• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some of the bought & paid for media

Maybe if we had to depend on foreign media for our news, people would get the real truth about what is going on in Canada ...
Depends on the media outlet in question. Most media in Europe are even MORE clearly identified with parties & political philosophies than here - you may get quite different reads on whazzup from Canada from these Brit outlets, for example ....
.... than you would from these outlets

Just like here, gotta know which team they're rootin' for :)

Last edited:
Maybe if we had to depend on foreign media for our news, people would get the real truth about what is going on in Canada. Even now, their message is often opposite our news agencies, but more accurate and unfiltered.
To piggyback on @The Bread Guy, the BBC is pretty close to the CBC.

Not Canadian specifically, but here's how one NPR station is trying to do at least a bit better ....
Short version
This spring, veteran National Public Radio editor Uri Berliner sent shock waves through the media industry with an essay titled “I’ve Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here’s How We Lost America’s Trust.” Conservatives – more than a quarter of NPR’s audience in 2011 – had stopped listening, he noted. Moreover, according to a poll, only 3 in 10 people found NPR “trustworthy.”

But NPR’s leadership rejected his critique, and he soon resigned.

Meanwhile, in a largely conservative swath of Pennsylvania, an NPR member station has been taking a more deliberate approach to addressing the trust deficit.

WITF, based in the state capital, is trying to engage with an ideologically diverse range of listeners through in-person events, on-air conversations, and a weekly newsletter that pulls back the curtain on journalistic ethics and decision-making.

The station stands out amid a growing movement nationwide, as traditional outlets grapple with both a crisis of trust in news and fewer resources to produce thoughtful, thorough coverage. Winning back trust in an increasingly polarized nation is a huge challenge. But if successful, it could help journalism become a greater force for good in local communities – and more financially sustainable.

Key to the station’s approach? Humility.
Also archived here if original link doesn't work.

Torn re: where to put this (here? gov't of the day? UKR thread?), so putting it here since it's dealing with the Canada Media Fund. This from a UKR Canadian lobby group ....
... and a bit of MSM coverage
Archived link to Globe & Mail article here in case previous link doesn't work.

Sparks flying in Venice as well over the same flick ....

TIFF's listing of the flick ....
... as well as TVO's statement (they apparently threw a few bucks into the hat, too) ...
... and a UKR lobby group's response to TVO's statement

Not Canadian, but here's a media group in Hawaii trying AI newscasters for local content ...
... and here's an example of one of the 6-ish minute newscasts
Newsreader Max Headroom, come on down!

Not Canadian, but here's a media group in Hawaii trying AI newscasters for local content ...
Pretty slick. I see a lot of newscasters losing their jobs though. My only problem is someone still needs to program it and their bias is bound to bleed through

I still enjoy reruns of Max Headroom when I can.

Any Mexican networks using AI for the weather?

I was torn about where this fits, but I think here works best.

Chris Selley: Liberals offer the worst possible reaction to CTV's doctored Poilievre clip

And having said we’ve arrived at the worst of all worlds, all this presents an obvious chance for things to get much worse indeed. The Liberal government provides robust taxpayer subsidies to the media — some more directly, as with newspaper publishers like Postmedia (which owns National Post), and some of it more indirectly to broadcasters like CTV, through program funding, licences, and market protection.

A bare minimum for supporting those subsidies is that your government shouldn’t play favourites with the media according to ideological leanings. (Or at least you should cloak such decisions in the language of not meeting “journalistic standards.”) And yet, Noorhamed in particular — who, remember, is parliamentary secretary to the minister responsible for these handouts — is always eager to criticize Postmedia for criticizing the Liberal government … because Postmedia collects government subsidy.

“Your paper wouldn’t be in business were it not for the subsidies that the government that you hate put in place — the same subsidies your Trump-adjacent foreign hedge fund owners gladly take to pay your salary,” Noormohamed chided National Post columnist Terry Newman earlier this monthnot for the first time.

