• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were given the chance to have our french assessed towards the end of BMOQ.  Not sure how fluent you need to be; we had ~5 people try and one person got to skip SLT.

ArmyVern and Majones - thanks for the info! I think I will definitely try and brush up over the summer.

Beech Boy - Congrats on the Pilot offer! - I'll see you in St Jean (I'm going DEO Pilot as well).

The dirty secret about SLT is that they tell you the reason you do it is that because the wait for pilot training is so long, you may as well learn french, right? Well, at least in the experience of several guys on my BMOQ, the case is that you don't get slotted for PFT until after SLT is over. DEO guys I had on BMOQ with me summer 2008 are still waiting for PFT while since then I went back for 4th year university, graduated, did 4 months OJT, then PFT, now I'm awaiting Moose Jaw. They sat in St. Jean almost the entire time I was in school for my 4th year, and got no closer to PFT.

This may not always be the case, but it is rather compelling that I got to go back to school for 8 months, get commissioned, do some OJT, then do PFT all before they even get to start flight training.

Thanks Folgers, I'll see you at Basic!

Thanks for the information Perfect_Clark... I was afraid that may be the case, unfortunately it doesn't sound like there is any way around it from my end. Again, I'm glad to hear it now though so that I can manage my expectations and not be disappointed when it happens.

I was told at my interview last week that SLT was no longer required. I believe the actual requirment is the same as the university degree, it is only required for promotion to major, this is just what I've heard from a couple sources no idea if it's true though. Anyone know if there is truth to this? Also anyone know if the flight training issues has been resolved seeing as they are taking 64 DEO pilots this year?

You will still probably be put on it and no, the training issues aren't fixed.

I have a couple questions, been searching around but haven't found information specific enough for my case.

So, I just finished my 2nd year of a Chemistry degree at a civilian university, and I'm interested in enrolling in ROTP with hopes of becoming a Pilot. First off, is it too late to enroll in ROTP? If it makes a difference, I've done the CFAT/medical/PT test already for reserves, was hoping to do reserve BMQ this summer but I'm not sure if I'll get the chance. Secondly, I'm aware that there's a lot of extra testing involved for those wanting to become pilots, where and when is this testing done, and how difficult is it to get accepted?

Thanks

Stephen9o3 said:
First off, is it too late to enroll in ROTP? If it makes a difference, I've done the CFAT/medical/PT test already for reserves, was hoping to do reserve BMQ this summer but I'm not sure if I'll get the chance.
Yes, it is too late for this year. Having done the CFAT, medical, etc., will definitely help you in how smooth your application process goes next year though.

Stephen9o3 said:
Secondly, I'm aware that there's a lot of extra testing involved for those wanting to become pilots, where and when is this testing done, and how difficult is it to get accepted?
A simple search of "Pilot selection" or Aircrew Selection" would have given you the answer...The Aircrew Selection Center is located in Trenton, and it's done whenever the CF decides they want to send you there.

How difficult is it to get accepted? Well, it's difficult.  ;) Acceptance is based on many things, and some of those things you may not even have control over. Good luck.

Stephen9o3 said:
I have a couple questions, been searching around but haven't found information specific enough for my case.

So, I just finished my 2nd year of a Chemistry degree at a civilian university, and I'm interested in enrolling in ROTP with hopes of becoming a Pilot. First off, is it too late to enroll in ROTP? If it makes a difference, I've done the CFAT/medical/PT test already for reserves, was hoping to do reserve BMQ this summer but I'm not sure if I'll get the chance. Secondly, I'm aware that there's a lot of extra testing involved for those wanting to become pilots, where and when is this testing done, and how difficult is it to get accepted?

Thanks

This is my first post here! I hope my english writing won't be too bad (first language is french)

I'm in a similar situation as you are Stephen. I applied in May for ROTP-civilian university, since I've already started a meteorology degree in Montrel (UQAM). I should be done with my CPL 2 or 3 months (which I consider to be worth almost nothing!)

I've been told by the recruiter I should have news by the end of June.

I have one little question regarding the best route I should take: RMC or civilian university? Which one is prefered most of the time? The recruiter was not to clear on that point. He said most of the time it was better to choose RMC, but on the other hand, since I already had accumulated a couple of credits toward my civilian degree, it might be better to try to stay there.

