• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

*Server Is Under High Stress*

Mike Bobbitt said:
Well, looks like we had a problem last night. The server load went through the roof and things slowed to a crawl (at best). I'm investigating now...
Yes, it took me from about 0645 until now (trying intermittently) to get on the site.  I even tried on our internet computer and no dice.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Well, looks like we had a problem last night. The server load went through the roof and things slowed to a crawl (at best). I'm investigating now...

All the server customers doing their nightly backup at the same time?    :)

Mike Bobbitt said:

Was that due to an increase in viewers or a ghost in the system?

It wasn't external (other site backups) or a heavy user load... it was something internal to the system going haywire. Probably a misconfigured setting for the web server or database... either way it got stuck in a state it couldn't automatically recover from. "Next time" (and there is always a next time) the system should detect this problem early on and head it off within a few minutes. The site will be down for that period while it fixes the problem, but at least it won't be a runaway gun for hours on end.

In the mean time I'll try to figure out what's going on.

I didn't expect the server move would solve every problem, but at least we're fast when we're up. ;)

Mike...the lettering of black on green in army.ca isn't working....I'm typing blind, cause I can't see a thing  ;D

But it sure would be nice to have black lettering inside quote boxes.

I like a green/red/black colour scheme but I agree with GAP - contrast is needed for the text.

I agree.  It is, however, an improvement to the quotes. 

Other parts of the site seem to be a little wonky.

The black is temporary... It's like whack-a-mole... I touch one thing, and something else pops up needing my attention. :)

Black is gone, and hopefully the quote boxes are easier to read too...

More problems last night... a different flavour, but it seems it caused the server to be unavailable for a few hours. I'll work on figuring out what happened and see if I can avoid the same thing next time.

Sorry folks, there are a few bumps on this road I guess...

Ahhh well, if you didn't have bad days, how would you know when you are having a good day?  :)

E.R. Campbell said:
It is also a major financial commitment on Mike Bobbitt's part; he is, essentially, providing a service to all of us at his own expense. We subscribers help, but not I am certain that is not enough to cover all the ongoing operating costs. That's because we are too few.

Just to echo what Mr. Campbell said. If you use the site, please consider supporting it.

A painful learning process I'm afraid... Every night we get a runaway gun and the script that tries to get that under control doesn't always work... the result is the site sometimes dies and stays dead until I fix it.

I've adjusted the cooldown script and hopefully this is the last time we'll see this particular problem.

The runaway gun is still the core issue... Looks like we simply run out of resources at times.

Mike, not sure if it's the server or just being on the DWAN, but the last couple of days it takes me a few tries to get the site up in the morning.  Usually get an error message first, then the server busy one and then finally on.

Perhaps it needs coffee like the rest of us?? 
3.gif

Mmm, interesting... we should be up and fast (except when we're not ;)). Anyone else seeing this?

I find between 11 AM and 3 AM EST, I'm unable to get on the site.  It just keeps loading and eventually tells me there's an error.

Maybe this was touched on earlier, but I thought I should mention it.

Although, I know the site loads A LOT faster during the day then it ever did since I've signed up.  So touche for that!

From down here, right now its the return of the dark times, things half loading, timing out, and or idling, plus the past two nights (your time), no site at all.

Cheers,

Wes

Back