• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
excerciseboy said:
Hey everyone. Sorry for cutting in, but has anyone read the McLean's guide to universities? About the Ranking of RMC with others, details and opinions from "outside" the circle of military guys. check it out and post for all to see. i haven't got my hands on it yet. 

RMC isn't, as far as I know, ranked in McLean's. We'd put all the civvie Us to shame and they'd cry like the little girls they're full of.

Piper said:
Also, sports was an area in which they were judged, and again they were ranked almost dead last. Just FYI.

I'll let the petty ad hominem attacks slide, because frankly I think you're being childish.

However, considering the population of RMC students compared to the population of students at competing schools in CIS, there is a very good reason RMC has a poor record in most sports. It's a David vs Goliath battle, and David doesn't have his slingshot with him. We have barely over one thousand students here, and we're competing against schools that have over ten thousands. The pond is just too small to get many large fish.

Ok before anyone, and I'm not naming names or picking out any person in particular here, starts acting like a bunch of frat boys and dragging out the rulers consider this your one and only warning. Some of you aspire to be military leaders start showing it. Take it to PMs or better yet let it go.

I come back in here and it's getting locked.

Piper said:
But yet....

Don't throw sand in the sandbox if you don't like getting it tossed back. The bravado disappears fast when confronted by facts eh?

But as Danjanou said, I'll leave it be now. Ain't worth the time as army.ca is yet again distracting me from an essay. I sheath my sword.

Just couldn't leave it be could you. When we've got someone with something serious and educational to say, maybe we'll reopen it, after they PM a Mod.

If you guys are going to be leaders, you better start acting like one.

Army.ca Staff

Quote from: JohnnySav on October 13, 2005, 09:34:30

Yeah I'm in college at the moment doing a program which would generally classify as a transfer year from college to Univ. I was wondering about RMC also, if I keep a 3.0 Average or higher in this year of General Arts and Science transfer crap, would they look at me?

I am an average joe here, about an 80% average in college right now taking a General Arts and Science Pre-Nursing program. They have told me they will consider you based on your college marks if you give them a good enough reason why. My high school marks ranged from 55-95. I was deemed as a "Non-Competitive" applicant the moment they saw my high school transcripts, but when they saw my nine years of competitive soccer, four years a hockey, cadets. boy scouts, student class representative at my college and all my other qualifications, they told me I was now a "Competitive" applicant, and they havn't seen my 80-85 average in college right now. Basically, don't give the recruiters a reason to doubt you. If you give it everything you have, they will see it, and sometimes it could matter as much as your academic standing, or maybe even more?

stefwills said:
If you give it everything you have, they will see it, and sometimes it could matter as much as your academic standing, or maybe even more?

I'll bring up what I said in a previous thread. Theres an OCdt here, a good buddy of mine actually from course, who was in the reserves, played years of soccer etc... His application average (all highschool marks) was, if I recall correctly, either 67% or 69%. He applied to numerous other universities and didn't get accepted to any of them. But, thanks to his previous military experience and other factors, he got into here. University with a difference, clearly.

TDV :salute:

Hi everyone, I've been reading quite a few posts but this is the first time I'm making one.

I will be 23 in November, and in the process of submitting my paperwork to the recruiting office. I want to go to RMC for the ROTP program towards the pilot occupation. I've been in the work force since I finished high school, have a good job in the financial industry, however office work is not for me, and I'm in a place right now where I feel I can go after something that's closer to heart.

I've always had high scores in school, I'm in very good physical shape, determined and excited. Having said that, I understand that most of the applicants in the RMC are right out of high school and I have 4 years on them...I want to ask if that would cause any kind of obstacles for me in terms of being at a disadvantage. I want to ask someone who's been there and can share from personal experience. What is the overall age feel on the base? Are there more first year students around my age than I think? I know a dentist who is currently in the CF and he said that it's likely that a younger applicant would get priority to be a pilot (which is hard enough to get already) over someone older. Is that true?

On a slightly different note, can anyone who's gone the same route to be a pilot share some of their experience? If you entered RMC for ROTP to be a pilot, where are you now and what was your journey like? The recruiter put it simply to me - 4 years RMC, 2 years flight training, 5 years service. That's great. But I know how few people actually make the pilot out of the pool. What happens to the rest? Do you get to go through flight training and get your licence even if you don't "make" pilot? So perhaps after service you can convert it and go for pilot outside of the military? Sorry if these are too basic, any insight would help.