If my application is rejected at some point, I plan on joining the reserve (infantry or artillery) and get my officer training. During that time, I would finish my degree and reapply for ROTP or DEO, depending upon the time I can apply again. Does that seem a good plan?

Thanks you all
Olivier

trampbike said:
I should be done with my CPL 2 or 3 months (which I consider to be worth almost nothing!)

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University grants PLAR credits for flight licenses. If I remember correctly, it is around 36 credit hours for a CPL Multi-IFR. I could never get a straight answer out of them. Because the license is Canadian, they said I needed to send the documentation to them for review. They said the US CPL Multi-IFR received PLAR for all of the elective courses for the Associate's degree in Pro Aero. Now that I've been accepted ROTP for Pilot, I have put my CPL on hold, as well as my Embry-Riddle degree. I was granted about 60% of my ER courses as transfer credit to the Canadian school I will be attending in September though.

You didn't mention at what stage of the application process you were at, so I'm assuming that since you applied in May you haven't done Aircrew Selection yet. You never want to plan to fail, but you might want to reconsider completing your CPL prior to the Aircrew selection. If you do fail, you will need to get the next level license prior to redoing the Aircrew Selection. I don't know what they do if you have a CPL and fail, ATPL maybe???

Finally received my CT offer today! PRes MARS - Reg Pilot
Posted to 442 Transport and Rescue Squadron in Comox starting July 29.

It has been 3 years since I started the process, so I am having some difficulty believing it actually happened, just like that.
Getting in was hard, especially the waiting. But it was good practice for what is to come!

Now I must mentally prepare myself for the long and hard road to Wings and beyond.

I wish luck to all the pilot hopefuls out there, be patient and stay focused on your dream - it will happen!
I got my chance and I will darn well make the best of it!

Congratulations VodkaBoy!  Good luck in the future and let us know how you make out  :nod:

3 years!! Outstanding! Congratulations all the best.

Congrats VodkaBoy,

I have first hand knowledge of what the wait you've been through is like and how it feels to finally get the call! Its great to see another example of persistence paying off. I'll echo your sentiment to other pilot hopefuls, if you want it bad enough stick with it and never give up!

Cheers,

Beech.

I was just wondering if during all the wait times before and between flight training would you be able to do some continuing studies towards a masters degree. I understand that OJT is part of the training but say once you have done a year of it is it possible to go work towards a masters degree while waiting for flight training?

DesertFox, one of my good friends did exactly that 5 years ago, had to show up once a week at the Sqn, paid full salary and attended university full time. He began flight training pretty much straight after his graduation, on top of that.

DesertFox, one of my good friends did exactly that 5 years ago, had to show up once a week at the Sqn, paid full salary and attended university full time. He began flight training pretty much straight after his graduation, on top of that.

It depends on the unit but it is quite rare. A colleague of mine manage to go for his masters but most of the people I know are not even being allow to work towards their degree during working hours.

Hi folks.  I'm new to the forum.  Forgive me if this question has been answered previously; I did look over the last dozen or so pages of the thread and didn't see it addressed.  At this point I'm trying to acquire information on the CEOTP program.  A bit of my background;  I've been flying commercially for several years, mostly bush and float work.  I have about 3500 hrs and am also MEIFR rated.  I have a smattering off college/uni courses that hopefully would knock off at least a years worth of the acquisition of a degree through distance ed.  My specific question has to do with the (dreaded?!) OJT I've been reading about.  Is it possible to be accepted into pilot training but delay the actual entry into the CF until the actual flight training or second language training is set to start.  I ask because I'd much prefer to keep working(flying) at my civilian job.  The thought of giving up flying to wait to begin flying seems somewhat contradictory.  From what I've read it seems that most entrants into the CEOTP tend to have low total flying experience and aren't actively working as pilots, although I'm sure there are exceptions.  Any feedback is appreciated. 

In order to attend Basic training - you need to be in the employ of Her Majesty.  In order to hold a spot on the waiting list for training - you need to be in the employ of Her Majesty.

Unfortunately, there is no "easy button" for pilot training.

Civilian Convert,
Lastest from the rumour mill is that OJT times will be dropping back from 2-4 years to acceptable levels. It sounds like some of the problems have been somewhat sorted out. This is only the latest rumour so take it with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back