• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

social life and the army

trppeter

Inactive
Reaction score
Well i have been in the reserves for almost 3 years now, its been hard at times but overall i enjoyed the experience. Lately have been thinking of joining the reg force but i have a few question about it.

1)I imagine that the reg forces is a little bit more then a 8 to 5 job, in consequence how will this effect my social life(eg. partys, having friends outside the military, girls ect.) . I know there is a time and place for everything and basic training isnt club med but afterward?

2) whats the usual rule of thumb for transfer period from reserves to regular.

thanks

trppeter said:
Well i have been in the reserves for almost 3 years now, its been hard at times but overall i enjoyed the experience. Lately have been thinking of joining the reg force but i have a few question about it.

1)I imagine that the reg forces is a little bit more then a 8 to 5 job, in consequence how will this effect my social life(eg. partys, having friends outside the military, girls ect.) . I know there is a time and place for everything and basic training isnt club med but afterward?

2) whats the usual rule of thumb for transfer period from reserves to regular.

thanks
I'll tackle the first question.

You typically do get "off" at a certain time each day when you're garrisoned. Obviously, deployments and field exercises are different, hence why it's "more than a job". You can do everything you want in a social life (responsibly, of course), but you have to remember: The Forces comes first.

trppeter said:
1)I imagine that the reg forces is a little bit more then a 8 to 5 job, in consequence how will this effect my social life(eg. partys, having friends outside the military, girls ect.)

That's really a two part question, I'll leave the 8 to 5 to the experts here, but the other half is simple, if you didn't have any of the items mentioned above due to unpleasant, savory or personality traits and thoseĀ  are continued and practiced during your Military Career, your social life will suffer just the same as it did in Civilian Life. However you will be given ample opportunity to correct those traits or habits, mainly due to the Closeness and Comradeship of the Military.

Cheers.

I know the original poster seems to be satisfied with the answers he/she got, but in case anyone else is wondering the same thing i'll explain a little more.

My experiences only can speak so far is I have only graduated basic and currently awaiting DP 1 but here goes.

My basic course had 82 people at the start, out of those 82, we had 55 walk off the parade square 13 weeks later. Out of those 55 people I talk to about 35 quite regularly and actually see and still go to bars, play sports etc with about 15. You're going to find out that the people you meet in the CF are going to become alot closer than friends you've had your whole life

With people outside of the military, my civi friends, not so much. You'll find that you can't really hang out with your old friends once you start your new career either due to your own will or just for the fact that their too far away. But the reason you joined the CF is to build a better you right?

All in all its a great ride worth taking.

Back