• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is everyone's application coming along? I talked to the Rugby coach for Varsity men's and he seems like a great coach! Very enthusiastic.

I'm just waiting to get my Aircrew Medical Rating and then be shipped off to CFAST.

Good Luck all!

For those who take the time to read this and reply, many thanks.

My question today is ultimately about acceptance and overall preparedness for acceptance to RMC.
After talking to a recruiter who came to my school I have already talked about the overall career path (Being MARS officer) and applying for the ARTS program majouring in Political science. My question is, If i would like to be accepted what can I do in HS to prepare. I failed grade 11 math and recompleted the course getting about a 65 (only grade below a 84 for me) . All my other courses are high 80's and mid 90's. I have not done many sports since a injury in football in grade 9. I will be taking a "victory lap" after this year to do grade 11 Physic's and Chem since it is recommended, So I could do some teams next year... Overall Im asking about my probability at this moment and what I can do to improve. This is my dream job, So im at a point I will do anything to make it a reality.

Hey all!

I applied to ROTP for Nursing Officer last year and due to some complications with my medical I wasn't on the merit list until after the spots were already filled :(  Last year the number for NO was 7 and this year is 4, I have already reapplied and completed my update medical and interview, having already done my CFAT last year with an extremely competitive score.  I'm currently attending Trent University for nursing as a first year student.  Just thought I'd introduce myself :)

Tessa

FraservilleMike said:
My question is, If i would like to be accepted what can I do in HS to prepare.

There are discussions in the RMC/ROTP forum with advice on how to become a ( more ) competitive applicant.

This is one example you may find helpful,

RMC, CMR, ROTP > What would make me more competitive?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/108629.0
2 pages.

And many more,

RMC competitive:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+rmc+competitive&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ntc_VtDfDZDd8gfq7K9o&gws_rd=ssl

FraservilleMike said:
For those who take the time to read this and reply, many thanks.
I failed grade 11 math and recompleted the course getting about a 65

We both know that this looks bad, you can't and will not retake it for a third time. Instead what you will do is take the Functions/Calculus course(s) . Reason being is should you get into RMC you will do math even if you are in Poli-Sci. Might as well see it once before hand when all you need to worry about is school. Furthermore if you don't get in to RMC not having calc is a huge problem in university if you want to switch majors out of poli-sci you pretty much need calc. What you are going to do is take it, study hard go to your math help session or math club at lunch and ensure that you do better than your 65 in grade 11. Ideally low 80s. (I failed functions in HS, re took it and got a 83, there is no way that you can't do that as well). Can't understand your teacher? Don't worry https://www.khanacademy.org/ has your back.

FraservilleMike said:
I have not done many sports since a injury in football in grade 9. I will be taking a "victory lap" after this year to do grade 11 Physic's and Chem since it is recommended,

Good if you are taking a victory lap take the G 12 courses as well. The only caveat with the 5th year is towards the end of the final semester once I got declined from RMC and was going into a program that didn't need my bio/chem courses my GAFF (give a fuck factor) went a lot lower. Not saying that this will happen to you but this happened to most students who came back for the final semester, if they even finished the final semester. You have got to keep your self focused, because you never know when you will need the credits. (Like when you try to switch into engineering and get told no  ::)).

FraservilleMike said:
So I could do some teams next year...

It doesn't necessarily need to be physical, what about things like chess, debate? If you started now you could get 2 years of activities in. But by all means do what you can for next year.

You could also do some volunteering, but try to do something longer term and with a bigger impact for yourself.

FraservilleMike said:
Overall Im asking about my probability at this moment and what I can do to improve. This is my dream job, So im at a point I will do anything to make it a reality.

No one can tell you your probability, it depends on you and how competitive the other applicants are applying to your given trades. Good on you for trying to to do this now, instead of the year that you are applying.

Cheers

FraservilleMike said:
My question today is ultimately about acceptance and overall preparedness for acceptance to RMC.
After talking to a recruiter who came to my school I have already talked about the overall career path (Being MARS officer) and applying for the ARTS program majouring in Political science. My question is, If i would like to be accepted what can I do in HS to prepare. I failed grade 11 math and recompleted the course getting about a 65 (only grade below a 84 for me) . All my other courses are high 80's and mid 90's. I have not done many sports since a injury in football in grade 9. I will be taking a "victory lap" after this year to do grade 11 Physic's and Chem since it is recommended, So I could do some teams next year... Overall Im asking about my probability at this moment and what I can do to improve. This is my dream job, So im at a point I will do anything to make it a reality.

To be eligible for an Arts program through ROTP, you need as a minimum, completion of or be in the process of completing a Gr 12 pre-university English or French course and a Gr 11 pre-university Math course, with a minimum mark of 75% achieved in both these courses.

DAA said:
To be eligible for an Arts program through ROTP, you need as a minimum, completion of or be in the process of completing a Gr 12 pre-university English or French course and a Gr 11 pre-university Math course, with a minimum mark of 75% achieved in both these courses.

Could the individual get a > 75% in a grade  12 course and have it over ride the grade 11 req?

runormal said:
Could the individual get a > 75% in a grade  12 course and have it over ride the grade 11 req?

Usually, ONLY if the Gr 12 course was considered to be equal to or a higher level than the Gr 11 course.  There are instances where this does happen but it requires a second level review to ensure the requirements are met. 

