• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RT 524 parts

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Looking to see if any RQ/CQ's have any 524 radio kit hiding in the back of cages or lockers, have a 4x4 friend who just got one of the old Military CJ-7s
and is looking to re kit it. any odds and ends will help.

Thanks.

Big help would be the power cable from the radio mount to the 12/24 volt converter, cables, or the radio base mount.

my72jeep said:
Looking to see if any RQ/CQ's have any 524 radio kit hiding in the back of cages or lockers, have a 4x4 friend who just got one of the old Military CJ-7s
and is looking to re kit it. any odds and ends will help.

Thanks.

Big help would be the power cable from the radio mount to the 12/24 volt converter, cables, or the radio base mount.

Those items are all CONTROLLED GOODS.  Time to refer you to the CTAT site.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/3000/3003-0-eng.asp

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/3000/3003-1-eng.asp

http://www.logisticsquarterly.com/issues/7-3/article10.html

Sorry What I'm looking for all became obsolete 10 years ago and disposed of for the most part. a lot of the radio mounts and matching units along with the cables were left in the Ilits as they were sold off, so I don't think the Military is to worried about it. I'm not looking for the new stuff only the old out of date crap.

my72jeep said:
Sorry What I'm looking for all became obsolete 10 years ago and disposed of for the most part. a lot of the radio mounts and matching units along with the cables were left in the Ilits as they were sold off, so I don't think the Military is to worried about it. I'm not looking for the new stuff only the old out of date crap.

Became obsolete to us 10 years ago, but perhaps not to others.  Also, it is only in the last year that the REAL PANIC has hit as to enforcing these regulations.  Another point about the year, as it was told to me, the "Grandfather Clause" only covers items prior to 1885 or there abouts.  If you have a cannon from the 1600's on your front lawn, you are safe.  If you have a 25 Pounder from WWII, you may have to do some research.  These regulations make most retired Service and LEOs criminals.  How many have kept technical manuals or other souvenirs of their past military or LEO jobs?

I know many Military Vehicle enthusiasts/collectors and according to these regulations, for them to own an operational military vehicle is illegal.  Rather extreme interpretation in my view, but my view doesn't count. 

[Edit to clarify something:  The vehicle itself may be 'civilianized' by the removal of military specific items such as the Black Out Drive cluster/switches, comms equipment and harness, electronic devices and sensors, wpns systems, etc.  In the end you have a civilian vehicle.  Not quite what the Military Vehicle Collector wants.]

OK does make sense kind of. 1n 2005 4 buds of mine bought used Iltis at the then PWGC compond in Mississauga, drove 2 and towed 2 of them back home. the next day we looked them over, all we needed to do to use the 524 comms was to clean the contacts and insert the radios 2 of them ha the antennas still on them  one had the gps mount and antenna in it all had the 5lb ansuls in them. I was just asking. sorry to set off the Op Sec buzzers.

Might take a while, but I bet you can search around google and find a wiring diagram to make yourself a cable. The Americans used similar radios so the info is out there. Finding an enthusiast forum is your best bet.

I have all the US radio Manuals and I wont say if I have the Canadian versions, the antenna coax is a stocked item at The Source but the antenna matching cable is a bit more technical and with out the non comercal ends it a bust to make. Every part to install the 524 into a jeep is on EBay right now at a cost any where from $200-$1000. I was looking for kit that was collecting dust all ready written off and about to be tossed.

Not sure if this is the case any more, but last time I went to Dayton OH for the annual amateur radio convention and flea market (1992) they were selling PRC 77 sets... and they were still in use with the CF! I would think you could get parts there.

I have a complete 25/77 set and a working 524 for my jeep but this is for some one else's jeep.

There are tons of these radios (many other mil type also) and ancilliary equipment for sale stateside at auctions and electronic shows. Much of the stuff is brand new, still in the wrapper and the prices aren't crazy either. Teltec is right. The Dayton show has loads of this stuff, not jut 77 sets. Gotta go early though.

Lots of ham operators use them.

I know four in my area that have 524's, 510's and 77\125 sets. There's even a couple of operational C-42s kicking around as well as a 19 set.

recceguy said:
There are tons of these radios (many other mil type also) and ancilliary equipment for sale stateside at auctions and electronic shows. Much of the stuff is brand new, still in the wrapper and the prices aren't crazy either. Teltec is right. The Dayton show has loads of this stuff, not jut 77 sets. Gotta go early though.

Lots of ham operators use them.

I know four in my area that have 524's, 510's and 77\125 sets. There's even a couple of operational C-42s kicking around as well as a 19 set.
Right now on evil bay you can kit a  Company radio van for  about $2500. the kit starting to dry up in Canada and the prices are going up. my working 524 cost me $250 delivered they are going for $900 now.one web site has a 524 for 550 euros. now I think thats a lot?

Teltech said:
Not sure if this is the case any more, but last time I went to Dayton OH for the annual amateur radio convention and flea market (1992) they were selling PRC 77 sets... and they were still in use with the CF! I would think you could get parts there.

OK.  That is perfectly legal in the US of A.  In the States they can own any of this stuff.  They can buy and operate surplus tanks.  They can legally buy and use NVGs.  Unfortunately, the agreements we have with the US, and are now beginning to enforce here under CONTROLLED GOODS, means that it is illegal to own those items outside of the US. 

