• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So close, but so far

Well, 7 weeks in and it looks like I am going to release.  I can't afford the time off from my civie job to do the training, and I don't think I have the energy for weekend training.  If you can't train, you can't do the job.

I really should have done this 20 years ago.  The Honorary had a good laugh at my expense at the group mess dinner.  I guess there are a few my age that get it in their heads to join up.  One thing you can't say about me is that I am afraid to try new things. 

oldpond said:
Well, 7 weeks in and it looks like I am going to release.  I can't afford the time off from my civie job to do the training, and I don't think I have the energy for weekend training.  If you can't train, you can't do the job.

I really should have done this 20 years ago.  The Honorary had a good laugh at my expense at the group mess dinner.  I guess there are a few my age that get it in their heads to join up.  One thing you can't say about me is that I am afraid to try new things. 

:( thats sad to hear. Are you positive you can not change anything to better the position?

And yes, you even trying it is more then most do.

oldpond said:

Aww that sucks man.  :'(
You jumped so many hurdles to get in. If you are still in I say keep at it. Tough situations tend to get easier or work themselves out.

Sorry to hear about that, but if you're able to speak to your civilian employer, keep going for it.  You could work something out with your employer to ensure you go back to your normal hours with your civi job.  If this is something you worked so hard for, it's something worth continuing.

Well, I had a long talk with my Adjt tonight, and I'm going to stick with it for awhile.  I owe it to myself to at least try the training since it's only on weekends to start, and we'll see how it goes after that.  He said it wouldn't be right if they didn't try everything in their power to be flexible while I settle into my new civie job.  So, I'll have a chat with my boss and the folks at HR tomorrow, and see how it goes.  :cdn:

oldpond said:
Well, I had a long talk with my Adjt tonight, and I'm going to stick with it for awhile.  I owe it to myself to at least try the training since it's only on weekends to start, and we'll see how it goes after that.  He said it wouldn't be right if they didn't try everything in their power to be flexible while I settle into my new civie job.  So, I'll have a chat with my boss and the folks at HR tomorrow, and see how it goes.   :cdn:

You will not regret it, It is better to go with it to the end rather then give up with uncertainty. Kudos!

Well, my boss and my company are definately not supportive.  He's been jacking me up every week now since I informed them I was staying in.  That's fine; it's their loss  I am negotiating with a contractor for a position that will allow me some flexibility to finish my training.  BMQ starts Jan 23rd.  :salute:

Good for you.  It's too bad your employer wasn't more supportive.  I hope that everything goes well for you in the future - good luck on BMQ.

oldpond said:
Glad my story could help.  If you believe in what you are doing and you really want it, then you won't give up in the face of a little red tape.   :)  Let your respirologist know exactly why you are getting testing, AND that you need a copy of his/her assessment for the recruiting office.  I delivered all my documentation in person to the recruiting office just to make sure things got in the right pile.  The folks at the recruiting office were absolutely outstanding throughout the entire process, but it never hurts to touch base with them each week for an update when you are waiting.

I have to admit, I have never been more focused on anything in my entire life as I am on this goal, and the challenges I have faced over the last year will only make it sweeter when my enrolement finally happens.

Don't give up.

Well, I can finally provide a follow up to this thread, and my recruitment process.  I am pleased to announce that I got a letter in the mail today informing me the RMO ahd reconsidered their assessment of my asthma.  Based on my test results, a self-assessment and assessment and letter from my GP clearing me, the RMO reversed their decision, and that no medical limitations on duty are required, and I now meet the common enrolment medical standard.

It is very exciting as once again the ball is moving.  From my understanding, once the file is sent back to the Toronto recruiting center it will be merit listed, at which point I will play the waiting game once again until the next NOAB and Baisc Officer Training.  All in all, a very exciting day.

oldpond said:
Well, my boss and my company are definately not supportive.  He's been jacking me up every week now since I informed them I was staying in.  That's fine; it's their loss  I am negotiating with a contractor for a position that will allow me some flexibility to finish my training.  BMQ starts Jan 23rd.  :salute:

First post here.  I had a similar experience applying as an Armoured Officer (Res).  It took me about a year and a half for my application to wander its way through the process, including a lost interview report, numerous medical doublechecks, and a file-losing.  In May of 2008 I was finally accepted and scheduled for weekend BMQ in the fall, but when the time came I wasn't allowed to take the beep test because I outsmarted myself by drinking a powerdrink just before the test (the email from the Sargeant forgot to mention the blood pressure test).  Anyway, my blood pressure caused great alarm, and almost had them calling an ambulance to make sure I wasn't going to spring a leak and spray blood all over the place.  Needless to say, the beep test didn't happen that day.

In spite of all this, and possibly because candidates were dropping like flies even before BMQ got rolling, I was allowed to start BMQ anyway, and take the beep test at the army's earliest convenience, on the proviso that a doctor cleared me to take it. 

The army's earliest convenience didn't come until February of this year, 2 days before BMQ graduation.  I had moments to grab my gym gear and race out the door to take a test to qualify to take the course I had just passed.  Someone told me that's the army way, and I'm sure there's a good reason for it, although I haven't figured that one out yet.  I cleverly didn't drink a powerdrink before the test this time, and in spite of that I managed to get something called "incentive" level.  I'm not sure what that means, but the tester smiled when she said it, so I assume it's good, and in any event I graduated from BMQ.  I'm scheduled for BOTP and CAP1-5 this summer.

BTW, I turned 50 on the weekend we went into the gas huts.  What a way to celebrate a half-century...running relays in a bunny suit in -30 degree weather preparatory to getting gassed.  For anyone reading this who thinks you're too old to join...naw, you're not.  That's just an excuse. 

Back