• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists, what's your civy job/ field of study?

VIChris

Inactive
Reaction score
Just curious how all the reservists spend their time out of uniform. Are your CF and civilian trades related?

I'm a welder/ fabricator by trade in the performance auto industry, and am awaiting on my application to be finalized for a VEH TECH position in the local service battalion. I think the two are somewhat complimentary, though I'm thinking I'll probably make use of my military training to aid my civilian work more than the other way around.

I finished training as a french chef a couple of years ago.  I do the occasional "stage" (no pay) in some restaurants here in Toronto when I have some free time.

Complimentary to my career only as an Executive Officer, which in a minor warship makes me the Food Services Officer and thus responsible for menu planning and food quality.  Tends to worry the cooks if they don't know me - particularly if they are not very good at or interested in their chosen occupation - but I stay out of the galley unless asked to offer assistance.

Senior partner in my own management consulting company and, therefore, I do largely nothing  :nod:

licensed aircraft maintenance engineer, academic coordinator at a local
ATO by day...avn tech by night and weekend.....until july 2

Sports Injury Therapist / Massage Therapist / Personal Trainer

The training has given me great insight into injuries, and how to manage them with the goal of returning to "sport".

I would like to do a component + occupational transfer and become an Army Physiotherapy Officer.

That is a great thread, I was wondering exactly the same but from a reservist candidate point of view.

Police Officer, not entirely similar to my job as an Artillery Gunner in the Army Reserve.  (Army gives me bigger guns and actually lets me use them)    :nod:

Legal.  It has little to do with being a Log O.

Electrician, so apart from setting up the odd claymore it has nothing to do with my first trade as an infantryman. 

My experience as an NCO ("Hey, you're a sergeant, you know how to deal with people") has led me to being thrown into a few supervisory roles on job sites and that has as many frustrations as rewards, specifically more headaches for the same money.  I spend more time liaising with other trades and dealing with whining apprentices and prima donna journeymen than I do actually working.  Not too much difference with the army sometimes, dealing with prima donna corporals and whiny officers (poor joke, I'm very fortunate with the quality of people I see around the unit).

Further to my last, I've dealt with tradespeople when recruiting who have existing skills they feel would be an asset to the CF reserve.  If you're a mechanic and would like to be a vehicle tech then OK.  You'll still have to attend courses, use army tools and work on army equipment.  Withing that, there's still PWTs, IBTS, BFTs, and on over the years SHARP, LDA, and ethics training.  If that's still something you like to do then great.  Personally I'm glad there's a disconnect between my military and civilian trades.  I'd hate to go from one job then rush to the same job that pays less and is much more bureaucratic but each to his own, I guess. 

Obviously for the regular force side there could be a cash incentive for some qualified applicants, so look into that.  One thing about regular force trades is that you could get out after several years as a vehicle tech (for example),  and have the provincial apprenticeship board only give you one or two years toward your journeyman ticket as your military schooling is specific to their needs and won't always cover what the board deems necessary for full qualifications.  Just in case your recruiter forgets to to tell you that too.

Correctional officer. I found out that miltary training is beneficial in the people skills you develop.

Elementary school teacher, waiting for the move to administration.  Not a whole lot to do with recce.

OldSolduer said:
Correctional officer. I found out that miltary training is beneficial in the people skills you develop.

The unsung heroes down at the bad old Don.

mariomike said:
The unsung heroes down at the bad old Don.

Actually at a facility just west of Winnipeg, although the architecture is somewhat similar.

OldSolduer said:
Actually at a facility just west of Winnipeg, although the architecture is somewhat similar.

Winnipeg? Then you must be talking about a high school, they all have bars on the windows!  ;D

ME

Correctional Officer and then Supt. of a provincial jail......27+ years in total in corrections.

Back