Noorhamed and other Liberals often sound like they absolutely hate their own media-subsidy programs, precisely because they contribute to what they consider “bad” journalism — i.e., journalism that criticizes them, focuses on their idea of “the wrong things,” spreads their idea of “misinformation.” It’s not hard to imagine the Liberals altering the “standards” for subsidies in the future to more shamelessly suit their purposes (or it wouldn’t be hard to imagine that, if political oblivion weren’t stalking the Liberals like a leopard does a particularly succulent antelope).

It's almost as if the opponents of government subsidies of the media could have predicted these sorts of issues.

I was torn about where this fits, but I think here works best.

Chris Selley: Liberals offer the worst possible reaction to CTV's doctored Poilievre clip

It's almost as if the opponents of government subsidies of the media could have predicted these sorts of issues.
Honest question: Aside from the US, most countries still have a state broadcaster. UK has the BBC, Australia has the ABC, France has France Televisions, Germany has Deutsche Welle, etc.

So is it just Canada who has these issues with their state broadcaster? If so, why? I can’t see that Canada, out of all of those countries, has a pro-govt slant in its state broadcaster.

I searched, and CTV claims not to receive any government subsidy. Have you seen anything to the contrary?
I get the program funding and market protection, but licenses? I’m not sure how that is a taxpayer subsidy to the media - it’s something that said media has to have. I don’t know if they pay for it or not, but if they do, it’s the opposite of a subsidy.

Honest question: Aside from the US, most countries still have a state broadcaster. UK has the BBC, Australia has the ABC, France has France Televisions, Germany has Deutsche Welle, etc.

So is it just Canada who has these issues with their state broadcaster? If so, why? I can’t see that Canada, out of all of those countries, has a pro-govt slant in its state broadcaster.
A state broadcaster is one thing, many/most large media companies funded by the state, that's a different beast.

I'm not opposed to a CBC, though I think it should take more steps to ensure diversity of thought and not just appearance.

I searched, and CTV claims not to receive any government subsidy. Have you seen anything to the contrary?
The conservative bastion, the Toronto Star seems to disagree...

Rogers, Bell and Telus collected more than $240 million from Canada’s wage-subsidy program — and Bell and Telus raised shareholder payouts

CTV even reported on their parent company receiving "relief" from the government, before cutting jobs in their newsrooms...

Local news cuts at Bell come after it was granted $40M in regulatory relief: St-Onge

This was my Google search, so it's not like I had to try to find this stuff... It's almost as if some people willfully turn a blind eye.

A state broadcaster is one thing, many/most large media companies funded by the state, that's a different beast.

I'm not opposed to a CBC, though I think it should take more steps to ensure diversity of thought and not just appearance.

Rogers, Bell and Telus collected more than $240 million from Canada’s wage-subsidy program — and Bell and Telus raised shareholder payouts

CTV even reported on their parent company receiving "relief" from the government, before cutting jobs in their newsrooms...

Local news cuts at Bell come after it was granted $40M in regulatory relief: St-Onge

This was my Google search, so it's not like I had to try to find this stuff... It's almost as if some people willfully turn a blind eye.
It could be possible that Bell has govt subsidies but its owned companies (like CTV) do not. If Bell wireless gets the subsidy, it may not translate to CTV getting a cut of it.

OK, but does CTV receive any subsidy? Relief payments and wage subsidies to BCE does not necessarily mean any subsidy of CTV.

I trust you’re not tossing that ‘blind eye’ in my direction. I also searched, and have this as the company’s direct statement on it:

CTV News is committed to upholding principles of journalistic independence and is governed by a Journalistic Independence Policy ensuring independence and non-interference between BCE and CTV News while remaining in compliance with the Broadcast Act and relevant industry codes.

CTV News is funded through advertising revenue and does not receive government funding or subsidies.

OK, but does CTV receive any subsidy? Relief payments and wage subsidies to BCE does not necessarily mean any subsidy of CTV.

I trust you’re not tossing that ‘blind eye’ in my direction. I also searched, and have this as the company’s direct statement on it:

There is no way that is all semantics, and that the fortunes of BCE directly impact CTV news... Just like the PM and the Clerk of the Privy Council have never tried to influence the AG...

If a parent corp getting federal subsidies means that all of its subsidiary companies gets it too, there is probably a very small list of companies that don’t have any form of subsidy.

Especially if licenses are part of it, as per the NaPo article.

Back