• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the RMC website it says, "Successful candidates have maintained a high average over the last three years of secondary school studies".   I am wondering if anyone knows, if they consider your grade ten marks equally with your grade 11 marks, or do they care about your grade eleven marks more.   The reason I ask is that I did not have great marks in grade 10 (ie. 73%). I am getting about 85% in grade eleven though. Also, does anyone know how much your grades are worth, compared to your extra curricular activities and leadership training?

When, I joined (and was accepted for RRMC), the extra-circular and sports part of your file could make or break you.  In those days, you needed to show that you were well-rounded (RMC is not just about the academics, it also sports and military training heavy).  My guess is that things haven't changed much (20 years later!).  You can't go back in time and change your past marks, therefore, don't sweat them.  During the interview, you will probably get asked about it.  Be ready to answer why your marks got better. Make sure that you do well in your current classes and that you have a life outside of schoolwork (ie, job, community service and sports) to show that you are a complete package for the CF to want to hire you.

Good luck.

Well, what im considering is one or two years of university and then apply to RMC. My grade point average in grade 11 was quite poor (74%). My grade 12 grade point average is around 84%, but since RMC looks at both grade 11 and 12 (and maby even grade 10) I dont think I am a competative candidate. If i join the reserves while in university and volunteer more, then my chances at being a competative candidate are far higher.

Canuck_25, don't get down on yourself because of "only" an 84% average. I was in the same boat as you two years ago and here I am at RMC. As long as you present yourself as a very well rounded candidate, you give yourself a good shot of getting in. As for the negativity I've been seeing in here towards RMC cadets, sure there as cocky pricks here, but where aren't there people like that? Look at the big picture, not just individuals who give us all a bad name.

Big Foot said:
Canuck_25, don't get down on yourself because of "only" an 84% average. I was in the same boat as you two years ago and here I am at RMC. As long as you present yourself as a very well rounded candidate, you give yourself a good shot of getting in. As for the negativity I've been seeing in here towards RMC cadets, sure there as cocky pricks here, but where aren't there people like that? Look at the big picture, not just individuals who give us all a bad name.

Did i mention in not taking Math 12 either?

My course load this year of academics are:

History 12
English 12
English literature 12
Comparative civ 12
Law 12
chemistry 12

Now, since i do not have math 12, thats another arrow in my back, but there is always upgrading in college or university.

I applied to RMC last year with 76% average in grade 12 and 11. I made it on to the merit list. My recruiter told me that my sports background(played everything in high school), volunteering experience(I did everything possible in high school and my community), air cadets, and my work experience(have been working since I was 12) made me an excellent candidate, he said all of the above would of almost guarantee a spot at RMC but for my low mark. The captain believes that if I would of had an 80% average I would made it. So what I am trying to say is even with a low 80, if your a very well rounded person you still have a chance at RMC. So don't just strive for a high mark but try to be well rounded, who has leadership abilities. (It should work at least if your going for combat trade)

A few questions here, guys:
-What do you mean by "the merit list", you didn't make it?-
-Is RMC gonna look at my Gr. 10 average (cuz it's pretty bad - 77% :crybaby:)
-I did over 80 community hours, is it enough to be considered "active in the community" or do I need to do more?
-What average I need to get in Gr.11 and 12 in order to be "competitive"

Salute :salute:

beyondsblue said:
A few questions here, guys:
-What do you mean by "the merit list", you didn't make it?-
-Is RMC gonna look at my Gr. 10 average (cuz it's pretty bad - 77% :crybaby:)
-I did over 80 community hours, is it enough to be considered "active in the community" or do I need to do more?
-What average I need to get in Gr.11 and 12 in order to be "competitive"

Salute :salute:
77% is not bad. I would consentrate on grade 11 and 12, those grades are critical.

Hey, in grade 10 i recieved 74%, so dont feel bad.

When looking at RMC, don't forget there is one more option if you are deemed a good candidate, that being prep year in St-Jean. Prep year is a very good option, if it is offered to you, as it helps you get used to military life and to the rigours of post-secondary education. So don't worry, even if your marks are in the mid to low 70s, if you are what they are looking for, you may just get juniour applicant.

Does anybody know how many people across Canada applies for RMC every year?
Approximately?

Approximately?

beyondsblue said:
Approximately?

I was told 5000 applicants, and only 300 get accepted every year.

Now come to think about it how many are accepted to Saint Jean, because they say many candidates are weeded out during that period?

Hi.. Didn't read all the thread... just the initial questions. If it has already been answered, my apologies.

1) If you already have some university, RMC is a waste of time.
- RMC RARELY IF EVER accepts 2nd year students. The nature of the college requires everyone to start from the beginning.

