• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. or a bit later. Last year ROTP thread shows that the first offers came mid-april, and they kept on coming for a couple of weeks after that.

So, just came back from the interview and although the captain who conducted it gave her recommendations, she advised me that my credit check and criminal record check were not yet processed due to a back log of files in Ottawa. She said that because of this I will not be merit listed.

But... BUT... since today is the deadline she went ahead and merit listed my file anyway! On condition of course that my credit and criminal background both check out positive (which they no doubt will)! She also mentioned that she is only doing this in my case because I have a very competitive file and it would be shameful to waste on a formality.  :D

O and... the numbers she gave me for Engineer Officer are pretty scary. According to the paper that she pulled out, they will only be hiring 15 EO's this year. 15! Good luck to everyone. :salute:

matthew1786 said:
So, just came back from the interview and although the captain who conducted it gave her recommendations, she advised me that my credit check and criminal record check were not yet processed due to a back log of files in Ottawa. She said that because of this I will not be merit listed.

But... BUT... since today is the deadline she went ahead and merit listed my file anyway! On condition of course that my credit and criminal background both check out positive (which they no doubt will)! She also mentioned that she is only doing this in my case because I have a very competitive file and it would be shameful to waste on a formality.  :D

O and... the numbers she gave me for Engineer Officer are pretty scary. According to the paper that she pulled out, they will only be hiring 15 EO's this year. 15! Good luck to everyone. :salute:

Congrats Matthew, seems like you just squeaked in there!

Had my enrolment today, officially a member of the CF now!

matthew1786 said:

Very nice Matthew
Hope all the best for you

And gratz again LOLslamball, I wish you a smooth run and all the best on obtaining your commission and beyond.

Hi guys,

I wish you the best for your offer ! It's now the waiting game for everybody ! For some of us ( I think all) it will be the longest weeks of our life until we discover if we are in or not !

Good luck we can't do anything more for our application right now, the decision is now in hands of people at the RMC.

Nick

A little update on 'chasing my dream'. First of all thanks for the replies. Not really looking for any advice, just posting this so I can look back on it in the future.

Last year I said that becoming a pilot was what I truly wanted to do. Well that was a load of bull. Almost a year later my goals have changed. Took some soul searching (that sounds corny), but I understand now that I didn't really wanna be a pilot, I just really wanted to be in the military. Being a pilot seemed cool which is why I wanted to do it. But like they say it's a calling. Not something you decide you wanna do after watching Top Gun.

Joining the army and being in one of the combat arms is more my thing. So I'm shooting for combat engineer. Going into the reserves as a NCM until I finish school then either go the officer route or continue as a NCM in the regs.

Guess you guys can close this thread now.

Top Gun is why I am a pilot.  8)

Congrats on finding what you really want though, doing what you want and not what you think you want to do is the key to it all.

Just keep it in your head that even if you are not accepted for the 2012-2013 ROTP it doesn't mean that you wont be accepted, ever. We have more years to spend getting more competitive and experienced.

Just keep it rolling.

Hello,

Great forum and resource for people like me. I am 39 year old currently in college and about to graduate a 2 year program in Social Service worker. My questions  revolve mainly around entry into the RMC. First am I too old to get accepted into this program through the ROTP? Secondly, I want to get my Social work degree and i do not believe the RMC offers this. does this mean I would go to a civilion university? I want to go this route as i believe it would be an honour to be in the Canadian military as well as serve the men and women in uniform. I will be doing my own research but any help anyone on here can give me would be greatly appreciated. If this posts twice i apologize as i think my first time did not work properly.

jb said:
Hello,

Great forum and resource for people like me. I am 39 year old currently in college and about to graduate a 2 year program in Social Service worker. My questions  revolve mainly around entry into the RMC. First am I too old to get accepted into this program through the ROTP? Secondly, I want to get my Social work degree and i do not believe the RMC offers this. does this mean I would go to a civilion university? I want to go this route as i believe it would be an honour to be in the Canadian military as well as serve the men and women in uniform. I will be doing my own research but any help anyone on here can give me would be greatly appreciated. If this posts twice i apologize as i think my first time did not work properly.
1.  You are not too old to be accepted into the ROTP/RMC.  As long as your fit and can perform the different tasks required of you, your age won't be a problem- in fact, it means you probably have a lot more life experience than others.
2. Psychology is offered at RMC if that interests you, but I don't believe social work is.  I don't even know offhand if Social Worker is a trade that accepts ROTP applicants because of the particular education you would require.  You would have to ask your local CFRC whether or not Social Work Officers even have the possibility of entering via ROTP.

One thing worth considering at your age is whether or not your prepared to live on the Officer Cadet salary (begins at 1487 monthly, according to current pay tables).  I don't know what your lifestyle or expenses are like, but that isn't a lot of money.

Good luck!

jb said:
Hello,

Great forum and resource for people like me. I am 39 year old currently in college and about to graduate a 2 year program in Social Service worker. My questions  revolve mainly around entry into the RMC. First am I too old to get accepted into this program through the ROTP? Secondly, I want to get my Social work degree and i do not believe the RMC offers this. does this mean I would go to a civilion university?

From the Forces website:  http://www.forces.ca/en/job/socialworkofficer-54#info-1

To be eligible for selection as a Social Work Officer, you need to possess a Bachelor's of Social Work (BSW) or a Master's of Social Work (MSW) degree. If you only have a BSW, the CF does subsidize the MSW for selected candidates and therefore, you will need proof that you are accepted without any condition in a MSW program, in an accredited social work school at a Canadian university (the accreditation is from the Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work).

F3m5h3p said:
Just keep it in your head that even if you are not accepted for the 2012-2013 ROTP it doesn't mean that you wont be accepted, ever. We have more years to spend getting more competitive and experienced.

Just keep it rolling.

Easy for you to say! This is my last (and first) chance for ROTP. If I don't make the cut, my last option will have to be DEO!  :blotto:

Been waiting for this for 4 years now.

It's weird going to bed at night going over the possibilities in my mind.

I'm excited to simply get an answer.

Do they usually just give applicants a call or an email? What is the procedure if one is established?

-Alex

I'm  not too worried if I don't get, I can just change my application to ncm.

Alex.Landry said:
Do they usually just give applicants a call or an email? What is the procedure if one is established?
This may or may not vary from one CFRC to another.  In Ottawa last year, I received a phone call with my offer.

My offer was given to me via phone call from my recruiting centre at New Westminster.

Alex.Landry said:

-Alex

Well, from what they told me at the CFRC Montreal, for the first round they call the candidates that are chosen, for the second round they send a letter.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back