• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Separation pay/benefits

http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/pdf/Aide_Memoire08_e.pdf

Chapter 2 section 3 - now called TR.

captloadie's comment is dead on. Pay clerks will normally advise you to never include allowances when planning a budget. In many discussions on this site, there are many examples of members who become accustomed to those allowances, get posted or their circumstances change and *bang*, now they are sans allowances and still have bills to pay. Generally speaking, there is less stress for you and your family if you can fit your bills into your pay alone.

Perhaps our compulsive topic starters, should research a bit more.  We have a great topic called "Entering the CF and YOUR Money.... "

CountDC said:
??? Pay Clerk?? What's that?  ;)

A rare breed of dinosaur. A few still haunt the flats.  ;)

Anyone's Grunt said:
Reviving a necro thread.....

Second question.  Can a single parent who's child does not reside with them claim separation pay?  Say a mother has a child who lives with their grandmother, is she entitled to separation pay for being separated from a child that does not reside with them in the first place?  Is this member entitled to any sort of special allowances, such as TD or relief from paying rations and quarters?

If the military didn't cause the separation, then why should the military compensate you for the separation?

Reviving a dead thread here again folks, but here is the situation.

I am a NCdt that is about to graduate from RMC in May, and will likely be posted to Esquimalt (I have to complete MARS Ph III and Ph IV there). I live in town and therefore am being moved on a restricted posting with my F&E. 
My fiance is a Slt in Halifax. We are planning on getting married in late April. We have never been posted together, apart from when we met in Esquimalt a few years ago, which does not help our situation at all.

The college orderly room is telling me that being married will not change anything for me, including my posting (restricted/prohibited etc), recieving separation pay, and any other allowances for service couples.
On the coast, my fiance is being told that we will recieve all the allowances including full separation pay.

Needless to say we are a little confused on this one, and could use any help (or refs to read!) to sort this out.

Cheers

RocqueOn said:
Reviving a dead thread here again folks, but here is the situation.

I am a NCdt that is about to graduate from RMC in May, and will likely be posted to Esquimalt (I have to complete MARS Ph III and Ph IV there). I live in town and therefore am being moved on a restricted posting with my F&E. 
My fiance is a Slt in Halifax. We are planning on getting married in late April. We have never been posted together, apart from when we met in Esquimalt a few years ago, which does not help our situation at all.

The college orderly room is telling me that being married will not change anything for me, including my posting (restricted/prohibited etc), recieving separation pay, and any other allowances for service couples.
On the coast, my fiance is being told that we will recieve all the allowances including full separation pay.

Needless to say we are a little confused on this one, and could use any help (or refs to read!) to sort this out.

Cheers

If you are married or Common-law before your COS date in Esquimault, then you are entitled to SE etc.

If that happens after your COS date, then no.

What about if you were getting TD but now get nothing and are attach posted to Edm?  ;D

Lone Wolf AT said:
What about if you were getting TD but now get nothing and are attach posted to Edm?  ;D

You get diddly squat ... just like me ... but you knew that already.

How about that tie-line in the shacks and the common room with a TV because, remember, that is not in these shacks because you (used to) get allowances to pay for that stuff and phoning back home to your family once a week?? Ooooops - none of that either even though you are already paying for it at home ...

I can not wait until we are out of here!!

:blotto:

I started my regular force time and got posted away from my wife in Petawawa starting Feb. While on PAT there around may we couldn't keep the apartment due to cost so we moved her closer to family about 2 hours away. Fredericton to Moncton.  After getting some bad info I thought this would be okay.  Its now November and she still lives there. And clerks are telling me I am not eligible for SE because I moved her to Moncton.

Is there a way to make it so I am eligible for SE while she is in Moncton while I do my course and get posted.

If not are they going to take SE benefit value from me as of May? If yes is there a way to prevent it?

First thing I'd be asking for the is the ref to the CBIs or regulation that states this.  Not saying its true or false, but is the best way to get rid of doubt. 

This FAQ refers to a move for employment, but I would imagine the ruling is the same:

My dependants have relocated (at my expense) to a location outside the geographical location of my former place of duty, for reasons of employment. When does my entitlement to separation expense cease?

The entitlement to separation expense ceases effective the earlier of:

- a dependant no longer resides full-time in the principal residence at the former place of duty;
    - the HG&E no longer remains in the principal residence at the former place of duty; or
    - you no longer have costs associated with maintaining a principal residence at the former place of duty.

