• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rileys or Argylls

Yes, you can join a (reserve) unit before you are loaded on a BMQ. BMQs and BMQ (L) are held during the winter months for week end courses.

I like summer courses better myself, but I understand that this is not always an option for everyone.

Dissident said:
Yes, you can join a (reserve) unit before you are loaded on a BMQ. BMQs and BMQ (L) are held during the winter months for week end courses.

I like summer courses better myself, but I understand that this is not always an option for everyone.

Ah thank you for clearing that up. I was wondering what is BMQ (L)? Anyways, I guess my only issue now is which reserve unit is hiring! I hope I get some emails soon, but if anyone is in the know please get at me!
Thanks again everyone.

dangles said:
I was wondering what is BMQ (L)?

BMQ(L) is the new name for SQ. It's a continuation of BMQ where you'll learn more "green" uniform type stuff instead of the the more CF wide topics covered in BMQ.

As a reservist in Ontario, I feel pretty qualified to weigh in on this.

Probably nine soldiers out of ten will do their BMQ part time during the fall and winter, roughly every second weekend. They'll then do a BMQ(L) and DP1-Infantry that summer, either in June/July or July/August. Then they show up at their regiment and play new guy for most of a year.

Full time BMQs in summer have occasionally happened. I've never heard of part time summer BMQ; everyone who wants to do army work is tasked out full time, and the rest are doing whatever it is you do in the summer when you aren't grabbing your ankles for the army (Every summer since 2004  ;D).

If you can make that every odd weekend and that first two month summer, though, you're good, and moreover you start to become useful to us.

BMQ- How to dress yourself, shave, wake up early, and march up-and-down the square. Basic rifle handling. Suck in tear gas build character, and every possible iteration of the 'f' bomb.

BMQ(L)- More weapons (machineguns, grenades), basic fieldcraft, participating in a reconaissance patrol, participate in section attacks, and sit cold and getting rained on in a shoddily constructed trench for four days build character. NAvigating with map and compass, living in the woods... Some other stuff that I've no doubt I'm forgetting.

DP1- Inf More weapons (mortars, grenade launchers), platoon level tactics such as fighting patrols, hasty attacks, platoon defensive operations character building, and so on and so forth.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. My knowledge of specific course curricula is two years behind, though; minor variations may have been made.

Brihard said:
As a reservist in Ontario, I feel pretty qualified to weigh in on this.

Probably nine soldiers out of ten will do their BMQ part time during the fall and winter, roughly every second weekend. They'll then do a BMQ(L) and DP1-Infantry that summer, either in June/July or July/August. Then they show up at their regiment and play new guy for most of a year.

Full time BMQs in summer have occasionally happened. I've never heard of part time summer BMQ; everyone who wants to do army work is tasked out full time, and the rest are doing whatever it is you do in the summer when you aren't grabbing your ankles for the army (Every summer since 2004  ;D).

If you can make that every odd weekend and that first two month summer, though, you're good, and moreover you start to become useful to us.

BMQ- How to dress yourself, shave, wake up early, and march up-and-down the square. Basic rifle handling. Suck in tear gas build character, and every possible iteration of the 'f' bomb.

BMQ(L)- More weapons (machineguns, grenades), basic fieldcraft, participating in a reconaissance patrol, participate in section attacks, and sit cold and getting rained on in a shoddily constructed trench for four days build character. NAvigating with map and compass, living in the woods... Some other stuff that I've no doubt I'm forgetting.

DP1- Inf More weapons (mortars, grenade launchers), platoon level tactics such as fighting patrols, hasty attacks, platoon defensive operations character building, and so on and so forth.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. My knowledge of specific course curricula is two years behind, though; minor variations may have been made.

Thank you both for the help Jeff and Brihard. As a matter of fact Brihard I do have a couple questions, one being what does the average infantry soldier do when on parade at a reserve unit for a night?

Also, does the BMQ(L) and DP1 NEED to be completed in the summer months? Just wondering because of my summer job and all [I realize it is one year away from the date I begin, but I still plan on having the job].

Lastly, if I choose to OT [not sure if this is the right term for a reservist to transfer into the regular force ranks], do I get to skip the BMQ/BMQ(L) I have already completed? And on another note, if I have yet to complete BMQ(L) or DP1 through the reserves, am I allowed to transfer into the reg force without those courses under my belt? Thanks for all the help you can give me.

BMQ(L) does run on weekends throughout the year. There is one running in Hamilton right now.

