• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

Getting into RMC is very competitive. To my understanding the top applicants that have RMC as their choice (some may already be in university and not need to go to RMC due to their program or other variables) are placed in RMC. Then, as they move down the list, those that are still competitive but not strong enough to pass those placed in RMC are allowed the civy U option as first year spots at RMC would be full.

In my case I am applying for civy U and have not placed RMC as an option on my application as my program is not offered at RMC and I am a second year student.

Again if anyone has anything to add or correct on my post please add as I am no expert lol.

Hope this helps a bit

nairna said:
Getting into RMC is very competitive. To my understanding the top applicants that have RMC as their choice (some may already be in university and not need to go to RMC due to their program or other variables) are placed in RMC. Then, as they move down the list, those that are still competitive but not strong enough to pass those placed in RMC are allowed the civy U option as first year spots at RMC would be full.

In my case I am applying for civy U and have not placed RMC as an option on my application as my program is not offered at RMC and I am a second year student.

Again if anyone has anything to add or correct on my post please add as I am no expert lol.

Hope this helps a bit

RMC is very competitive however people who get Civy U who put RMC as a first choice were not necessarily "beaten out" by some superior human being. Civy U is competitive in itself due to its small numbers accepted and generally those considered are people who are focused on Civy U, not RMC rejects. Generally you have a younger group being accepted to RMC and a more mature and in general older crowd accepted to ROTP under Civy U.  Staff at CMR St Jean and CFLRS have on occasion even mentioned that there is generally more maturity with the Civy U group since as it was earlier pointed out, it is generally full of a group who are more focused on getting a specific education followed by a specific career with their trade in the CF.

These though are generalizations and comments I have heard from my staff in the past and are not universally applicable but saying that RMC which accepts almost 5 times more people than civy U hardly makes it more competitive.

Thanks for the info folks. I'm glad to hear that typing is allowed. My handwriting is quite honestly horrendous.

nairna said:
On average it is around 300 according to the NCFRC, last year it was around 250. There are more accepted into it RMC than civy U, last year it was about 65 out of the 250. This has a multitude of reasons such as the design of RMC, the age of applicants, most civy U students have a general idea of what career they want to attain, and so many more. Hope that helps clear some things up.

If anyone has anything to add or to correct please post.

My numbers of 250 total at RMCC with about 65 of them civy u was only from what I saw there in Kingston. There were more civilian university students and RMC St. Jean students that did their recruit camp at St. Jean. I do not know how many.

I think we can all agree that the bottom line is that ROTP in general is competitive. It is difficult to say if it is more competitive to get into RMC or a civilian school, and it probably changes from year to year. The only thing you can do to improve your chances of getting into your first choice of institution is beef up your application in any way you can; get better marks, play more team sports, hit the gym, volunteer, get into leadership positions, and take advantage of any other opportunity that will bode well for you on your application. This applies to any person applying to the ROTP program, and will better your chances of getting your first choice, regardless of how competitive either route may be.

Pudd13 is entirely correct. That's why I'm swallowing my pride to go back to school to upgrade my math marks, alongside my volunteering, my work, and my rugby and curling teams.

pudd13 said:
I think we can all agree that the bottom line is that ROTP in general is competitive. It is difficult to say if it is more competitive to get into RMC or a civilian school, and it probably changes from year to year. The only thing you can do to improve your chances of getting into your first choice of institution is beef up your application in any way you can; get better marks, play more team sports, hit the gym, volunteer, get into leadership positions, and take advantage of any other opportunity that will bode well for you on your application. This applies to any person applying to the ROTP program, and will better your chances of getting your first choice, regardless of how competitive either route may be.
No it is probably not more difficult to say which is more competitive.  That being said you aren't in the system even so I highly doubt you are an expert on the subject. I for a fact know that I'm not either, the people who can shed light on this are involved in the application process  at the higher levels and with the CFRCs. I think it's fair to say that this doesn't include you.

I never tried to make it sound like I was an expert, or that I was involved in the higher levels, and that is why it is difficult to say which route would be more competitive. Based on the information acceptable to me, as an outsider, it is difficult for me to say whether it is more competitive to get in to a civilian school or RMC under ROTP.

If you don't think its difficult to determine which one is more competitive, as a a non-expert, then please, do tell.

Perhaps I should have said, in my previous post, that "it is difficult as an outsider to say if it more competitive..."

Well if we feel like being picky.

Rogo said:
No it is probably not more difficult to say which is more competitive.  That being said you aren't in the system even so I highly doubt you are an expert on the subject. I for a fact know that I'm not either, the people who can shed light on this are involved in the application process  at the higher levels and with the CFRCs. I think it's fair to say that this doesn't include you.

More difficult than what exactly?

