• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists in AFG (merged)

Mike_R23A said:
The CIMIC role has been tasked to the reserves, though Reg F members sometime fill posns when needed. On roto 3 there are only 4 CIMIC posns (all reservists); one tactical support team (1x Maj, 1xCapt, 1xWO, plus drivers) and a staff officer at KMNB, a big step down from roto 0/1, when there was a full platoon. CIMIC is a bit of an anomaly, it's not an MOC, but requires a lot of specialized training, and greatly depends on the member's interpersonal skills, it's definately not for everyone. No doubt many regulars could and have done well in the CIMIC role, but I suspect that after spending so much time and money training a reg f SNCO/Officer they would want to employ him in his trade of expertise, rather than re-train him for an additional job that a reservist could fill.

Cheers,
Mike

I know the captain and the WO for roto 3. from what they told me, they didn't really get any specialized training, or maybe they're just lying to me?
Greg

I was on my Tactical CIMIC Operator course with WO K, (and the Major) on Roto 3. In addition to that there are all sorts of other course they send us on, the Tac Op crse is the basic "qualification", after that the more training you take the better obvioulsy... there's a CIMIC battle staff crse starting monday here in Ottawa, though many CIMIC courses are run out of the county by other NATO countries or the UN... other areas of training include negotiation, project management, sales (very usefull), religion, language, emergency management (EMO). 

Mike_R23A said:
I was on my Tactical CIMIC Operator course with WO K, (and the Major) on Roto 3. In addition to that there are all sorts of other course they send us on, the Tac Op crse is the basic "qualification", after that the more training you take the better obvioulsy... there's a CIMIC battle staff crse starting monday here in Ottawa, though many CIMIC courses are run out of the county by other NATO countries or the UN... other areas of training include negotiation, project management, sales (very usefull), religion, language, emergency management (EMO).  

I knew that they got taught language, and religion (I did the basic class with them, heh). well that's cool, WO K was my old platoon warrant back in the day. sounds like you had to learn alot. I'm just curious on language training, is there alot? like I know opsec and all, but I'm just curious how much you learnt.
Greg

A week of pashtu if I recall correctly, I wanted to take the course with them in January, but couldn't get the time off then... or for the battle staff course next week, as I'm already heading to Fort Pickett Virginia on for an FTX next friday... too many good trg opportunities!

Is it a for sure thing that there are going to be reservists heading to Afganistan??  A friend of a friend has told me that its a for sure thing that late this year LER is heading out.

It's been confirmed within my unit that we are going to contribute a platoon sized group on the rotation in Feb '06. What's now being confirmed is the exact details of the takings we reservists will have in theatre.

c_canuk said:
there are all kinds of posting in Afghanistan for R215s 5 people from my unit have been and gone, and a couple weeks previous to his posting to CDS Gen Hillier stopped by the barrack Green Armouries with the message that Canada is greatly increasing it's presence in Afghanistan and Reservests are going to be needed.

My unit sends one or 2 reservists on every roto.

Hey everybody,
So after reading this thread it seems like they need CSS people for Op Athena?  I'm a res cpl mseop,  I have my ql5 and I'm doing my PLQ right now.  Would this be 'qualified' enough to go on tour in Op Athena?  If so, how would I go about applying to go?
-Dave

swoop_ds said:
Hey everybody,
So after reading this thread it seems like they need CSS people for Op Athena? I'm a res cpl mseop, I have my ql5 and I'm doing my PLQ right now. Would this be 'qualified' enough to go on tour in Op Athena? If so, how would I go about applying to go?
-Dave

This Roto is almost over, and Roto 3 is now in the process of taking over. Therefore the next Roto you might be able to go on would be Roto 04 which should be Aug 05. If you are a Res soldier, your unit will be informed by your Bde HQ of what positions your Bde has been given to fill. (These positions are managed on a national software system called CFTPO). You should ask (early) up your chain of command if there any vacancies for your MOC and qualification level.  If you meet all the requirements and are "Green" to deploy, and your chain of command supports you going, then you're in the pipeline! Good luck.

Cheers

Bonjour tout le monde

I heard that the Loyal Eddies are tasked to send a platoon to Afghanistan and that this will occure in all Res Units accross the CF.  Does anyone know more about this program and how I, in a armoured unit, can get a piece of it?

You've heard wrong and are jumping the gun more than a bit.

There are upcoming training tasks for Reservists (including serials at CMTC), but no LFWA Reserve unit has received an operational task.  The Army's managed readiness framework aludes to "potential" tasks for Reservists on upcoming deployments, including such normal things as individual augmentation and the now-standard 20% "cap", but there are certainly no tasks for Reserve units beyond force generating the Reserve Combined Arms Team and company groups for training purposes mentioned in this year's operating plans.

There's a poster out that tries (somewhat successfully) to explain all this - have a look for it.

Cannon Fodder said:
Bonjour tout le monde

I heard that the Loyal Eddies are tasked to send a platoon to Afghanistan and that this will occure in all Res Units accross the CF.   Does anyone know more about this program and how I, in a armoured unit, can get a piece of it?

I think the message you heard was garbled.  For the past two Op Athena rotos a Reserve platoon has gone over to provide Force Protection at Camp Mirage. I've been told that some of them have rotated through a stint at Camp Julien as well.  The first D&S platoon was drawn from LFWA units, the current is drawn from LFCA units.

As stated by Teddy Ruxpin, the potential exists for more similar deployments, based on the Army's personnel needs.  I think the Army is starting to realize that deploying Reservists in greater numbers on low to medium risk missions is a great way to allow the Reg F the time they need to rest, recruit, train and regroup for more Roto zero's.

For the past two Op Athena rotos a Reserve platoon has gone over to provide Force Protection at Camp Mirage. I've been told that some of them have rotated through a stint at Camp Julien as well.  The first D&S platoon was drawn from LFWA units, the current is drawn from LFCA units.

This is correct.  38 CBG force generated the D&S Platoon at Mirage for Roto 2.  The Platoon was rotated (by section) through Julien.  Force generation was not, however, assigned to a single unit.

Cheers,

TR

After growing up and watching cartoons for all these years

Its so hard to take military advice from a guy named Teddy Ruxpin

No offence.. I know you know your stuff.  I just get a good laugh out of it. 
We just need a Papa Smurf and a Strawberry Shortcake giving tactics in a thread
and I can die knowing my life is complete.  ;)

Trinity said:

You don't seem to have any problem taking advice from a Sheep entreé  ;D

1 VP was told they will take 18  R031's/coy  on TF 1/06 OP Archer...

I've never heard of this "Teddy Ruxpin" until I saw it here and googled it just now. Must be some old army thing....

MasterPrivate said:
What is Op Archer?

TF 1/06  ;D

Apparently currently it only the ETT pers (who are now have a different name).

It looks like the name we are giving to non OP Athena CF presence in Afghan (I.E. US attached...)

Exactly right.  Everyone currently belongs to TFK.  However, Archer gets different medals (SWASM vice the GCS) and work for the US-led coalition.

KevinB said:
1 VP was told they will take 18   R031's/coy   on TF 1/06 OP Archer...

This might have an "up to" caveat on it.

I could have used Ninjadeathcommando...  Wonder what my credibilty would be like then!? ;D  As it is, I rather like being an older talking bear.  Besides, I'm MUCH meaner now than in the Eighties...check my pic!  :threat:

Back