2) Based on that, id go ROTP CIv if you want subsidization and dont want to lose all the credits youve worked hard for. They wont coutn otherwise, so either finish a degree and go DEO, go ROTP Civ, or give up the credits.

3) I did 1 year of the ROTP Jr. Program, +IAP/BOTP.  Did not actually end up in RMC for a variety of reasons, mostly belonging to the fact that I didn't like the premise anymore, and didn't want to waste more of the army's money.
I spent a year in ST Jean with the "Cream of the crop" of high school class presidents, sports stars and other people who have proven to be leaders somehow.

Recall that basically ROTP demands that you sell yourself. Which is great. But they are asking this of 17 year olds, in most cases. So you are talking about people who have won the popularity contest in high school, for the most part... there are exceptions - I was one, as were some of my friends, but still...

A friend of mine is a 2nd year, and I chat with him on msn from time to time. But he has little time to do so........  Im a full time university student, (2nd year) with 5 courses. 4 of those have exams....  He has 7 exams, 7 academic courses, PT, Sports, (seperate), French and Military Training, plus inspections, de rigeur mil prep, (polishing, cleaning, etc) .....  and we will end up with equivalent degrees in the end.

That said, RMC is a family atmosphere. Dysfunctional, but family.
It is built to make leaders. Does it mess up sometimes? Yes. But so does the NCO structure sometimes :)
The benefits to RMC do exist, and are somewhat influential....  having an "old boys club" to refer to when you want to leave and get that civvy job is great, especially when your entire network is military people. 
There is also a certain personal pride in going to the Country's Military Academy and graduating, with honours, with a degree, in a program that is much harder to accomplish than Civvy U.

Plus, excluding the hats, the scarlets are generally applauded by all the young men for their skills with the women.

And Im going to get hit for this.. when I was writing a paper on military spending, I asked my friend for advice.. he said: "Ask for more beer money; anything to make the girls here look better".

No offence to any of the RMC girls around. :)

Meridian said:
Hi.. Didn't read all the thread... just the initial questions. If it has already been answered, my apologies.

1) If you already have some university, RMC is a waste of time.
- RMC RARELY IF EVER accepts 2nd year students. The nature of the college requires everyone to start from the beginning.

2) Based on that, id go ROTP CIv if you want subsidization and dont want to lose all the credits youve worked hard for. They wont coutn otherwise, so either finish a degree and go DEO, go ROTP Civ, or give up the credits.

3) I did 1 year of the ROTP Jr. Program, +IAP/BOTP.    Did not actually end up in RMC for a variety of reasons, mostly belonging to the fact that I didn't like the premise anymore, and didn't want to waste more of the army's money.
I spent a year in ST Jean with the "Cream of the crop" of high school class presidents, sports stars and other people who have proven to be leaders somehow.

Recall that basically ROTP demands that you sell yourself. Which is great. But they are asking this of 17 year olds, in most cases. So you are talking about people who have won the popularity contest in high school, for the most part... there are exceptions - I was one, as were some of my friends, but still...

A friend of mine is a 2nd year, and I chat with him on msn from time to time. But he has little time to do so........    Im a full time university student, (2nd year) with 5 courses. 4 of those have exams....   He has 7 exams, 7 academic courses, PT, Sports, (seperate), French and Military Training, plus inspections, de rigeur mil prep, (polishing, cleaning, etc) .....   and we will end up with equivalent degrees in the end.

That said, RMC is a family atmosphere. Dysfunctional, but family.
It is built to make leaders. Does it mess up sometimes? Yes. But so does the NCO structure sometimes :)
The benefits to RMC do exist, and are somewhat influential....   having an "old boys club" to refer to when you want to leave and get that civvy job is great, especially when your entire network is military people.    
There is also a certain personal pride in going to the Country's Military Academy and graduating, with honours, with a degree, in a program that is much harder to accomplish than Civvy U.

Plus, excluding the hats, the scarlets are generally applauded by all the young men for their skills with the women.

And Im going to get hit for this.. when I was writing a paper on military spending, I asked my friend for advice.. he said: "Ask for more beer money; anything to make the girls here look better".

No offence to any of the RMC girls around. :)

I was told that University students could apply to RMC first or second year, and have a good chance of getting in. My plan is to join the reserves in my first year of UNI to gain some solid experience and to see if im weel suited to military life. From what i know of myself so far, I think id make a good officer. I loved the 5 day RCMP camp i went to (that invloved getting up at 5 AM, 4 hours of marching a day, training, polishing boots and ironing clothes, tests, homework, and when the day ends, your dead tired by 11 PM.) I loved that camp, far better than my life at home (i dont want to get into that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back