• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

small cars with good gas mileage

I have A P.T Cruiser turbo. Excellent on gas as long has you are not playing with the turbo, set the cruise at 100kmh, toronto to Montreal no problem. And you still got the balls to pass or get out of a bad situation. I love this car, It has 230 hp, 245lbs torque. this is what you need.

someguyincanada said:
site has a few good things and plus you can access it from work :)

Yup...that's my TDI home away from home...  ;D

Here's my experience with a 2001 Kia Sportage, you can take it for what it's worth.

Purchased Vehicle new in Jan 2001, it has 58 000km on it now. In that time we have had to:
Replace the Engine as the Piston Rod went through the cylinder Head -25 000km
Brakes Replaced - 30 000km
Brakes Replaced - 40 000km
Drive Shaft Cracked off, went through passenger side floor, cut brake line and fuel line - 58 000km
Also "minor" stuff:
Power Lock doesn't work in rear passenger door,
Cup Holders have broken off 4 times,
Door lock & Alarm on Drivers side looks like it may fall out soon,
Globe Headlamps fell off and are rolling around inside Glass of Headlights,
Casing keeps falling off back hatch, needs to be snapped on again and again.

Other than that, fine.

one of the guys in my unit his check engine light would not go out, the dealer said it was normal for the check engine light to come on every so often

camochick said:
The smart car seems to be gaining popularity. One of my clients told me that his wife has one and it costs her 11 dollars a week in gas. I stil don't think I could bring myself to drive one though hehe >:D

There are Smart cars all over Europe and now, all over Vancouver.  I love them and want to get one for myself!  With the horrible parking here in Van....nothing beats a Smart car.  ;D

Look into vehicles using CVT transmissions, they are really smooth to drive, and get fuel economy that is amazing.  I used to sell Nissan's, and the Murano with a 3.5L V6 was getting better mileage than the 4 cyl Altima.  The new civic hybrid uses a cvt.

I drove a '91 Golf (with a '93 Jetta diesel engine) from Cape Breton to Panama in 2003. Only cost $300 CDN in fuel to get there.  ;D  And its more expensive in Mexico and Central America.

I've said it before in another post......but if the gas prices continue to rise we may be forced to drive Velomobiles.

aerorider2.jpg

It may be a bit tough in the winter though!

beach_bum said:
There are Smart cars all over Europe and now, all over Vancouver.   I love them and want to get one for myself!   With the horrible parking here in Van....nothing beats a Smart car.    ;D

Just think of it as a side-by-side motorcycle!  ;D

Best way to get good gas mileage with any vehicle is to keep up with the oil changes and regular maintenance of your vehicle. Don't be stupid behind the wheel by peeling out everytime you get a green and use your cruise control when on the highway.

I spend $65 every two weeks to fill up my 98 Windstar(3.8L V6) and at the end of the two weeks I have about a quarter of a tank left.
For a small car, I would say any vehicle with a 4 cylinder would do fine.

The most economical vehicle will be the one that is PAID FOR.

I drive a truck with a 6.6L V8 - and it is still cheaper than a new truck, because while I may pay 300$ a month for gas, I do not have to pay a 400-600$ car payment, or the full coverage insurance that leasing or financing requires.

Observe

Veh 1
120$/month - gas
450$/month - payment
150$/month - full coverage ins (more in many provinces or if you are single, >25yrs old etc.
100$/month - dealer maintenance (required to keep warranty in effect)

Total 900$ month - and that does'nt include new rubber, rims or high rate insurance etc.

Veh 2
300$/month - gas
75 $/month - PLPD insurance (cuz its old)
100$/month - socked away in the mattress for when it breaks down

Total 475$ month - and if you have the means, save the difference and buy a new car cash when you've saved enough!

Gas will almost always be the lowest cost associated with a vehicle, unless you commute great distances.

True GO, both our vehicles are fully paid for also. I had never thought about it that way...thanks

Someguyincanada:

Have you checked "The Lemon Aid Guide for Used Cars" - Phil Edmonson? Do a Google and check his website.
You could also try the Ministry of Transportation website. They publish an annual booklet on all vehicles and fuel economy. Free at Gov't bookstore/info places or most Ministry offices anywhere in Ontario.
If you go with the wabbit, hope it's not a lemon.

Hilda :)

yep, and there was a few things but nothing I cant handle, theres a little rust on it but nothing too severe...
Im taking a mechanic to check to make sure that it is road worthy this weekend. pretty soon I will be putting a 91 buick up for sale, nothing much wrong with it, only three things dont work as advertised A/C, power attenna and power steering pump needs replacing

I drive an '84 Rabbit.....well, it is fun with the rag top and all, I get about 350kms/tank....don't know how big the tank is though?!?!? Right now it costs me about $25-30 to fill it once a week I drive at least 60kms per day back and forth to work. Hubby Has a '99 Jeep 33" tires and a 7" lift....at least a fill every 3 days at at least $70/tank. The Jeep is way better for pickin' up, somehow guys like "chicks in jeeps" haha...but I'm nervous about the Rabbit in the winter with the soft top and all.  I don't have to cars and have to drive around like someone I used to laugh at...(serves me right eh?)  :-\

CallOfDuty said:
Hey Rose............how do you find the quality of the Kia?

Hey CallOfDuty,
we've only had the Kia for a few months, but so far it's great.  For it's class it had the best warantee, and lots of safety features.  To be honest, when we were test driving cars I didn't want to want a Kia, lol.  I'd heard so many bad things about them, in North America they are pretty new, but they have been an extremely popular car overseas for years.
Anyways, it seems to be a good little car. 

Either get a motorcycle (C'mon)
If not my reccomendation is some kind of diesel car, a smart car (really); my personal reccomendation is going to be the Pontiac Wave, it's a zippy little thing that's pretty good on gas.
Make sure you get a standard whatever you do and as GO said, pay for it, don't lease it.

Back