Refs: CBI 208.997(5) and QR & O 26.02

From: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/db-as/faq/se-faf-eng.asp

So, if your spouse, HG & E move before you get posted, at your cost, you don't qual for SE anymore?  Anyone care to explain the logic in this??  If you still maintain a residence, and are still seperated...whats the diff??

I have seen it happen before and because you moved her you are out of luck, you are going to lose all your SE.
hope you are going to find a way around it
sorry

Eye In The Sky said:
So, if your spouse, HG & E move before you get posted, at your cost, you don't qual for SE anymore?  Anyone care to explain the logic in this??  If you still maintain a residence, and are still seperated...whats the diff??

The difference is, it may impact on future relocation entitlements and or allowances/benefits.  If you relocated at your own expense and your benefits continue, then in effect DND/CF continue to be responsible for your DHG&E at the "new" location.  Which means that when and if you do relocate at "public expense" all costs are based on the new location, LTA would be claimable to the new location, etc.  Everything benefit wise in cases such as this are based on the concept of "former place of duty".

The reasoning for it is so that you can't move your family to your place of duty and still claim SE.  But like many things in the Military, once the rule is written the spirit of it is tossed and only the letter remains.

Tcm621 said:
The reasoning for it is so that you can't move your family to your place of duty and still claim SE.  But like many things in the Military, once the rule is written the spirit of it is tossed and only the letter remains.

While I can see the reasoning there, why use such a wide brush?  It seems to me to be overkill.  Rather than deny everyone on a "they might do ABC" theory, wouldn't it be more fair to the member to deal with this on a 'case by case' basis?

- if mbr is doing it for valid reasons, and its not to POD or 'right next door' (that would be obvious, no?) then mbr continues to recieve benefits, *however* the mbr is responsible for any additional cost incurred, if any, upon posting that resulted because of the move of D GH and E while on probibited posting.  Example of a current practice in place that is similar is the Cost Comparion for mbr's proceeding on AP or TD who wish to use POMV. 

Wouldn't that make more sense, be fair to both the CF and the mbr?  This could be a legitimate QOL issue and therefore, IMO, merits consideration.

Eye In The Sky said:
While I can see the reasoning there, why use such a wide brush?  It seems to me to be overkill.  Rather than deny everyone on a "they might do ABC" theory, wouldn't it be more fair to the member to deal with this on a 'case by case' basis?

- if mbr is doing it for valid reasons, and its not to POD or 'right next door' (that would be obvious, no?) then mbr continues to recieve benefits, *however* the mbr is responsible for any additional cost incurred, if any, upon posting that resulted because of the move of D GH and E while on probibited posting.  Example of a current practice in place that is similar is the Cost Comparion for mbr's proceeding on AP or TD who wish to use POMV. 

Wouldn't that make more sense, be fair to both the CF and the mbr?  This could be a legitimate QOL issue and therefore, IMO, merits consideration.

No argument here. I have seen similar situations with 2 people recently. In both cases, they got the reply "It makes no sense but it is what it is". I even saw one situation where a mbr went to afganistan and his wife moved (on her expense) to live near her family for the duration and we had to fight to get her support from the local establishment because she was "owned" by gagetown not esquimalt.  Too many people have a box and if it doesn't fit neatly into the box it gets rejected.

Solution found.

I am entitled to have my rent and food played for.
As for canforgen says. Food will be gone for everyone as of 01 Feb 2013.

So I won't have to pay all back.. apparently the people who told me I may have to were not very good and the clerks trying to help me in Kingston are confused when I speak clearly. I say IR they say separation pay. I say benefits they say separation. So when I went to make a memo it all said separation. So the Mcpl was thinking only separation pay when I said benefits.. lots of miscommunication on their parts because they were trying to hit me with their proper terms. I blame them. The Mcpl blames them. Clerks... get your shit together.. just because you don't get in deep shit for clerical errors  doesn't mean it doesn't affect the soldier. I died a little everyday for 8 months because of this error one clerk started.

I am not entitled to separation pay which the clerk did stop in the first place. So they did do a good thing. I'm not saying all things they so is bad. But a lot of mistakes are basically a opps for them and a thank you for your mistake here $5k, my family doesn't need food anyway.

Back