If you are able to get your paper work in quickly:
-You could be sworn in before the summer
-If you join the Argylls you could start parading with the unit (the RHLI's believe in segregation) before the summer
-During the summer you can relax and do your thing (and get your PT ready for BMQ)
-In the fall you can be head of the line for the weekend BMQ
-In the winter (Jan/Feb ish) you can start straight into a weekend BMQ (L)
-By the time that is completed you can go straight into your month of DP1 Inf, which is the one you'll be required to go away for

If you are able to follow that schedule, you can get your brain into "course mode", and get your body in shape, and stay that way for a year before ever slowing down to catch your breath.

As to what you would do on parade nights, that depends on the unit, and on the time of year. Both units have strengths and areas they prefer to train in, but in both you'll run the gamut from training for winter warfare to urban ops, to classic war fighting, the parade square drill, to training for domestic operations. You'll find this in pretty much any unit.

One key difference is that the Argylls run a PAT platoon, so during parade nights, until you're fully qualified, you'll get inspected (learning to wear your uniform), learn some drill, learn some weapons handling skills, etc. This is all stuff that will be re-taught to you on course, but going in with some knowledge and a bit of confidence let's you focus on other details and lessen the learning curve. The RHLI will not allow you to parade with the unit until you are fully qualified.

Good luck.

Hm, OK. We don't run part time BMQ(L) up here in 33 brigade. IMHO, that course is best run full time. Well, all are, but I draw the line after BMQ, myself. But obviously different brigades may do things differently. As long as they don't try that part time DP1 abortion again that I heard of some years back.

Dangles- Parade nights can be damned near anything. Depends on how creative your leadership is, what training priorities have been dictated from higher, what resources are available...  My training nights run everything from a few hours of death by powerpoint lectures, to weapons handling or the digital simulation ranges, basic hand to hand, I've even had a Thursday night where we were able to go out to the range and shoot. You might do walk through/walk throughs for various section or platoon level tactical movements... All kinds of stuff, much of which own't make any sense to you yet.

The big thing to take away is that it can be unpredictable what you'll be doing on Thursdays.

Again many thanks to responding to my questions Tough and Brihard. I like how there is a level of mystery accompanying what one will do on a parade night, at least that should keep things interesting. Also, Brihard, I agree with your opinion on the whole weekend BMQ(L)...although it is necessary for some people [myself obviously included], I feel like I am missing something with all the breaks taken in between the training - but whatever I can't complain with a system that is only helping me.

Toughenough, which unit are you talking about in terms of getting my paperwork in quickly, or do you just mean in general? I ask because the RHLI said they are hiring only for September, and the Argylls have yet to get back to me.

I mean in general. If they are hiring for Sept, that does not mean drag your heels on the paperwork until Sept, it means get it in right away. The sooner the better. If you wait, someone else may have taken your spot.

Also, it's not that some "mystery" exists around what will happen. A training plan will come down from higher, and it will be adhered to. To say there are a lot of topics to cover in a given training year is an understatement. For example, the Argylls just completed several weeks of Winter Indoc Training, and now are in the middle of a big block of urban ops training. It just varies. In the fall, you'll often spend some time clearing off IBTS (Individual Battle Task Standards) - this is "check in the box" training where you qualify on everything for year (C7/C9/C6 handling, BFT, PWT, assault boats, mine clearance, etc, etc).

And let's not turn this into a thread about weekend vs full-time courses. Your staff will should make it challenging either way.

toughenough said:
I mean in general. If they are hiring for Sept, that does not mean drag your heels on the paperwork until Sept, it means get it in right away. The sooner the better. If you wait, someone else may have taken your spot.

Also, it's not that some "mystery" exists around what will happen. A training plan will come down from higher, and it will be adhered to. To say there are a lot of topics to cover in a given training year is an understatement. For example, the Argylls just completed several weeks of Winter Indoc Training, and now are in the middle of a big block of urban ops training. It just varies. In the fall, you'll often spend some time clearing off IBTS (Individual Battle Task Standards) - this is "check in the box" training where you qualify on everything for year (C7/C9/C6 handling, BFT, PWT, assault boats, mine clearance, etc, etc).

And let's not turn this into a thread about weekend vs full-time courses. Your staff will should make it challenging either way.

Fair enough, I look forward to hearing back from the Argylls so I can decide on the regiment I wish to join.

Did you hear back from the Argyles?  Were they recruiting?  Just curious.

Back