• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So what exactly is EWOT?

ChaosTheory

Inactive
Reaction score
I was told that after university and until I go to training I would be put on EWOT.  I know it is just employment until I go to training.  Now what kinds of stuff would I be doing?  I have yet to go to IAP and I do not even have any of my regs.  Also, am I able to use some of my leave while on EWOT?  Thank You.

EWAT (Employment while Awaiting Training), is exactly what you described it.  Seeing as to how you have no skill yet, it will most likely spent in an office pushing paper. 

As an officer cadet, you will notice that you do not have much say in when and where your leave will be taken.  If you are given EWAT, IMHO, it would be safe to say that you will not be given any leave during that period.

Read around these boards, especially recruiting etc...

I've heard of pilots that have completed masters degrees as their employment while waiting to complete training for their wings.  More typically, I've seen OCdt & 2 Lt tasked as course officers (driver courses for a PAT Pl or summer courses for reserves), I've seen them shadow trained officers at regiments, and I've seen them employed as SLJOs at units & schools.

EWAT is a good time for you to get your OPME courses out of the way...........saves you from doing them at a time where your career is too busy.

EWAT basically makes you a lackie for someone on some base or wing. I was lucky enough to get posted to a RTF so I actually completed some quals like the C7 and CBRN before IAP. It was a good heads up. As for leave while on EWAT I never tried, and I was not going to try either. I wasn't on EWAT very long (30 days) so it didn't seem right.

I will be on EWOT for about two months after university is over for the year (at the end of April) till IAP which starts at the end of June.  Where are they likely to send me?  Anywhere in the country or close to where I am located?  Would I live on a base for those two months or what since I will be living at university tell the end of the year?

Also, since I do not have any of my regs, would I be given them when I do EWOT?  Or would I be working in Civilian clothing? Thank you.

They usually put you in EWAT on the base closest to your university. 

It has been my experience that accomodations are up to you.

Furthur, it has been my experience once again that you will not get issued any kit (combats etc...) until IAP.  However, I have had one good friend that got issued some kit (combats) for his EWAT (he was in the reserves before).

The way I see it, when you put on that uniform, you are bound to many laws and regulations you would not be bound to previously.  You are representing the Queen, and you are representing the Canadian Forces in its fullest.  People will look at you, and will make their first impression on the Canadian Forces based on your dress and deportment.  It is in my opinion, that since you will not be trained in proper dress and deportment, nor will you be "cap badged", they will not issue you your uniform until IAP.

Just my opinion.

Good Luck!

MCG said:
I've heard of pilots that have completed masters degrees as their employment while waiting to complete training for their wings.  More typically, I've seen OCdt & 2 Lt tasked as course officers (driver courses for a PAT Pl or summer courses for reserves), I've seen them shadow trained officers at regiments, and I've seen them employed as SLJOs at units & schools.

MCG, don't forget that the OCdt. is unskilled.  He has not completed IAP yet or have a uniform for that matter.  I cannot see him being a course officer etc... 

These are rare exceptions.  Shadowing trained officers, etc... is more along the lines that a untrained OCdt. would do for EWAT.

Ahh, EWAT. The time you can waste or make use of. "Will I use the time or will the time use me?"
Quag said:
MCG, don't forget that the OCdt. is unskilled.  He has not completed IAP yet or have a uniform for that matter.  I cannot see him being a course officer etc...
Well, when I was teaching at the recruit school (Gagetown, not St Jean) the company 2 I/C was an OCdt.

OK, when on EWAT you can waste it or use it. Depending on your trg schedule this advice may be a bit too late but if you know you will be on EWAT in, say 3 months, then put in your application to do an OPME. Ask to sit in on some classes with an ongoing course. Talk to your Sqn 2 I/c about a study package for your next crse.
Just do something, don't waste the time bitching.

Tim

Quag said:
The way I see it, when you put on that uniform, you are bound to many laws and regulations you would not be bound to previously.  You are representing the Queen, and you are representing the Canadian Forces in its fullest.  People will look at you, and will make their first impression on the Canadian Forces based on your dress and deportment.  It is in my opinion, that since you will not be trained in proper dress and deportment, nor will you be "cap badged", they will not issue you your uniform until IAP.

Your comments on dress and deportment are fair, but he's been bound by the relevant military laws and regulations since he signed on the dotted line -- the uniform is irrelevant in that respect.

Yes I realize that.  However, when he signs the dotted line, he is not, nor is he expected, to know the responsibilities of the uniform....yet.  IAP teaches all of that.

EWOT....EWAT...

Werent those the guys in that star wars movie...?  ;D

ewok.jpg

There's one now!

Back