Thanks very much.

Chi said:
On a slightly different note, can anyone who's gone the same route to be a pilot share some of their experience? If you entered RMC for ROTP to be a pilot, where are you now and what was your journey like?

I went through RMC (Mech Eng '06 Grad) and got my wings recently, so I can share some recent insight on the process.  I am in Cold Lake, Alberta right now and the journey was IS amazing.  But it isn't a walk in the park.

Chi said:
The recruiter put it simply to me - 4 years RMC, 2 years flight training, 5 years service. That's great.

Not quite.  4 years RMC.  Wait for 1-1.5 years, 1.5-2 years flight training (depending what stream you go onto) then you owe 7 years of service once you get your wings (maybe 9 years now??)

Chi said:
But I know how few people actually make the pilot out of the pool.

I'll give you a quick review of what happen on my phases.  First, Aircrew Selection.  We went there 11 guys, 4 passed for pilot and were sent to Toronto for the full aircrew medical.  1 failed the aircrew medical.  So, 3 made it out of 11.

On Primary Flight Training, in Portage-La-Prairie, 5 failed out of 25. 

On Basic Flight Training, 1 failed and 2 quit the program out of 8.  So 5 made it out of 8.

On Subsequent phases, no one failed. 

So, if you do the math, that's a 13.6% pass rate, the killer being Aircrew Selection.  After aircrew selection, the pass rate is 50%.  I did the jet route and things may be different for other streams, and this is only during my own personnal progression.

Chi said:
What happens to the rest?

If they have mandatory service (which you will, after RMC you owe 5 years), you have to re-muster to a different trade and finish your 5 years (that's mandatory.  They won't let you release until your 5 years it up).  If they don't have mandatory service, they can ask for a release or re-muster.

Chi said:
Do you get to go through flight training and get your licence even if you don't "make" pilot? So perhaps after service you can convert it and go for pilot outside of the military? Sorry if these are too basic, any insight would help.

The military trains pilots for its own organisation, not for civilian streets.  If you fail, I don't see why we should still throw money at your flight training (which is millions of dollars, by the way). If you want to pursue the civilian way, you'll have to do it on your dime.

Max

I can't address your questions re: pilot training, but the age one I can answer. There are plenty of 'older' people going through ROTP at any one time. I believe the proportion at RMC is less then ROTP in general, but you still will find people at RMC older then the average 18-22 year old bracket. I wouldn't worry about it, 23 isn't 'old' anyways. I know of a UTPNCM type at RMC who is 33, for example (not the same as being a member of the cadet wing, but still at RMC none the less).

I wouldn't worry about your age. I am applying for ROTP as well and I am currently 24 years of age. If my application is accepted I will be 25 in my first year.

Your age and likely resulting maturity due to your age, should you get into RMC, will probably be more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

Max, do you mind ellaborating a little on Aircrew selection? What is that exactly?

In terms of the service, What I saw on the chart at the recruiter's office was 4 years University, 2 years flight training, 5 years mandatory and 2 years optional. It was actually kind of funny because the recruiter pointed me to the chart and said "How long for pilots?", I said, "11 years plus 2 optional". He said "Gotta be more than that". I said "Not according to this chart". He quickly dropped the topic not looking too confident in the info lol

Regardless, I'm not too concerned about the contract time, I want to join for a career anyway.

Derael, if you're going to RMC and I see you there, we should grab a pint  ;)

*Milnet.ca staff edit for site policy*

Aircrew selection is basically a single engine piston panel replica and you need to do simple task.  There is no visual like in Flight Simulator.  It's all instruments.  Maintain speed, altitdue, coordination, heading.  Make turns, descents, climbs, climbing turns, descending turns etc.  There are 4X1hr session and I believe they asses how fast you can learn new tasks.  Getting flying time would probably be useless as this thing is nowhere near anything I've flown in the last 12 years. 

Your timeline is in ideal condition.  The pilot training is somewhat full right now so there is wait before you start Basic Flying Training and sometimes before your wings course.  I do believe the mandatory service for pilot went from 5, to 7, to 9 years now.

