• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remission of Charges” for Single Quarters and Rations

Son completed BMQ and I saw his stubs and he was charged;
SINGLE QUARTERS 112.58
RATIONS 641.09 per month.

I thought the same. It was to be a slight of hand out and in deduction as a taxable benefit.

R&Q I paid the going rate at Toronto when on Class B, and it was a deal all I could eat food and roof over my head. I looked at apartment costs and I was not going to get away with the same rates.

as for a family of 3, I have 3 kids 11,11 and soon to be 13. I have them 1 day a week, 2 weekends a month and 2 school lunches.

i cannot feed them and me on 641 a month. Unless I feed them pasta every and sauce every day.

Without the pay stub I cannot confirm if it reads right but yes remit is supposed to happen per below. You should see his pay plus R&Q on his stub.

Effective January 1, 2023, the charges for rations and single quarters will be remitted for members not yet met OFP in their initial Developmental Period 1 (DP1). OFP is the point at which a member has achieved the qualification requirements for first employment in an occupation and is posted off the Basic Training List (BTL) or Subsidized University Training List (SUTL) to a Trained Effective Strength (TES) position. For many/most trades this is completion of their trade training, or phase training.

Members residing in accommodations while attending one of the CAF’s Royal Military Colleges will not qualify for this remit, as their College accommodations are deemed their principal residences.

While monthly payment for rations and single quarters will be remitted for CAF members meeting the above criteria, the Canada Revenue Agency requires that the provision of free “room and board” be a taxable benefit; therefore members will see this on their monthly pay statement and annual T-4.

Added: Just found this that should help. If he does not see this then he needs to talk to the pay staff.

Q2. How will this remit appear on my pay statement?
A2. As this is a remittance, the monthly charge for your R&Q will be deducted from your pay at the beginning of every month, and then remitted to you in the following month

Last edited:
That's ridiculous. My family of three doesn't eat that much in a month.
We are 2 and spend at least that much a month if not more. Where are you shopping for less? We don’t eat pre packaged meals or junk food.

Right so as non-hunters, I guess I'll stick to my current budget. No Costco (2 hours away), and I feel sketchy buying groceries from the GT here.

Back