• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

So, about clothing and equipment modernization…

I Should Go Reaction GIF by Bounce
Anyone have any new info on the project?

Anyone have any new info on the project?

Not new, but I'm wondering how all the RSMs are doing out there?

I hope there's a help line they can call for stress counseling, or something like that ;)

• Can I continue to use my CADPAT TW or Arid Region kit and other clothing while wearing my CADPAT (MT) uniform? For how long?
    • Yes. Until the other layers of clothing such as rain jackets and parkas are in the new CADPAT (MT) pattern are designed, prototyped, rigorously tested and manufactured, soldiers shall continue to wear currently issued CADPAT (TW) or CADPAT (AR) items mixed with their CADPAT (MT) shirts, pants and hats.

I hope there's a help line they can call for stress counseling, or something like that ;)

• Can I continue to use my CADPAT TW or Arid Region kit and other clothing while wearing my CADPAT (MT) uniform? For how long?
    • Yes. Until the other layers of clothing such as rain jackets and parkas are in the new CADPAT (MT) pattern are designed, prototyped, rigorously tested and manufactured, soldiers shall continue to wear currently issued CADPAT (TW) or CADPAT (AR) items mixed with their CADPAT (MT) shirts, pants and hats.
If you think that’s bad guys training the Ukrainians are being surprised to buy their own rain gear and getting reimbursed.

In a Cdn context there seems to be a desire to increase our ability to rapidly deploy forces into the Arctic. Airborne forces are still viewed as one of the best ways to do that.
In order to achieve that you need a certain level of mass, and specifically some key CS and CSS enablers that are best achieved by having a Bde and its units all trained together as airborne forces.
That is also key to enabling the maintenance of a constant capability on VHR. This was a key realization from a few GRTF war games that largely got ignored because it would require a rethink of the Army Structure and a rethink of the F2025 unsuccessful COAs.

Joint is a key weakness for the CAF that the CAF seems to be content with, preferring to focus on combined operations with US and NATO forces of the same composition.

I get the sense that the RCN's interest in the Arctic is just about as strong as the Army's commitment to the Mobile Strike Force. A key defence commitment that can be degraded when real soldiering and sailoring is required elsewhere.

Instead NORAD, IAMD, local GBAD, Arctic Archipelago Operations, the MSF (FMC) and Reserve operations (Sigs, Service, Meds, Transport (Land, Sea and Air)) should be the key elements that get priority funding.

Foreign Operations should come out of the same envelope as Foreign Aid and Emergency Operations. That doesn't mean that a standing expeditionary force should be an after thought. It just means that charity begins at home. Job 1 should be to secure the homeland, the national citadel.

Historically the argument was that Job 1 was impossible. Canada could not be defended.

I hold that that is no longer true. Subject to one stipulation - that we stay on friendly terms with the Yanks. Between the two of us the manpower and technology exists to defend the Continent of North America and its approaches. That is where the money needs to be spent first.

And if a 2% defence tariff is the price of admission to the club, to the US market and its benefits, then so be it.

I saw the first guy (RCAF) wearing the CADPAT MT at work. He had the green RCAF name tape and rank patch, and the blue undershirt.

It looked a bit off at first, but since the CADPAT MT looks like faded CADPAT TW from a distance, I didn’t even notice it after a while.

I saw the first guy (RCAF) wearing the CADPAT MT at work. He had the green RCAF name tape and rank patch, and the blue undershirt.

It looked a bit off at first, but since the CADPAT MT looks like faded CADPAT TW from a distance, I didn’t even notice it after a while.

Our whole air det was in it before we left. Now they are in arid cadpat. It's mind boggling.

• The goal of camouflage is to delay detection by the enemy. The selection of the new Canadian Disruptive Pattern Multi-Terrain (CADPAT (MT)) colour scheme was a data-driven process, as this pattern reduces the likelihood of detection from a greater range of technologies and in the widest range possible of operational environments. Technological advances in warfighting, namely the digitization and proliferation of surveillance and sensors, mean having soldiers less detectable to the enemy is increasingly important.
This is an interesting contrast to what we're seeing in Ukraine with soldiers taping their helmets and arms and chest rigs with bright yellow, blue, and red tape.

This is an interesting contrast to what we're seeing in Ukraine with soldiers taping their helmets and arms and chest rigs with bright yellow, blue, and red tape.

Is that because the uniforms of the warring factions are similar?

Honest question.

So we are all supposed to be wearing MT by Feb 2026. I'll have to put a reminder in my calendar. I can't wait for all the individual clothing stores to put their own take on the distribution plan. "You can't get the new uniform, your current uniform isn't faded and ripped enough."

I wonder if they are going to have to change the colour of the underwear now. I'm pretty sure it is currently green so that it doesn't stand out in combat pants that have see-through portions.

I'm not sure. They've probably had alot of friendly fire. I'd say camouflage uniforms tend to look similar when you're tired, they're dirty, weather's bad, with distance etc..
I'm sure that there are other ways to tell different armies apart.

So we are all supposed to be wearing MT by Feb 2026. I'll have to put a reminder in my calendar. I can't wait for all the individual clothing stores to put their own take on the distribution plan. "You can't get the new uniform, your current uniform isn't faded and ripped enough."

I wonder if they are going to have to change the colour of the underwear now. I'm pretty sure it is currently green so that it doesn't stand out in combat pants that have see-through portions.
Wait - you actually wear the green underwear?

So much for my SpongeBob boxers…

I'm not sure. They've probably had alot of friendly fire. I'd say camouflage uniforms tend to look similar when you're tired, they're dirty, weather's bad, with distance etc..
The Russian EMR pattern isn't substantially different from CADPAT and their vests are somewhat similar to ours. I think we would have a bit of an issue if it came down to it. I guess when you have all the different nations looking for the best camouflage pattern, you are going to run into similarities.

However, the bigger issue would probably be trying to make sure that you don't mistake any of the 20 or so different NATO patterns running around for the Russian one.

The Russian EMR pattern isn't substantially different from CADPAT and their vests are somewhat similar to ours. I think we would have a bit of an issue if it came down to it. I guess when you have all the different nations looking for the best camouflage pattern, you are going to run into similarities.

However, the bigger issue would probably be trying to make sure that you don't mistake any of the 20 or so different NATO patterns running around for the Russian one.

Item the first, Kilted. Why are you wearing underwear?

Item the second, as the Russians and Ukrainians found out, there are only two colours on the modern battlefield, just as on exercise: Safety Orange and Neon Green.

Is it more important not to be seen or not to be misidentified?

Item the first, Kilted. Why are you wearing underwear?

Item the second, as the Russians and Ukrainians found out, there are only two colours on the modern battlefield, just as on exercise: Safety Orange and Neon Green.

Is it more important not to be seen or not to be misidentified?
Only with combats. Different story for every other order of dress.

Back