Well observed, Armoured.  ::)

The point is that you don't know, I don't know, and half if not more of the people on this forum won't know. There are people on here though who will know why the numbers are the way they are and going from making statements that may be false to well I guess it's a magical mystery that no one will ever figure out seems more like you backpeddling.  Don't, stand your ground on what you feel is correct but atleast have some fact or points to back it up.

Easy guys. Remember, you might be roommates ;D

Anyways, I got my call from the Vancouver CFRC. They told me to give them a call on Tuesday about the date of the CFAT. Gosh, I'm really nervous already.
I live in an extremely remote place: Masset, Queen Charlotte Islands, BC. Takes 3 WEEKs for my crap to go to my nearest CFRC.

There's no place to volunteer here except the food bank, so I'm there diligently every time it opens (every 2 weeks). That, and I'm running on the beach every day at 0530. I have to get used to getting up early, and I might as well start now... I never realized how dark it is at that time (thank god for LED headlamps :D ), and how spectacular the sunrises are.
Counting down the hours until Tuesday now...  ;D

Perhaps you consider it backpeddling, but I consider it clarifying what I was trying to say, as there was apparently some misinterpretation of what I was trying to get across. Anyways, this is besides the point, because the main point of my entire post was that ROTP in general is competitive, and every applicant should treat it accordingly, regardless of if they think they are taking a harder or easier route, which I believe is difficult to distinguish between.

Thousand, that's great news. I am waiting for CFRC Vancouver to call me. Out of curiosity, when did you submit your ROTP application to CFRC Vancouver? And good job on the running and volunteering, I am sure that will all look good on your application and in your interview.

Thousand said:
Easy guys. Remember, you might be roommates ;D

Anyways, I got my call from the Vancouver CFRC. They told me to give them a call on Tuesday about the date of the CFAT. Gosh, I'm really nervous already.
I live in an extremely remote place: Masset, Queen Charlotte Islands, BC. Takes 3 WEEKs for my crap to go to my nearest CFRC.

There's no place to volunteer here except the food bank, so I'm there diligently every time it opens (every 2 weeks). That, and I'm running on the beach every day at 0530. I have to get used to getting up early, and I might as well start now... I never realized how dark it is at that time (thank god for LED headlamps :D ), and how spectacular the sunrises are.
Counting down the hours until Tuesday now...  ;D

My advice: Rigorously practice any areas you might be weak in for the CFAT. You don't want to be like me and have your recruiter ask you to take an upgrader course in Mathematics so you can rewrite your CFAT and have a stronger application. :p Trust me on this: You don't want that, haha.

That sounds like great advice. Some people I have talked to have said that the CFAT is really easy, some people have said it is really hard. I think (but do not know, as I am not an expert, as has been pointed out) that your performance of the CFAT comes from your testing abilities as well as your actual aptitude. Some people simply don't test well. The obvious first place to start would be doing the practice CFAT on the CF website, and assessing your skills on that. After that, there are plenty of similar aptitude tests online that test the same skills, and from what I know there are several books published that specifically help with aptitude testing. The CFAT is one spot you don't want to get hung up on, because it plays a large role in what job you will eventually be working.

Ensure to have a good nights rest the night before but also if possible the two nights before that.  Eat well, drink well (water not beer), and try to remain relaxed aswell as practicing if you have that option available to you.

Yeah Rogo, you are exactly right. I have even heard that you should reschedule if you have a cold or anything. Any spent spent blowing a nose or sneezing is time you can't spend on your test. You definitely want to be the best condition possible to write that test, so as to give yourself the greatest chance at success.

I have personal experience with the CFAT and not writing it in desirable conditions. I wrote my CFAT, last November when I was going for reserves and I did not sleep the night before and did not practice because I had mine booked for two days from then. Went in and wrote with no sleep and no breakfast. It was quite a struggle. I decided in December that I wanted to do ROTP and when I submitted my papers the recruiter said I was two points off from the cut off line for officer, so I was very upset as you could imagine. So word of advice to everyone, make sure you do a practice test to get an understanding of what the test is like, sleep well, and eat a good breakfast, you should be fairly successful if you do! 

As Nairna said, if you don't take care of your body you will struggle.  If you take care of your body and you possess the aptitude then you will find it easy. I work for a campus medical team and you won't believe the stuff I see on occasion in regards to people not taking care of themselves. I've had calls where I arrived on scene to a patient who was in an exam and almost fully unconcious with their vitals crashing all because for the 30hrs before they didn't take care of themselves.  Take it seriously gents and ladies....  :nod:

I am not surprised by that at all. Too many students these days, including myself on occasion, forget the necessity of sleep and food and overall health in order for your brain to function properly. Lots of students think staying up all night studying and drinking red bulls to stay awake will help them more than studying less and getting a decent amount of sleep. This is obviously not true, and every person needs to find a good balance of studying and sleep (and health in general). I think these words of advice that Rogo and nairna have given for the CFAT also apply to the interview. You definitely need to be healthy and well rested in order to think clearly during your interview.

Back