• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sniper Detection

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2006/july/SnipersCannotHide.htm

This is great technology that will make life a bit unhealthy for enemy snipers.

Neat -- I wonder how it works in the "field" with swirling poo dust etc.

Infidel-6 said:
Neat -- I wonder how it works in the "field" with swirling poo dust etc.
indeed. And considering that most of our enemies are not actually snipers, but rather riflemen armed with iron-sighted Kalashnikov's, its' use in A-stan, and Iraq are fairly limited.

Still, that's pretty cool!

........and let's not forget that, in most cases, it's only a matter of time before the bad guys get their hands on the same technology.

Over relying on such a thing could contribute to collateral damage, no?

No biggie, just create something to deflect/interfere with the beam, say a device that acts as a shroud over/in front of the lens, etc. Something with one way capability in order for the operator to continue using his lens. Some creative soul will run down to Canadian Tire and jury rig something for $1.25 using duct tape, rubber and a bit of a veil. Who knows, not to mention, any volunteers to be the guy standing on the roof using this device since the "beam" will be "visible" to many fun loving snipers/helicopters/missiles for miles eh  ;D

Or you could just plant scopes to your left and right so they concentrate on those wilst you have a pretty shot. 

Well, the problem with that can be, what scopes are the enemy going to shoot at first?  Could be the one you are looking through...
And if the opposition were to shoot at the scope to the right, or left...unless they are going for a clean, sharpshooter-esque kill or they are a sniper themselves, they could very well hit you anyway.

Cabose said:
Or you could just plant scopes to your left and right so they concentrate on those wilst you have a pretty shot. 

Not gonna help if they go for arty  :P

What if the sniper is using a killflash?  I think its great especially for catching the IED bitches.

paracowboy said:
indeed. And considering that most of our enemies are not actually snipers, but rather riflemen armed with iron-sighted Kalashnikov's, its' use in A-stan, and Iraq are fairly limited.

Still, that's pretty cool!

From what I've heard, snipers are a big concern in some parts of Iraq.

At the time of Para's post it was quite relevant, the sniper threat was not common.

However yes your right - sniping here has gone on to become an issue here.

Back