• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

Temoid said:
Is there a light snack in the morning before running then( basic)? Or does the drill instructor just make you do it as soon as you get out of bed?

No, breakfast is after PT, although different schools will do this differently.

Temoid said:
Is there a light snack in the morning before running then( basic)? Or does the drill instructor just make you do it as soon as you get out of bed?

On my basic, we had breakfast before pt. Your instructors will tell you at night orders (or some platoons even had a schedule!) so you will know when to eat light.

I wouldn't want to be wolfing down my breakfast as quickly as possible and then go for a run.... people would end the run doing the 'technicolour yawn.' Not to mention the stitch that would end up forming.

regarding quebecrunner comment

quebecrunner  said if your urine is yellow before you run, your more likely to get cramps because of you haven't digested or something...but that isn't always true correct? such as if you take multi-vitamins in the morning, your urine is yellow for 3/4 of the day...

Zack said:
regarding quebecrunner comment

quebecrunner  said if your urine is yellow before you run, your more likely to get cramps because of you haven't digested or something...but that isn't always true correct? such as if you take multi-vitamins in the morning, your urine is yellow for 3/4 of the day...

If you are sufficiently hydrated, your urine will be pale yellow or clear regardless of when you take a multivitamin. For the most part, you can get everything you need at the mess though, if you eat healthy, and take a multivitamin, you are really only increasing your risk of kidney stones and indigestion.

What helps me when I run, is to keep movements very small and keep my breathing shallow, no deep breaths. I swallow any saliva build up, I find if I spit it out I cramp up, maybe its the motion involved that does that. I avoid looking around just focus on whats in front of me. hope this helps. :pushup:

Breath shallow??

Why on earth would you not want to engage your lungs?

I breath with every inch of lung tissue that I have, why waste it? It helps you to relax if you are able to breath with your belly, so to speak.... tension=fatigue.

Dog said:
Breath shallow??

Why on earth would you not want to engage your lungs?

I breath with every inch of lung tissue that I have, why waste it? It helps you to relax if you are able to breath with your belly, so to speak.... tension=fatigue.

Like no heaving breaths. Just short breaths that give you enough oxygen. I works for me, I run 4 miles 5 days a week and dont stop for cramps.

baseballinahat said:
Like no heaving breaths. Just short breaths that give you enough oxygen. I works for me, I run 4 miles 5 days a week and dont stop for cramps.

The whole idea behind people who are training is generally improvement. Your technique would ensure a very slow pace, and thus little beyond an aerobic exercise. Running the same distance at the same pace will not improve you.

Not breathing deeply seems stupid to me, and counterproductive, and as I have run endurance races for several years now, I would not recommend this course of action.

Shallow breathing? Well, I guess whatever works for certain people, but I wouldn't generally recommend that method.

I try and breathe deep and steady, so as to keep a rhythm. When my breathing starts to get sporadic and shallow, I know I'm almost done for.

I believe the concept for deep breathing was to get "bad air" (I term it this because I can't remember from high school science days if it is CO or CO2) out of the lungs.  By ensuring that you fully exhale while running you will usually get rid of the cramps in the stomach which sometime occur. Mind you, if you are not working at full capacity or a high heart rate, forcing yourself to breathe deeply might not be a good idea. Some other misc points:

- Muscles need oxygen
- If you are conducting a long run at a truly low heart-rate pace, you will probably not find yourself taking deep breaths.  This would occur if you subscribe to the theory that long runs at lower heart rate result in greater body fat burning as opposed to risking muscle mass by conducting a more anaerobic (faster) run for longer distances.

Hi!

First of all, thanks for this amazing thread.

But secondly, I have a question, and since there were 27 pages to go through, and the search function yielded no result, I'm just going to ask it.

I have a problem when it comes to running.

Whenever I run with my unit, the pace is usually faster than my usual pace. But then I try my best to keep up, and I usually do.

Until they start sprinting...

We would run for maybe 1.5km or 2.km, and then break out in a sprint for about 200m or 300m. Here is where I start having problems. I have trouble keeping up. And then after the sprint when the pace is normalized, I have trouble keeping up again. Near the 1km mark going back, this is usually where I fall out.

This has happened a few times now, and I'm annoyed at the fact that it wasn't a problem in BMQ, SQ, or DP1.

My DP2 course is next week, and I know I'm in for a heck of run since my pt instructor was the one bringing us on the runs.

I know I've lost my physical abilities since school started in September, but is there anyway (aside from training myself back to that level, which I've been doing), to help me when the sprinting starts in terms of breathing, footwork, mental state, body posture, etc?

Thanks a bunch

Pyromechanica

I can share with you some thoughts but I am by no means an expert nor can someone diagnose what is occurring without a better description of the nature of the problem when the unit starts sprinting.  But I'll give it a shot, unfortunately most of these are longer term solutions not short term:

1)  I am going to assume that it is a lactic acid problem in the leg muscles which is slowing you down.  In this case you may want to practice interval type training where you run shorter bursts (perhaps around a track) at a higher than normal speed followed by a equal length rest period (walking) then another shorter burst of high speed - continue for a number of laps.  The shorter bursts should cause a lactic acid build up in the legs and the rest periods will allow the body to deal with  the lactic acid.  By training your body to deal with the lactic acid you should have less difficulty when you do the longer runs with the short sprint interval;

2)  If you are cramping up during/after the sprint try and make sure you are fully exhaling to get the CO2 out of your lungs and/or try changing your breathing pattern.  For example when I run, I generally fall into a pattern of exhaling every second step on my right foot - if I notice cramping I generally will try and ensure I fully exhale on every second step with my LEFT foot.

