.  Thanks. ;)

Price_is_Right said:
I'm new to the Navy and I'm currently on my QL3, so I haven't been to sea yet.  I was just wondering, are there specific months or times of the year that ships do not sail?  I'm East Coast so I wondering that about the Halifax class ships.  Is there a specific time for holidays or can you just take your annual leave whenever the ships not sailing and how far in advance can you request for annual leave?  Also, if your granted annual leave in advance, can that be taken away later if your ship is sailing in that time period that your annual leave was scheduled for? ???  Just looking to clear that up, hope somebody can clarify that for me.  Thanks. ;)

Most ships have block leave periods for Christmas, and also sometimes for the summer.  This will of course be dependent upon the sailing schedule and operational requirements.  As well, during these times, there is still a need for personnel for duty watches. 

Your leave can always be canceled or changed, due to operational requirements, if you need to be recalled due to a specific situation etc.  As for how far in advance, once again ship dependent.  I highly recommend that if you have a specific reason for needing leave at a certain time, that you advise your supervisor as soon as you are posted onboard, preferably in memo format detailing the reasons.  Not saying of course that they will accommodate you, but the more effort you put in on your end, the better it looks.

Price_is_Right said:
I'm East Coast so I wondering that about the Halifax class ships.
As you are new to the Navy, I presume you meant to say that you were curious about Halifax based ships' correct?

Reason I ask is that both coasts have Halifax Class ships, as well as Tribal, Kingston, Victoria & Protecteur Class ships.

Airmich summed it up very well in that during the Holidays most will see some form of block leave provided they are not deployed, and that it is always dependant on the ship's schedule itself.

I meant to post this earlier for you too.  From QR&O Chapter 16 - Leave:

16.01 – WITHHOLDING OF AND RECALL FROM LEAVE

(1) Leave may be withheld from an officer or non-commissioned member only when there is a military requirement to do so.

(2) An officer or non-commissioned member on leave may be recalled to duty only:

(a) because of imperative military requirements; and

(b) when the member’s commanding officer personally directs the recall.

(3) An officer or non-commissioned member recalled to duty under paragraph (2) ceases to be on leave and is on duty during the period of the journey from the place from which he is recalled to his place of duty and during the period of the return journey if he resumes leave immediately after completion of the duty for which he was recalled.

Price_is_Right said:

You can submit a leave pass at any time onboard the ship.  It is in your best interest however to know the ships schedule and manning requirements of your section.  If the ship is not sailing and everyone is not away on course you have a better chance of having your leave approved, and as well, if your ship is sailing, but can spare you, you may also be granted leave while the ship sails (this usually will only happen during short overnight/week sails for sea trials etc -- non operational stuff)

It is better to submit a leave pass as early as possible, however I've submitted leave passes for the next day and had them approved by the afternoon. 

When you first join, you of course will receive your 20 days of leave at the beginning of the fiscal year (1st April).  This leave is yours.  You will be _required_ to take this leave and your section onboard your ship should try to ensure that everyone is able to take their leave throughout the year.  Christmas and Summer are usually the periods where people burn the most leave.  If for some reason (most likely operational reasons) you are unable to take your leave, you should be granted the option to accumulate the leave you were unable to take, or it will be payed out to you in cash.

Once you have a signed leave pass, you are not required to show up. The only person that can recall you is the CO, and if you're re-called, you will get those leave days back.

Hope this answers your questions.

Ryan

Speaking from experience here, your CO will generally only recall you from lve during times of national emergency or if the ship is Ready Duty and required for "operations", there are believe it or not serveral MMO (Military Manning Overhead) Billets onboard ships in each trade that cease to exist on operations, what I'm saying is if the ship sails for a sovpat and you have a lve pass in because you want to get married or even go golfing for a week, the CO won't recall you, it costs him too much in the end (a recall or denied lve pass especially after the end of January is usualy enough grounds to request accumulation of lve). I've only seen it happen twice in the last 10 years (I'm sure its happened more but I've only seen it twice), hope it sheds some light for you.

who980 said:
When you first join, you of course will receive your 20 days of leave at the beginning of the fiscal year (1st April).  This leave is yours.  You will be _required_ to take this leave and your section onboard your ship should try to ensure that everyone is able to take their leave throughout the year. 
In addition to what Ryan says, it is not uncommon for ships to direct the ship's company to have a certain percent of their leave completed by a certain date, and a leave pass in to cover off the rest by another.  For example, 10 days gone by Sept 1, 15 by beginning Jan, and your leave pass for the final 5 to be submitted in Dec.  This will give the command team the warm and fuzzy feeling that everyone (well nearly everyone) has a plan in place and that the majority of the crew wont be clamouring to burn 15 days each in March (the end of the leave year)

Back