Wow, I'm in the pretty much the same situation. Turned 23 in August, applying to ROTP for pilot. Getting the paper work all ready and hoping for early acceptance to university. Only difference is I'm applying for 2 year ROTP because I've already done 3 years of college and have the option of articulating into a 4 year program at a few Civi U's.

Good luck to ya and you'll have to keep this updated, because I'm as curious as you are!

I know of several people in their mid-20's who went to RMC, it's a non-issue. In fact, several of them were great help on courses (My IAP average age was 18, I was 19, so the 24 year olds were the life-experienced guys  ;D) So don't worry about it. Good luck with the pilot stuff, Max seems to have answered all of your questions, but ask away if you have more. Cheers.

I'm in a similar situation.  I'm weighing my career/education options and RMC/ROTP has come up again.  I applied last year to RMC and was accepted for Signals, but turned it down to pursue a non-DND gov't job.  I'm now thinking I should reapply to RMC again.

At age 24 currently, I'd also be 25 in my theoretical first year.  I can work with anyone, but it is hard to socialize and forge friendships with a 18 year old...at least the typical* 18 year old.  I have a year of university, and a college diploma under my belt, so really I'm quite familiar with higher education and the work force.

The age gap could form a unique opportunity however.  Within a group of cadets, a "20 + n" person would make a natural leader due to their life experience, and general personal confidence (one would hope).  You could essentially hone your skills as a micro leader within the Cadet ranking system.  You might meet some resistance as people resent an older person assuming they get first crack at leadership, but a smart leader knows when to take the best advice...even when it wasn't his/her idea.  You might also get chewed out more often by the >2nd year Cadets as they might expect a slightly higher standard from you.

This is just me hypothesizing.  I know if I was a 3rd/4th year Cadet at RMC, I'd expect a 1st year my age to require much less discipline, regardless of any previous military experience.

I'm still considering going DEO, or ROTP at Civ. U.  My previous higher education credits would get me nothing at RMC, whereas I could get a Bachelor's anywhere else in probably half the time (depending on my major of course).  The main draw to RMC for me (personally) is the mixture of PT and education.  The Uni lifestyle is very sedentary if you let it be.  Having group activities that EVERYONE participates in would be great.  I'm also quite comfortable in uniform, and take pride in wearing one (that represents a profession).

Don't even worry about being only 23 or 24! I'm 35, and the oldest new cadet here this year, plus I'm a woman, with a minor heart problem. If I can do it, and make it through FYOP, so can you. Be in the best physical shape you can be, and know that know matter what you do, there are going to be things that will be hard for you. Even though it's a little odd sometimes, being older does have its advantages. The professors take you more seriously, and because I have lots of previous university experience, I know how to study, write essays, etc. Now that midterms are over and the grades are out, a lot of my flight are asking me for help with their school work, because I'm doing quite well in that respect. Just do your best, that's all you can do. Use your experience to your advangtage. :)

That's really great to hear that someone older got in, because I think a lot of people even in their 20s are getting really nervous about just how strict they are about that. Strictness on marks is something that people can control (you just score higher) but you can't lower your age. That said, I can't help but imagine you had a lot of other qualities going that made you appealing as an officer candidate. Could you give some examples of things like leadership experience and other factors that would have played a part in your selection process to make you stand out? Also, did you retake courses or did they let you use old marks from high school before or something?

As far as I know, as long as you will have enough years in you to fulfill your contract (mine's until 2020, I'll be doing more training as an air navigator after I graduate RMC), they don't seem to really care about age. As far as my other experience, I've lived overseas for most of the past 15 years (New Zealand for 8, then Banff/Lake Louise for 3, then off to Japan for 4 years), which obviously gives me a lot more life experience than most of the people straight out of high school. I also did some volunteer work with the Canadian Embassy while I was in Japan (I was my province's emergency contact person, or Consular Warden), which got me interested in working for Canada. As far as my high school marks, they did want to see them, and that can play a role in what courses you end up taking. For me, I'm in arts, so next year when we have to take some science courses, I'm exempt from the "pre-chemistry" class, because I did chem 12. I'll probably take it anyway, it's been a long time! And if you remember enough of your calculus, etc, you  can challenge certain courses. You take a challenge exam, and if you pass, you can get exempted from the course. I also have a heapload of transfer credits from UVIC, so I don't have to take as many electives if I don't want to. I probably still will take some though, there's a lot of interesting courses here.

Hope that helps! Any more ?s feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back