• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rucksack Weight

• Thread starter Thread starter Danny
  • Start date Start date
D

Danny

Just wondering, what is the weight of the average rucksack?

50 - 55 LBS average Sometimes, 30 - 40 LBS, and alot for on a tour, Maby up to 100lbs. Really depends on what yah need.

You want to know what ... how much my sack weighs? Gee whiz, I don‘t even know ya.

It all depends on the EX, weather, etc. Yes, average is 50-60 Lbs. But, there are EXS when I get away with next to nothing, that‘s cause I go light, just use a bivy, and try to team up with others for the gucci supplies such as store-bought food, stove, etc.

Your ruck get‘s pretty heavy when you fill it with a change of boots, combats, binos, water, etc. You really need to figure out what is useful on a given EX and what you can do without.

It depends or winter or summer. 20 to 30 in summer 40 to 50 in winter.

Remember this is also not combat conditions this is just for a ex. Ask some of the guys from the PPCLI in Afgan how much. With all the extra ammo for yourself and the section it could go near 100 plus the flack jacket and the extra webbing and water.

Winter Ex this year mine just broke the 60lb mark. That was before I had the homour of adding some stores to it and the extreme honour of carrying the C-6. :mg:

What the heck do you need for a 48 hour ex that weighs 40 to 60 pounds? My kit may have weighed that much when I was a gunner and we actually had rounds to shoot. Why are you bringing a change of boots? All I carry is 3x gitch 3x sock 2x t shirts abolutions kit and 1x pants. And of course sleep kit. I would get along fine with a nuke bag. Winter ex is alittle diff but 60 pounds? Mind you I‘m in the mo and regs go into the field alot longer. but if your posting a question like this you are aswell. Soldiers have a habit of trying to be ready for every possible problem and over pack as a result. The more time in you will be able to gage what you do and don‘t need.

I‘m not sure how cold it gets in the Toronto area, but I know when its below -40, I want to have my warm kit with me.

simple math
Train as you fight, fight as you train.

Think what the guys had to carry in afgan, 100 pounds lets say, what good are you carrying 30 pounds and then all of a sudden your in a operational enviroment and you have to carry twice the weight that your used too.
Same for the webbing, I have lead weights in my mag pouches, dummy grenades, etc...
Not only will you be used to the weight, but you‘ll have a better understanding what you really need and what keeps you alive, also your webbing should be a running load, also you should have the bear esentials in your buttpack.

I have to agree with Al here. The old adage train hard, fight easy. As opposed to the opposite, train easy, fight hard, and die.

I always carried extra kit to make up the weight, or to simulate ammo etc,. Not weights (although I‘ve seen that done) but extra clothes rats for the numpties who never learned.

Funny I always carried a light ruck around to simulate the room I would have to leave to fit ammunition etc. :D

That was one of the shortcommings, I always found in the militia, was the 48 hr ex mindset. As the Sgt. Major has explained carrying what is on the kit list 1. Simulates the true weight of load bearing equipment when you have to do this for real, and 2. Assures that every member of the unit has what they require to operate in the climate you are working in/

Well I guess I‘m not as hard as you guys. And carrying nonecential kit to make up weight to sim ammo makes you a better tougher troop. Then good on you. 48 hour mindset? Of course I have a 48 hour mindset I‘m a weekender. And Philman do know what a metrep is? It‘s to see if you need to bring your minus 40 kit. You guys think destroying your body for no reason makes you a real soldier. In an operational environment is a totally differant story. That 100 pounds of weight was probably 75 % ammo and 25% personal. Whats that a 25 LB ruck? I hope you brought the Moltrin.

"The old adage train hard, fight easy. As opposed to the opposite, train easy, fight hard, and die." - Danjanou

That‘s great

An AAR from the American‘s first foray in the Afghanistan admitted that the number one change they should have made was to reduce the load they were carrying, and to carry more cold weather kit.

Sounds like a paradox, doesn‘t it!

If I can find the actual document I will quote some of it.

Originally posted by Danjanou:
[qb] I have to agree with Al here. The old adage train hard, fight easy. As opposed to the opposite, train easy, fight hard, and die.

I always carried extra kit to make up the weight, or to simulate ammo etc,. Not weights (although I‘ve seen that done) but extra clothes rats for the numpties who never learned. [/qb]
Heheheh,so true!
I was in Dundurn in 95 going through preselection with the 3rd Pat.‘s. for Op. Cav.?
Well any way when it came to our 12k ruck march the night before B Coy was called to the SQ. with ruck‘s.
Alas there‘s a set of scale‘s. :eek:
We were weighed first with out our ruck then with, those who weighed short were given radio batteries to stuff in and make up the weight.

Yup 55lbs was the guage back then and it‘s still the average weight today if you follow the kit list.

Want to be a pathfinder? Get ready....140 Pounds by the end of the course (all mission essential kit). I‘m assuming that support weapons fall under that catagory as well.

140 eh? :eek:

That‘s more then I weigh!
(guess I‘ll scratch that off my list of possible future occupations) :p

Want to be a pathfinder? Get ready....140 Pounds by the end of the course (all mission essential kit). I‘m assuming that support weapons fall under that catagory as well.
...and how would you know that? Do they offer the Pathfinder course to cadets now?

Originally posted by CrazyCanuck:
[qb] "The old adage train hard, fight easy. As opposed to the opposite, train easy, fight hard, and die." - Danjanou

That‘s great [/qb]
I get the sentiment, but I highly doubt any fighting is "easy".

It‘s probably alot easier if you‘ve trained properly....

Back