• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soon to be LdSH

soon to be infantry

Inactive
Reaction score
          Hey guys, start basic on the 9th of july, regs, and was told on completion of basic and MOC training I would be joining the LSH. from your expieriences, is there anything that you would recomend I do or dont do once im there?   What is it like socially on base? as far as social events. Just interested in what the living conditions are like on base. thanks alot in advance for any responses. :cdn:

Firstly good on ya for getting on with an Armoured Regiment of Canada which is steeped in tradition. Secondly, the full abbreviation for the Lord Strathcona Horse is 'LdSH' (RC), as I am sure they'd let ya   know about it.

As you'll find out, service in the Defence Force is not only a job, its a lifestyle and a culture. Living in barracks has inproved drastically over the years, and you'll have your privacy and all the ammenities once you have completed your training. As for social life, there is messes (military club/pub) for you to go to, plus the CANEX (CF BX/PX) system for your shopping. Some CANEXs are finally coming into the   '20th century' as for many years many of them were so outdated and offered little.

PLus you'll be in Alberta (thats where they were 10 yrs ago anyway), close to the Rockies, and all that good stuff.

I know I have been out of the CF system for almost 10 yrs, but somethings never change.

Cheers,

Wes

Good luck and good trg!

Cheers,

Wes

Soon to be,

Here's some basic advice (which applies to any soldier): keep your mouth closed and your ears open. You will no doubt think that you are a rock hard super soldier once you finish training. Not by a long shot. There's a reason they call it basic. Even SQ and DP1 will only teach you about 10% of what you need to know about being a soldier. The rest you will learn while in garrison, the field, and deployed overseas. Too many young soldiers come in thinking they know everything. The smart ones remain quiet, only asking questions, and offering no advice.

I left Edmonton for Gagetown last year, and I miss Edmonton. I will be back in Edmonton once my "sentence" here at the Armour School is complete. The career "mangler" said 2007 is when I can expect to leave, but I hope it's sooner. Edmonton is probably (arguably) the best base to be in (army wise anyways) in Canada, especially if you're from out West. The base is at the north end of the city, and isn't (wasn't last year) serviced by public transit, so it helps to have a car (or a friend with a car   8) ). There isn't much socially going on at the base, other than the Jr Ranks, which is nice by most Jr Ranks (the club for Pte's to Master Corporals) standards. Most people go downtown to Whyte Ave, or to the West Edmonton Mall, where there are a lot of gigantasaurus bars. The army guy hangout is the Green House, where their are more potential Jerry Springer show guests than anywhere outside of Oromocto and/or Petawawa (think trailer-trash trying to glom onto a young army buck.....).

The opportunity to go to concerts is pretty high, plus tickets to see the Eskimos play are quite cheap, and the sometimes you can get a cheap tickets to see the Oilers (forget about it when Toronto or Montreal come to town, though). The mountains (Jasper) are about 4 hours away, so skiing is a good option in the winter. The River Valley is nice to job or bike, or rollerblade, in the summer. Lots of festivals throughout the summer as well.

All in all, a good posting, but be prepared to spend some time in Wainwright (2 1/2 hours away) where 95% of all field training and ranges are conducted (some minimal field trg can be conducted on base). And the Regiment is gearing up to send a Sqn to Afghanistan, though you will miss out on that, so you can look forward to all the war stories and new cars that people will buy after the tour (bum rides from those guys......)

Anyway, have a good one, and anytime you think that Edmonton sucks as a posting, ask to visit Petawawa. You'll change your tune pretty quick.

Al

P.S I forgot to put the Regimental motto: "PERSEVERANCE!"

lDDDDDDDSH not lsh I got shit on for that have fun in wainwright :p

I can't speak for the military side of things, but I will echo Allan's general sentiments about Edmonton.  I went to University in Edmonton, and I very much like the city.  I miss it as well.

ANd just in case some wise old Corporal like myself tries to pull your leg, the  four guys in the canoe on our cap badge are NOT Huey, Louie, Duey and Percy Verance.  :eek: ;D

Edmonton is great for a posting, even if you don't like big cities.  However, Edmonton sucks as a military base.  No training area where a troop can go for a day to iron out wrinkles, conduct courses, etc.  Building a military base on an old airfield base is a silly idea. 

But, congratulations on your choice of a career, and best of luck during your training!  You have been offered some good advice, and it would be wise to heed it!  While the taverns and such are good, don't let them rule you.  Try to save a bit of cash for when you go on leave, nothing impresses the opposite sex more than a young person in fine physical shape, neat in appearance, with a bit of cash to spend on them!

Good luck!

Few more quick questions for you, as far as deployments go, how often can i expect to be deployed overseas?. How dose the rotation work amoung the armoured regiments?.  Just wondering if in a 3 year contract the chances of me actually being deployed are high.

I'll answer your question with a question: How high is the sky??? The answer: who knows? Deployments come and go at the drop of a hat, on the whims of the current government, and more precisely, the world situation. There are so many "almost" tours that people were all trained to go on, and then the mission faded away, because peace broke out in that country (or our government changed it's mind). On September 10th, 2001, I don't think anyone in the CF thought we would have troops in Afghanistan less than 6 months later, but guess what happened? Haiti (pt II) came up pretty quick, and is ending at the end of the summer. Bosnia isn't even a "gimme" anymore if you are in a field unit, as the manning for that is dropping big time.

There are people who have served more than 20 years in the CF and haven't gone overseas once, and others with less than 10 years in that have been on 4 or 5 missions. A lot of it is "right time, right place" (or wrong time, wrong place, depending on if you never got a tour, or far too many..... there are a lot of people who just have the worst luck). I would say that in your first 3 years you would be fairly likely to get a tour, and more likely if you do 6 years (the first 6 months or so of your career are training, and that excludes you from tours, and if you miss out on the "work up" (pre-deployment training), forget going. Then, you can't go on tour if your contract is about to expire (ie. they won't send you on a 6 month mission if your contract runs out in 3 months). With the way Afghanistan is going, I would say that you are fairly likely to go at some point in your career, but who knows.

Good luck with your training, and here are a few pointers once you get to the Regiment: someone will no doubt send you on a fools errand for one of the following: a box of grid squares, a roll of contour line, 6 inches of Fallopian tube (usually from a female Supply Tech), a tube of elbow grease, a can of radio frequencies, left hand thread pre-torqued road wheel nuts, and the two classics, checking the tire pressure on a Leopard (or tracked vehicle road wheel) and the infamous Sky Hook. My advice: smile, go about looking for said item (for about 10 - 15 minutes), return with a frustrated look, and presto! you are now a crewman (or look like a bit of a loser...... same thing, usually  ;D). The other pointer is to bone up on Regimental history when you get the chance, as the current RSM is a big history guy (and a big guy), and likes to spring questions on the unsuspecting soldier.

Al

Hi Soon to be Ld SH ( RC :
And remember what one of the first NWMP RSMs said " Training will continue as long as the temperature is above -30 F"

David514

Dave 514 said:
Hi Soon to be Ld SH ( RC :
And remember what one of the first NWMP RSMs said " Training will continue as long as the temperature is above -30 F"

David514

The same one that became the first CO of LdSH(RC), and who the base in Edmonton is named after.

Back