• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist Training

Kamikaze1655

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright, I have two questions regarding training for the reserves:

1. Do reservists get to train abroad and take part in international exercises?
2. Can reservists specialize in their occupation? (i.e Infantry- Pathfinder, Eryx Gunner)

Sure.  Stuff like open positions on the course, justification for getting the qualification, budgets, meeting physical requirements.

Example, you mentioned Patrol Pathfinder.  What requirement is there for a PRes unit to hold this capability?  If someone did go and get the qual, how much skillset fade would there be after 6 months?  3 years? 

All of these qualifications take time to get.  Time = money.  Most PRes units have a certain budget that barely allows for minimum trg of their MOC skillsets let alone advanced quals.

Lastly, it takes time to build up skills in PRes units.  Why?  Most PRes units train 1 night a week, and 1 weekend a month from Sept to May.  Add up those hours and it isn't a lot compared to a Reg Force mbr.  Holding basic skills to 'useable levels' is a challenge in its own.

Kamikaze1655 said:
Alright, I have two questions regarding training for the reserves:

1. Do reservists get to train abroad and take part in international exercises?
2. Can reservists specialize in their occupation? (i.e Infantry- Pathfinder, Eryx Gunner)

Yes, these kinds of things happen. That does not mean that they happen regularly, or that they happen for every Reserve unit, or that the right timing and opportunities would be highly likely to line up for any single individual. Don't plan to join on the basis of low probability events, plan to join to do the common training events and consider yourself lucky if something like this happens.

Hello I am searching for training info leading to Infantry Soldier in the Reserves. Specifically I am interested in basic qualifications leading to additional work. Driver details, etc. Thank you.

B38890 said:
Hello I am searching for training info leading to Infantry Soldier in the Reserves. Specifically I am interested in basic qualifications leading to additional work. Driver details, etc. Thank you.

As a reservist the driver wheeled course is definitely one way to make yourself more employable. However, doing your leadership course once you are ready to do so is another way of opening up employment opportunities for yourself.

Thank you for your quick reply. I know of only one particular detail in the Reserves. Driver's are needed to taxi top ranking Officers to and from bases. I was wondering if anyone knows of more common work and any needed qualifications? Leadership/section command courses I would assume may lead to instruction on courses...I realize I am looking towards the future after I obtain my basic qualifications.

B38890 said:
Thank you for your quick reply. I know of only one particular detail in the Reserves. Driver's are needed to taxi top ranking Officers to and from bases. I was wondering if anyone knows of more common work and any needed qualifications? Leadership/section command courses I would assume may lead to instruction on courses...I realize I am looking towards the future after I obtain my basic qualifications.

Drivers are more commonly used for logistical support or for troop lift. Driving officers about isn't that common a task for reservists. There are always seems to be a need for driver qualified personnel especially those qualified troop lift or dangerous goods.

B38890 said:

Who are you talking to?  Someone has been filling you full of that bovine scatology that one hears about.

I know for a fact that with the Grey and Simcoe Foresters, there are details driving some of the top brass to and from meetings, etc. I do believe this would not happen very routinely. Logistics I would assume would demand a lot of man power. My point in asking is to acquire info on available work as a reservist. I am hoping to be able to pick up"extra" hours above the minimum required. Thanks for the info.

B38890 said:
I know for a fact that with the Grey and Simcoe Foresters, there are details driving some of the top brass to and from meetings, etc. I do believe this would not happen very routinely. Logistics I would assume would demand a lot of man power. My point in asking is to acquire info on available work as a reservist. I am hoping to be able to pick up"extra" hours above the minimum required. Thanks for the info.

:facepalm:

Besides courses, driving details, etc. How hard is it to "pickup" additional hours as a reservist?

B38890 said:
Besides courses, driving details, etc. How hard is it to "pickup" additional hours as a reservist?

Well other than getting yourself on a full time contract which is referred to as class B employment, as a reservist you're not allowed to work more than 16 class A days in a month unless special permission is granted. There can be additional employment opportunities at the unit level but that comes down to the budget available, and the need to employ more personnel.

As I said before if you've got additional quals such as driver or leadership you make yourself more employable.

B38890 said:

Groovy.  All posted here many times over.

SEARCH. 

X_para76 said:
Well other than getting yourself on a full time contract which is referred to as class B employment, as a reservist you're not allowed to work more than 16 class A days in a month unless special permission is granted.

12 Actually, anything over than that is supposed to be Class B...

Thank you...I will speak with my unit and see what opportunities are available. It would be ideal to pick up additional work when my main source of income slows. Does anyone have experience picking up additional work or instructing over the summer at Meadford?

Back