It is becoming obvious that you all belong to Units who have lied about the percentages of their members have successfully completed CTAT training.  This is all mandated training that was supposed to be completed over a month ago.

Take a pill George. I suppose you expect all the current civvie owners to turn in what they legally bought previously to satisfy you? And you  can stop the self righteous shit about falsifying returns, especially when they were tracked electronically. Your tighty, whitey oldtimer's panties are pulled up too high.

edit - cause I'm a nice guy

George Wallace said:
It is becoming obvious that you all belong to Units who have lied about the percentages of their members have successfully completed CTAT training.  This is all mandated training that was supposed to be completed over a month ago.

All I hear is blah blah blah and Mr. Wallace yet again making broad brush strokes based on very little.

Geez man the dude wants more parts for something that he bought as surplus years ago.  This isn't some CTAT witch hunt.  Dude didn't even know the parts may be part of the CTAT.  Hell some of the parts may very well not be CTAT controlled but I am guessing no one looked them up.

recceguy said:
Take a pill George. I suppose you expect all the current civvie owners to turn in what they legally bought previously to satisfy you? And you  can stop the self righteous shit about falsifying returns, especially when they were tracked electronically.

Not worried about any civies owning anything.  It is now a fact that the government is clamping down on Controlled Goods and you know it.  As for the rest of your comments, stick it.  We were getting monthly, then weekly emails from Bde (to send them returns to report to LFA) to update and have all our pers qualified/trained by end of November, as were you/your unit.  Another fact that has nothing to do with me.

Times have changed.  Just another set of regulations that affect our lives, as have the changes to the Gun Laws before them.

MJP

This is not a CTAT witch hunt.  It started out an information to the OP and then others had to add comments to say what others had done in the past and whatnot to the contrary, leading to this.  This is not the past, nor is it somewhere in the States.  Times and Regulations have changed.  Now you join the crowd with your two cents and this type of trivial insults.  Fill your boots.  You are just adding to make this a pointless discussion.

George Wallace said:
MJP

This is not a CTAT witch hunt.  It started out an information to the OP and then others had to add comments to say what others had done in the past and whatnot to the contrary, leading to this.  This is not the past, nor is it somewhere in the States.  Times and Regulations have changed.  Now you join the crowd with your two cents and this type of trivial insults.  Fill your boots.  You are just adding to make this a pointless discussion.

You are the one you broad brushed insinuated that our units and by extension ourselves have lied about our CTAT numbers.  I have been around here for quite sometime and you have a habit of making very broad brush statements that in no way reflect the truth.  Since surplus CTAT items in a very small way is in my lane, I (among others) called you out for your statement.  If you find it a trivial insult, then so be it.  But you were the one that dialed up the vitriol with your responses, so believe me your post was taken with a pretty big grain of salt.

Okay, here's the scoop.  They are Controlled Goods (DMC: F), I just checked CGCS.  The radio is 1B/D, meaning item is under review for cancellation, and it's in disposal status. 

I can guarantee you that any parts in CFSS that haven't already been destroyed will not be going to eBay, they're going into an industrial shredder.  I know this because I'm Lead Technical Authority for the RT-524's brother radio, which is in shipboard use but also heading to the shredder, one by one, along with all my spare parts for it.

The Americans are watching us very closely, and audits can and will be performed on our handling of Controlled Goods and Controlled Goods Data.  We've been warned.  Don't underestimate the seriousness of the issue.

MJP said:
You are the one you broad brushed insinuated that our units and by extension ourselves have lied about our CTAT numbers.

Sorry I hurt your sensibilities there.  It isn't a broad brush.  Units have been doing so.  100% compliance is a bit hard to believe in some cases.  It is only in the last few weeks that they have made some progress in sorting out the linking of entries on the various data bases, Monitor Mass, HMRS, etc.   

If you want a contact at DND, contact Jim Hardick with your questions, or visit their website.

George Wallace said:
We were getting monthly, then weekly emails from Bde (to send them returns to report to LFA) to update and have all our pers qualified/trained by end of November, as were you/your unit.

Except, being quite a bit larger than your outfit, we hit our target. Unlike your unit that seemed to have needed weekly reminders. ;)

It's a work night and I can't maintain the liquid ingestion to maintain this pissing contest, especially if your trying to make it a pseudo Godwin type argument by trying to tie this, somehow non sensibly, to gun control.

Merry Christmas George :gottree:

No. You didn't win either 8)

Occam said:
Okay, here's the scoop.  They are Controlled Goods (DMC: F), I just checked CGCS.  The radio is 1B/D, meaning item is under review for cancellation, and it's in disposal status. 

I can guarantee you that any parts in CFSS that haven't already been destroyed will not be going to eBay, they're going into an industrial shredder.  I know this because I'm Lead Technical Authority for the RT-524's brother radio, which is in shipboard use but also heading to the shredder, one by one, along with all my spare parts for it.

The Americans are watching us very closely, and audits can and will be performed on our handling of Controlled Goods and Controlled Goods Data.  We've been warned.  Don't underestimate the seriousness of the issue.
do you have the link i can look at I spent the last 3 hours looking and can find wood eggs missiles nukes ammo but nothing about radios.

Back