• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Co-op enrollment 2014-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I‘m the same way. My mother was an MP, and my father used to be a mechanic (now a Chief Warent officer) and my brother is now an AVS tech. Growing up on bases and seeing alot of stuff normal kids don‘t really get to see has really pushed me to have a carrer in the military. As soon as I heard about the Co-op program I jumped at the oppurtunity, and even if the didn‘t pay me I would still be there for the experience, and knowledge i‘m going to gain. You never know. i might just take the summer program and learn a trade. My choice would either be Infantry or mechanic...any thoughts on those two would be a great help.

Hey, I was formally in the Militia. Two years ago I trained in the reserves through the "co-op" program while still getting paid while earning 2 credits at the same time. It was the only semester the co-op program existed on the province because they felt it wasn‘t fair to the rest of the co-op students employed with other jobs who earned only the 2 credits.
A lot of fun though! and good luck with it.

I will be doing my Co-Op with the Lincoln and Welland Regiment next year, I am currently with the Lincoln and Welland cadet corps but I am to young for the co-op. I will be doing the co-op to get a better understanding of the military because I want to go reg force when I am older.

your to young for Co-op but your a cadet warent officer?

now at my school were chosing courses for next year and i want to do Militia Co-op. My local regiment stoped the co-op program (the ONTR) and im curious what regiments are doing it eltswhere like in toronto. somone was saying they were in in can you pass some info along.

Thanks a lot

Alex

Oh look. More threads for the recruiting forum.

Hello, I plan on doing the militia Co-Op through school next year and I was wondering how much you get paid. Just so you are wondering I am not doing it for the money, I just want to know if I am going to need another job or not.

Considering you DO the placement. You won‘t be wanting another job, period.

its roughly $70.00 a day (standard pay for reservist Pte.). You‘ll make a decent amount of money, but trust me..you‘ll forget about the money the second you get into the course. Im doing my BMQ/SQ through co-op right now.

when i did my Co-op the only times we got paid were during the Exercises..
so the 5 day range week, and the 10 day FTX were all we got money for.

the rest of the time, it counted as school and thus.. no pay.

if you have the energy to get a part time job, go for it.. but you‘ll probbably be too tired.

Im doing the Co-op program right now (just got back from my BMQ ftx). At the end of the program you will have made about $3300.00 . I make $35.31 every half day, and something like $73.35 every full day.

Hello,

I'm new here. I am interested in joining the Army reserve, and I am returning to high school after this summer in September for a few credits. I am aware that an Army Reserve Co-Op is available, but I am not too familiar with the recruiting process or the co-op if it differs much.

I do believe that the Co-Op requires going to the local armoury from tues-fri during 1pm-5pm or so. As I understand, we need to travel to one of the bases for 10 weeks to receive basic training, but is that different through a co-op?

Any words of experience or knowledge on co-ops would be appreciated. I will consult a student counsellor about this option when they are working a few weeks before school starts. As for now, I am unsure if its a viable choice.

Thanks,
Tyler W.

I completed basic at the Oshawa Armories Mon-friday from 0800-1600. From January to End of the school year. I think now they are on half days or something and they do your basic daily from 1300 to 1700. But ask your guidance counciler, they should have the most info. I do know your application process is a little more organized than in a recruiting center, only because the school has a hand in it.But if you can do it, do it.

The recruiting process is not any different from that of someone joining the reserves. 

You should also go and talk to your local Recruiters now, either (or both) at the Recruiting Centre and your local Reserve unit, to ask about the Co-op program. They may already know what Co-op programs are being planned, as well they can advise you on the recruiting process. You'll note from the forums here that many applicants have long waits getting everything processed, you could even start now, ensuring they know your interest is in being ready for the Co-op program. If you wait too long before starting the application process, any hold-up could prevent you from participating.

Thanks for the info. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario (along Lake Superior). I searched up info on the Armoury here online, and found the "18 Service Battalion" of the 38 Canadian Brigade. There is a number in there, "1-866-GO-2-ARMY" which seems generic for all battalions of this brigade.

I also found a site for the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment, which is strictly infantry (I'm hoping that isn't my only option in this city). I didn't find the phone number in the phone book, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place.

As a side note, it seems the Co-Op program will occur during the second semester of this coming school year, and registration is suppose to be in before Dec 1 to be eligible. It would probably be faster to apply on my own, but then there isn't the benefit of the two school credits -- which I don't consider terribly necessary anyhow.

When considering taking BMQ as a Co-op option, keep in mind your own long term plans. Would those credits be better used as academic credits? You can always take the BMQ on weekends with the local unit without replacing academic credits on your diploma. The Co-op may appear to be an easy way to join the reserves, and to avoid sitting in school classes during that semester, but much of the BMQ includes classroom time and testing too, and it's the academic credits you achieve now that will dictate what future programs for futher education or training may be open to you.

I am 15 years old i am going into grade 10 in september and i want to know some things.. i looked up the Military co op and i found out it is 4 credits and it is full day al 2nd semester... somewhere along the line i have been told different things... for one i was told it is payed and it isnt payed and also i was told it counts as BMQ and also there are other things... but i will leave you to answer those first.

Thanx in advance for info.

Another Question.  Is there a difference between Army reserve Co-op and Military co-op? i figure they're the same but i dont know. Anyone able to tell me?

logos said:
As a side note, it seems the Co-Op program will occur during the second semester of this coming school year, and registration is suppose to be in before Dec 1 to be eligible. It would probably be faster to apply on my own, but then there isn't the benefit of the two school credits -- which I don't consider terribly necessary anyhow.

I can answer any questions you have with regard to the Co-op program in Thunder Bay, but your best bet is to start with a call to the Provincial Recruiter at 343-5179.

You have several options with regard to unit- we have three 38 Brigade units (LSSR, 18 Service Battalion, and 18 Field Ambulance), plus 736 Comms. We have even had a few Navy candidates take the BMQ portion of the Co-op.  Trades open to you include infantry, mobile support equipment operator, supply technician, vehicle mechanic, weapons tech, medical assistant, signals operator, etc. The recruiter has a wealth of information on the units and trades available.

The Co-op runs Tuesday to Friday, from 1300 to 1800, February through mid-June. There are also two trips to CFB Shilo (one for each of the BMQ and SQ portions) for weapons ranges, and a five day period in May in the field.

We have a close working relationship with both school boards, and guidance counsellors make frequent visits to the course. You will be responsible for turning in weekly reports to them, and periodic assessments generated by course staff are forwarded to them to assist in evaluating you for the two credits.

Please don't hesitate to ask further questions, or to contact the Provincial Recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back