• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves with firefighting

taylorwagner221

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question. Is it possible to be a full time firefighter plus be In the reserves? Full time firefighters have quite a bit of time off so I know I could schedule it to work but is there rules that say you cant or protocols that contradict with eachother as they are both emergency service jobs? Thanks

There's plenty of firefighters, paramedics and police officers in the Reserves.

We have two firefighters in my unit, one of them in a quite senior position in the unit. It's doable.

taylorwagner221 said:
Full time firefighters have quite a bit of time off so I know I could schedule it to work

Regarding scheduling conflicts.

Depending on the city you work for, they should not be a major inconvenience. 

For example, TFS permits thirty (30) duty exchanges in any calendar year. For any reason.

That may not sound like a lot, but when you consider they work 24-hour tours, not many exchanges should be required.

It sounds like you intend to join the Reserves prior to becoming a career Firefighter? If so, you may have your BMQ and ( at least some of ) your trade training completed before hiring on the job.

The City also has a Military Leave Policy.

taylorwagner221 said:
but is there rules that say you cant or protocols that contradict with eachother as they are both emergency service jobs?

As others mentioned, no problem for career Firefighters being members of the Reserves ( or any other secondary job, other than Emergency Services ).

Article XV, Section 3 of the IAFF Constitution: “Any member of the Association found working a secondary job as a paid-on-call firefighter or an employee of a public employer, nonprofit corporation, or a private contracting firm providing fire protection or emergency medical services to a city, county, municipality, or a fire protection district as a volunteer, reserve, part-time, part-paid, police officer, police reserve, or public safety officer may be subject to charges being filed against that member”

Halifax Fire had one of their dudes deploy to Afghanistan a few years back, and there might have been more.

http://www.halifax.ca/mediaroom/pressrelease/pr2009/090416FirefighterBastowreturnsfromAfghanistan.html

Vancouver fire has hadnumerous people deploy to Afghanistan/Bosnia.
Richmond fire has had people do basic in the last few years with no problems and have high ranking members within the reserves.

With a career in Emergency Services it is much easier to maintain a PRes career, if the soldier has managed to undertake a lot of his PRes training before they establish the civilian side.

The majority of those in Emergency Services that are successfull in the PRes (Including both RSM's of the 2 LMD Infantry Regiments and the Bde Comd in 39 CBG) all took as much of their training up to their ISCC/PLQ and ILP levels for NCO's and finished phase training for officers before they joined their Emergency Services job.

I had a buddy at my job who joined the PRes after being in the RCMP for 7 years. While he thoroughly enjoyed the PRes and his BMQ the time committment was too much and he couldn't see getting 4 weeks every consecutive summer for 2 years off to go away and take his SQ and BIQ....so he had to quit.

So realistically get as much training with the PRes out of the way before you get on with whatever service you go for, as it will be way easier in the long run.

Noneck

Back