• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve BMOQ

Flames2557

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I got accepted as a cadet officer in the reserves and I have a few questions regarding BMOQ. They told me that I will do my Basic during the winter months and is the equivalent of twenty days or something along those lines. But then they told me they will be sending me to leadership training or BMOQ in the summer months for fourteen months. While I'm at BMOQ during the summer am I allowed a laptop to do school work and do online courses and such? Thanks.

Flames2557 said:
Hi,

I got accepted as a cadet officer in the reserves and I have a few questions regarding BMOQ. They told me that I will do my Basic during the winter months and is the equivalent of twenty days or something along those lines. But then they told me they will be sending me to leadership training or BMOQ in the summer months for fourteen months. While I'm at BMOQ during the summer am I allowed a laptop to do school work and do online courses and such? Thanks.

I imagine you won't have that much time to do an online course. As a reservist my self that is something I've never tried and wouldn't really recommend to anyone. Assuming you get your weekends the last thing you will want to do is study whatever course you are taking.

Now I've never done any officer courses but I have seen people bring laptops on BMQ, BMQ-L, DVR WHL and  ACISS DP1. It was never really a problem for us as long as it wasn't out during work hours. However on BMQ and BMQ-L only time you'd get to use them is on the weekend. That being said I know a guy who's course WO enforced a no electronics policy on a DP1 but the crse staff didn't force it to heavily.

You should be able to bring your laptop to your courses but if you have any limitations it should be noted in the JI's (Joining Instructions) which hopefully you will get before the course starts >:D . Have you talked to anyone about doing a course part time during a BMOQ? I wouldn't recommend it all, but if it was a bird course that you didn't need to do anything then maybe you could, but I still wouldn't advise it.

YMV

Flames2557 said:
Hi,

As someone who has done BMOQ through St Jean - you will not have any time to commit to secondary tasks in general.  The first 5 weeks will be 24/7, and even afterward you will find most of your free time taken with course duties.  If they are portioning out your BMOQ into a soldier element (your winter months) then sending you to St Jean for just the leadership elements you will have additional freedoms, but I'd still advise against exepecting to do schoolwork.  I can only speak to the INF O path - but even considering trying to do additional work outside of the demands of coursework is entertaining to say the least.  Your selected trade may be less demanding - and your milage may vary.

Back