• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Requirements to be more competitive for Reserves Infantry.

cemalyukselir

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright guys, I really need an answer for this. I had an application for Reserves Infantry which now is CLOSED..i did the CFAT back in June but i was told that i was not qualified for the trade i have chosen. I re applied back in Second Week of September , My new file manager was kind of surprised that i wasn't qualified. He said it himself that its  Infantry RESERVES and they shouldn't have been so picky like that but anyway..so he told me that he will be taking a look at my file and will get back to me in a week, i spoke to him few days ago. When i was filling out my application i noted that I have two courses left to finish to get my high school diploma which i will be doing as soon as the teacher at the Collage gets back to me. He told me that he will be closing the file and than i can re apply once i get those two courses done and have my diploma. Now WHEN I first applied and passed all the Background Security check and so on , my CFAT was booked. Nothing like this came in the way..Can anybody tell me Why this happened now but not back in April when i first applied?

cemalyukselir said:
..i did the CFAT back in June but i was told that i was not qualified for the trade i have chosen............ My new file manager was kind of surprised that i wasn't qualified. He said it himself that its  Infantry RESERVES and they shouldn't have been so picky like that

Did you not score high enough on the CFAT for Infantry?  If so,  it isn't anyone being "picky",  you have to score high enough on the CFAT for the trade you want.  Same requirements for both Reg Force and Reserve.

The reason not finishing high school may be an issue now(and not the first time) is because you failed your first CFAT.  Maybe they want to see that you have improved your education before allowing a rewrite?  Or perhaps there are no openings anymore and that is why your file was closed.

I am a reserve infantry recruiter. It is not really a matter of 'more competitive', as we send people on a first come first served basis into the recruiting centre, and take them first come first served out of it when they're through the process and ready to be enrolled against a vacant position.

From the outset, a reserve unit either decides that you are in the broadest sense 'suitable' for the unit or not- we're pretty much limited to that for 'are you available for training / do you know a blasted thing about the trade?'

From there, we give a letter that sends you to the CFRC. The steps in order are CFAT, Interview and medical (often the same day), and if both of those are good, the medical. There is also a criminal record name check and a security screening for enhanced reliability status.

The CFAT sounds like your hangup. It is either a passing score or it is not. It's not 'being picky'. If you cannot achieve a passing score on it, you need to step back, hold off for a year, REALLY work at getting your cognitive skills up to speed, and take another stab at it. You won't be given unlimited chances.

Your file manager at the recruiting centre makes zero decisions and has no power over your success or failure. He is merely an administrative coordinator. This isn't to denigrate what he does, it's simply stating fact based on my experience with the file managers who handle the files for my applicants.

If the file manager is telling you that your file in being closed until you have your diploma, one of two three things is the case:

1) He is using the 'until you finish your diploma' to fob you off as you have simply and bluntly failed your CFAT. It is very unlikely that he's not being forthcoming with you.

2) Your file manager is confused about something someone more senior told him about why your file is closing.

3) The recruiting centre- which IS in a position to assess competitiveness - has enough high school graduates applying for positions that they are able to apply merit criteria. This is speculation on my part, because wher eI am I have not seen CFRC file managers do this for the reserves.

It sounds like you've done the CFAT twice now and failed both times. Is that correct?

I only did the test Once. I really don't know I left him a message hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow and I can have an clear  answer from him.

They probably have simply filled all their positions for the year and told the file manager that any remaining files will close, with candidates to try again in April. That's the position I'm in with my files.

DO NOT be in too much of a rush to repeat your CFAT. Take the time to improve your vocabulary and math skills. Work on some spatial orientation problems. Mr Brihard is correct - there's very few, if any positions open in the infantry. If you didn't score high enough, then that's the only thing you need to concentrate on now. Here's a good link to get you started:

How to pass graduate aptitude tests

Back