• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Renting of CFB Borden

2ndtime

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the military renting out space for private security firms to do training?

mac1 said:
Has anyone heard of the military renting out space for private security firms to do training?

Nope.  Where did you hear it?
(and, I'd be curious under what part of the CF Provision Of Services instruction it would fall ...)

Renting of DND facilities happens on a regular basis, including Ranges, Armories, and other facilities.  In the mid 70's they filmed part of movie in CFB Borden when I was stationed there and used the University type OCdt's doing their summer training there as extras.

Riobeard said:
Renting of DND facilities happens on a regular basis, ...

Yes, however the Provision Of Services instruction states that the rental of CF property should not "compete" with similar civilian commercial facilities - thus, in the context of private security firms ... I'm a tad dubious ...

Nevertheless, thanks for some concrete examples of precedents.

Bruce Nuclear Security trains in Meaford, so I'd think they might also do some range work in Borden.

Ontario corrections used to use Borden but we have gone to Meaford for the last 5 or 6 years.

When I was there a year and a bit ago,the RCMP/OPP ERT teams used the ranges for practice and other facilities for lecture training.Also,anti-terrorism driving courses would routinely use the runway for training.

Riobeard said:
Renting of DND facilities happens on a regular basis, including Ranges, Armories, and other facilities.  In the mid 70's they filmed part of movie in CFB Borden when I was stationed there and used the University type OCdt's doing their summer training there as extras.

That's kind of neat? Was it a B movie or an actual decent in theatre movie?!?!

Do you remember the name of it? I'm always curious to see Canadian films.

Pte (R) Joe said:
That's kind of neat? Was it a B movie or an actual decent in theatre movie?!?!

Do you remember the name of it? I'm always curious to see Canadian films.

It was a movie about a Coup in Canada.  It had Christopher Plummer as one of the main characters.  One of my old Warrants was his stand in as a Centurion Tank Commander.  It also, had scenes filmed in Lahr with VanDoos kicking in doors in downtown Lahr.

I forget the name of the film, but it was one of those typical 'Canadian' films of the day.

George Wallace said:
It was a movie about a Coup in Canada.   It had Christopher Plummer as one of the main characters.   One of my old Warrants was his stand in as a Centurion Tank Commander.   It also, had scenes filmed in Lahr with VanDoos kicking in doors in downtown Lahr.

I forget the name of the film, but it was one of those typical 'Canadian' films of the day.
State of Shock, aka Power Play  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078105/.   IIRC, some of the outdoor scenes looked like Bonnland, the Hammelburg FIBUA training "town".

I believe the title of the film was Coup d'etat.  I remember them painting a bunch of buildings an off brown colour so they would show up white or something on the film, and they had several APC's that they ran around one of the old H huts over and over.  In the movie it looks like a huge army pouring out of the barracks and taking off when if act it was the same few OCdts, APC's and jeeps going in circles......ah the magic of Hollywood.

Horse_Soldier said:
State of Shock, aka Power Play http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078105/.  IIRC, some of the outdoor scenes looked like Bonnland, the Hammelburg FIBUA training "town".

Ah Yes!  "Power Play", was the name I remember it as, but it may have been called something else also.  Movies have been know to be released under different titles in different continents.  The outdoor scenes in the beginning of the movie are very familiar streets to those who lived in Lahr. 

I believe they also filmed the opening scenes of Jack Nicholson's Last Detail in Borden.  (Early 70's)  They used the barracks near CFSAOE and dressed them up as offices to look like a US naval base.

Foxhound said:
I believe they also filmed the opening scenes of Jack Nicholson's Last Detail in Borden.   (Early 70's)   They used the barracks near CFSAOE and dressed them up as offices to look like a US naval base.

a couple years ago they made the entrance of borden look like a US Base with the 101st "Screaming eagle" symbols going down the road,,,

"A" Sqn RCD, and their Cents, were the Armoured stars of Coup d'etat. We filmed that portion in Lahr. It took us a month to get the gold star off Dick Kitcher's locker. ;D

hmm renting Borden.....

Finally my plan to be base commander of that God forsaken chunk of Canadian soil can be a reality....

ahhh the ideas.

tess

recceguy said:
"A" Sqn RCD, and their Cents, were the Armoured stars of Coup d'etat. We filmed that portion in Lahr. It took us a month to get the gold star off Dick Kitcher's locker. ;D

He was Peter O'Toole's stand in as CC of the Cent.

Meridian said:
I must be blind, but I dont see Chris Plummer's name on that cast list...

So I have had too many meals out of aluminum mess tins and confused him in my memories from twenty plus years ago with Peter O'Toole.   I still remember Gina Lolabrigitta and Ursala Undress I mean Andreas.  Rock Stars like Nena, Nina Haggen, and not to be confused with Nana Miscorre.  Of course I can't spell their names....too much aluminium you know..... :o

Back