• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF

Ok, thanks for that, I'm not that familiar with the military law system, but regardless (trying to stay in my lane here) he was not found guilty of sexual assault if the charge was stayed, if I understand it correctly?

slayer/raptor said:
Ok, thanks for that, I'm not that familiar with the military law system, but regardless (trying to stay in my lane here) he was not found guilty of sexual assault if the charge was stayed, if I understand it correctly?

No. A stayed charged simply means that the Court decided (for whatever reason) not to proceed with the charge. It still exists.

A stayed charge gives no opinion on guilt or innocence.

(Hopefully I have remembered my presiding officer training correctly...)

...can you or anyone else pls detail how one goes about getting people registered on this crse i.e. links, site, process, etc

Cheers

ArmyVern said:
All reports back to me from our pers who underwent this trg are nothing but good.  A good sign is that we also had lots of volunteers to take the training.

SeaKingTacco said:
No. A stayed charged simply means that the Court decided (for whatever reason) not to proceed with the charge. It still exists.

A stayed charge gives no opinion on guilt or innocence.

(Hopefully I have remembered my presiding officer training correctly...)

From the military justice manual:

While a stay of proceedings is not a finding, per se, it has the effect of halting or
suspending the trial proceedings for an indefinite period. Therefore, although there are certain
circumstances where another finding can be substituted for a stay of proceedings,150 for most
practical purposes, a stay of proceedings has the same effect as a finding of not guilty for the
charge on which the stay has been directed.151 At the summary trial a stay of proceedings is used
when alternative charges have been laid. When the presiding officer finds the accused guilty of
one of the alternative charges, the presiding officer will pronounce a finding of guilt for that
charge, and direct that the proceedings be stayed on all the alternative charges.

beachdown said:
...can you or anyone else pls detail how one goes about getting people registered on this crse i.e. links, site, process, etc
If you are in the Army (the command, not the uniform) then this training will find you.  It is not a course.  It is like the RoE brief for Op HONOUR.

MCG said:
If you are in the Army (the command, not the uniform) then this training will find you.  It is not a course.  It is like the RoE brief for Op HONOUR.

It's supposed to be recorded on your MPRR as well.  Or so we were told when we did ours and we are tracking our pers.  Basically command teams are getting this then giving the brief to sub unit command teams and they are giving it down until every soldier has been given it.  Takes about two hours.

And I concur with the sentiment that it is worth it.

MCG said:

This has been out since at least june, and the first I hear of it is on this means? I will have to chase this down when I go into the unit tonight. I hope it's not just for the Army, as the rest of us would benefit as well.

ModlrMike said:
This has been out since at least june, and the first I hear of it is on this means?
If it's any consolation, I first heard about it when the CO told me to add it to the training calendar.... the date he chose was during Christmas leave.  I explained that he would likely be very, very lonely.  ;)

I found the directive for it

ModlrMike said:
This has been out since at least june, and the first I hear of it is on this means? I will have to chase this down when I go into the unit tonight. I hope it's not just for the Army, as the rest of us would benefit as well.

Attachments

• OPERATION HONOUR BYSTANDER INTERVENTION TRAINING DIRECTIVE.pdf
    315.8 KB · Views: 92
That confirms that it may be an Army initiative. Probably why we sailors have not heard of it.

....IMHO having just digested the contents of the original documents, everyone in the CAF should receive this training and acknowledge understanding everything talked about. The CDS's message is clear and if some nincompoops still refuse to comprehend the main concerns here, then the long arm of the law should come down heavy

While the directive to have all pers in the Army trained is an Army initiative, the briefing material is available to all CAF personnel through the website of CSRT-SM.

(Edit to fix name of website)

dapaterson said:
While the directive to have all pers in the Army trained is an Army initiative, the briefing material is available to all CAF personnel through the website of DG-SMRT.

Why does that acronym immediately make me think this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

ModlrMike said:
Why does that acronym immediately make me think this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

I was thinking the exact thing when I saw that and immediately thought Dataperson made it up.  lol.

Meanwhile....across the pond, not a sexual assault but verbal assault / harassment.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/01/top-female-cop-who-slammed-colleague-over-boob-job-wont-be-fired

Side note: Dr Kellie Leitch has an answer to defending one's self against potential sexual assault on women and it's a goodie

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/12/01/women-should-be-allowed-to-pepper-spray-and-mace-attackers-leitch-says.html

beachdown said:

Did the training this week. I have to agree that I found this by far the most useful OP HONOUR related training that we have received thus far. So much so that I offered to do a few more sessions of it in order to assist the officer delivering the training.

If I am not mistaken, I believe the intent is to make this compulsory training for every CAF member and DND civilian. Which means that the training ought to be coming to you shortly.

Apparently, after media reports that too many sexual misconduct charges were seeing convictions of lesser offences, the CDS has stated such pets will be kicked out administratively.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ctvnews/status/804885773342441472

https://mobile.twitter.com/ctvnews/status/804885723539238912

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/military-advances-fight-against-sexual-misconduct-1.3187952

Military advances fight against sexual misconduct

Days after victims of military sexual assault raised concerns about lenient sentences, CTV News has learned of a new directive from Canada’s top soldier to remove from their jobs anyone who has committed sexual misconduct.

Gen. Johnathan Vance told CTV’s Mercedes Stephenson that he will now discharge anyone found to have sexually harassed or harmed another member of the military, even if he or she has struck a plea deal in a military court.

Women and men who spoke to CTV News earlier this week said their sexual assault cases had not resulted in harsh enough punishments. In one case, an man who sexually assaulted a woman of lower rank was punished by losing a rank and a $2,500 fine.

After Statistics Canada reported Monday that the prevalence of sexual assault is far higher in the military than the general population, Vance said, “as far as I’m concerned, I’m happy if they leave our ranks permanently.”

As part of the ongoing sexual misconduct crackdown known as “Operation Honour,” 29 members of the military have already been forced out due to sexual misconduct, while three remain but are receiving counselling and probation, and three remain due to lack of evidence.

Earlier this week, two more soldiers faced court martials on sexual assault charges but pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of disgraceful conduct and had their sexual assault charges stayed.

CTV News has learned that both perpetrators will be now be served with “intent to release,” meaning they will be kicked out of the military.

Victims say the news of the new directive has left them with a sense of relief and that other victims are now more likely to come forward.

Defence sources say it addresses some of the frustration inside the military that military courts were not handing down harsh enough punishments to deter bad behaviour.

Back