3)  Also try and sure you keep your posture upright as much as possible to allow for maximum, uninterupted flow of Oxygen to the lungs while running.

4) Lastly try and eat something half an hour before the run to ensure you have the energy to complete it.  Maybe something with simple carbohydrates?

plattypuss said:
1)  I am going to assume that it is a lactic acid problem in the leg muscles which is slowing you down.  In this case you may want to practice interval type training where you run shorter bursts (perhaps around a track) at a higher than normal speed followed by a equal length rest period (walking) then another shorter burst of high speed - continue for a number of laps.  The shorter bursts should cause a lactic acid build up in the legs and the rest periods will allow the body to deal with  the lactic acid.  By training your body to deal with the lactic acid you should have less difficulty when you do the longer runs with the short sprint interval;

Good advice.

High Intensity Interval Training.

Give this some thought: how flexible are your legs? Do your hamstrings (back of you leg) feel tight? How about hip flexors? If they are tight, they can effect your stride length, and will literally hold you back.

I am not a kinesiologist, but after many years of running, I have come to determine that I have tight hamstrings, and I really need to take the time to stretch them, and also work on hip flexor flexibility.

You didn't indicate that if it was that you were having trouble breathing (lung capacity) or just couldn't keep up because of leg strength. Very hard to judge (IMO) based on what you mentioned.

I would highly recommend getting yourself to a Running Room store (or equivalent) and talk to them. Link for website: http://www.runningroom.com/hm/ . They have a lot of helpful info there. I would also suggest buying "Running: From Start to Finish" by John Stanton. Lot's of good advice for the beginner. If you can, see the CFPSA PSP personnel if are near a base. Their job is to assist pers with things like this.

Hope this helps,

AL

Here's my advice for being a good runner.  I've been training for BMQ for about 6 mo.(yes, that's right, I had to wait that long for my file to go through :-\) and running for fun for about a couple years before that.  Take it slow, listen to your body and do what it tells you, if you're hurting, slow down.  Don't be afraid to push your own personal boundaries and try to set goals for yourself, even if they're small ones. At least it's progress.  And most of all, make it fun for yourself, use the distractions around you to keep your mind off of the fatigue.  Do this and you'll do okay.  If this doesn't work for you, well then, I don't know what I'm doing.  But it's worked for me, I'm in the best shape of my life and can only hope to improve(see what I mean about setting goals).  Be good to your body and the rest will follow.

;)

You must be walking, how long does it take you to run that .....I suggest pacing out a few k's. Get a stop watch and "time" each run, you will see how well you are running RECORD the time. Then slowly try to beat each time and increase the k's.Also run in an area where it's not just flat. Find a trail, ravine or something with hills and stairs.Trust me you do this you will be in great shape.Remember stretch before and after if you get lactic acid build up eat bananas the potassium helps with this. ;)

I have a question about pushups. I don't think im doing them right. i know it's kinda hard to not do them right as it's just lay down hands under your shoulders and push up.

Well yesterday I did 20 pushups fine I wasnt tired my arms didnt feel tired nothing at all ok and then today I do 20 and my arms are sore and breathing rate increased a bit. this is why I think my technique is messed up because sometimes I can do alot sometimes I cant sometimes I get tired easily sometimes I dont. Also on the ones that are harder my shoulder bones make a sound like a stick snapping everytime I go up.

anyone got any ideas what I might be doing wrong here?

Chopperhead,

There are many ways to do pushups.  You may want to check out your elbow positioning.  If you keep the elbows tight to your body then you are working the triceps more, if you let the elbows flare out to the side then it becomes more of a chest/shoulder workout.  Pay attention to your technique and you may notice that on the easy days perhaps your elbows are tight to the body and your triceps are taking more of the load.  Also watch the hand position.  Hand placement really effects which muscles are being worked when doing the pushup.  Try forming a triangle with your thumbs and fingers directly under the body and try doing a push-up - you should feel the burn in the back of the arms.  Try wider than normal, hand placement for a greater stretch in the chest and shoulder.  The popping sound in the shoulder could be cause for concern and you may want to get it checked out, is there pain associated with the popping sound?  I remember something about the popping sounds possibly being caused by oxygen in the joints.  Make sure you try and do a warm-up prior to doing the push up and always cool down after exercise. 

I think that there is too much SCARE statements being used in ref to the shuttle run or express test. It is not that difficult if you are in any sort of shape.

You can practice doing the shuttle in the gym on your own time by picking two points on the floor and running between them starting real slow and gradually picking up speed as you go until you can go any further. Over time you will you will find that it is not not hard to do the test at all and reach exempt levels easily. The test starts off incredibly slow and pick up speed as you go. The trick to doing the shuttle run is to face the same wall when you stop, by this I mean that you stop and return pushing off opposite legs at each side or turning point. That way you are not tiring out one leg more than the other. That is generally what causes people to have such a hard time with it.

I ran the shuttle for the first time when I was 41 and because I learned about the proper way to do the stops and push offs I managed to reach level ten on the first go around.

Hope this helps

Back