DAA said:

I am in Grade 12 at this moment and will be taking a grade 13 year to be better prepared. I currently have a 95 in my English.

runormal said:
We both know that this looks bad, you can't and will not retake it for a third time. Instead what you will do is take the Functions/Calculus course(s) . Reason being is should you get into RMC you will do math even if you are in Poli-Sci. Might as well see it once before hand when all you need to worry about is school. Furthermore if you don't get in to RMC not having calc is a huge problem in university if you want to switch majors out of poli-sci you pretty much need calc. What you are going to do is take it, study hard go to your math help session or math club at lunch and ensure that you do better than your 65 in grade 11. Ideally low 80s. (I failed functions in HS, re took it and got a 83, there is no way that you can't do that as well). Can't understand your teacher? Don't worry https://www.khanacademy.org/ has your back.

Good if you are taking a victory lap take the G 12 courses as well. The only caveat with the 5th year is towards the end of the final semester once I got declined from RMC and was going into a program that didn't need my bio/chem courses my GAFF (give a frig factor) went a lot lower. Not saying that this will happen to you but this happened to most students who came back for the final semester, if they even finished the final semester. You have got to keep your self focused, because you never know when you will need the credits. (Like when you try to switch into engineering and get told no  ::)).

It doesn't necessarily need to be physical, what about things like chess, debate? If you started now you could get 2 years of activities in. But by all means do what you can for next year.

You could also do some volunteering, but try to do something longer term and with a bigger impact for yourself.

No one can tell you your probability, it depends on you and how competitive the other applicants are applying to your given trades. Good on you for trying to to do this now, instead of the year that you are applying.

Cheers

I appreciate this and will take Advanced Functions then Calculus next year... but honestly I will go to universtiy first year if i have to but I will keep applying to RMC until i get in or am too old

Hi there fellow readers (and hopefully future colleagues)

I have just recently applied to RMC in hopes of getting into the Aeronautical Engineering program. As I am a Quebec student and have not completed Cegep, I anticipate going to RMC St-Jean to get me up to par with the rest of Canada, or at least the part of Canada that has grade 12.

When I applied via the RMC website, I included all the documents and information that was required of me i.e transcripts, experience, etc. I feel, just based on the information I provided, I have a fairly decent chance of the college considering me as a candidate.

However, since I wish as much as possible not to leave this up to chance, as this has been my life long dream, I was wondering if RMC accepts letters of intent. I have researched the subject on both the forum and through the use of search engines and have found nothing on the subject. Since I felt this was my best chance to stand out in a large competitive crowd, I figured this might be the best place to ask wether or not that is truly the case. Thank you in advance for the answer!

Remembering all those who served and continue to serve.

Sincerely,
Zac C

Positively:) said:
Since I felt this was my best chance to stand out in a large competitive crowd

Best wishes on your application process. CMR Saint-Jean is a great place to complete your CEGEP.
My experience with successfully navigating the application process is to excel in the areas that you will be evaluated on. This is the army, and there is an established set process and evaluation criteria.  My opinion, is that a letter of intent is outside of this process and it may be of little help.

My suggestion is to thoroughly prepare for the upcoming evaluations. Maximize your score on your academic marks, aptitude test and most importantly, your interview. This will position you well on the merit list for your selected trades. There are good discussions on the aptitude test and the interview in these forums.
Learn everything that you can and be intentional with your time.
Your determination will be key.
Cheers  :army:

Thank you very much for the speedy response! I will definitely take your advice and put it to work. I am actually enrolled at an adult education center, finishing up some pre-requisites. I am well on top of that. I have also being studying different battery tests online in preparation for the cfat, but I will be digging into the forum in the up coming days to better myself further. As for preparing for the interview, I constantly catch myself practicing my interview in my mind. Sometimes, I even dream about it. I know there are definitely resources in the forums on this subject and I also remember reading some good information on the forces website, but I figure since you put so much emphasis on it, do you have any specific advice regarding the interview?

Many thanks,
Zac C

do you have any specific advice regarding the interview?

This may help,

Interview advice (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12755.325
15 pages.

Interview
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+interview&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=7BtEVqnTBoTd8gfgz7GIDQ&gws_rd=ssl#

There are also numerous discussions on here about what to wear / how to dress for the Interview.

Step five: Interview

To prepare for the interview, we suggest that you:
•Research the jobs you have listed on your application.
•List the reasons you chose those jobs.
•Review your resume and be prepared to talk about your work history.
•Summarize your education and any other activities you have been involved in.
•Read the section “Life in the CF” and “Basic Training.”
•Prepare answers to the following common questions: ◦Where does basic training take place? For how long?
◦Where does the occupational training take place for the jobs you are interested in?
◦How long will you be in training before you are completely qualified?
◦What is the role of your preferred job in the Forces?
◦Where might you serve?
◦What do you like about the jobs you listed on the application?
◦What are the negative elements of the jobs you listed on the application?

•Put some thought into what you will wear and how you want to present yourself.
•Give yourself time to arrive 10 to 15 minutes early so you can relax before the interview.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

These are great resources. Thank you very much Mariomike!

I didn't meen to cause anyone to do the work for me, I was just curious as to what stood out most as being important  when durhamcadet1 did his interview, being that he was very adamant about the subject.

Nevertheless, I very much appreciate the resources and they will be put to the test!

Thank you
Zac c

I was just curious as to what stood out most as being important 

First of all, your academic transcripts are the most important, after that, how well you score on the CFAT.

Same situation for me bud! I'm in first year mech eng & computing at UOttawa, applying to ROTP in my first year. In grade 12 I had an overall average of around 88 (top 6 final for eng = 83-85, cant remember) but it included a 65 in calculus. Planning on giving my university transcripts to the recruiting center as soon as I can so they can add it to my file (their instructions). Do not want this low mark which I have rectified to ruin my chances. Best of luck to you as well OP!

JackMerridrew said:
How is everyone's application coming along? I talked to the Rugby coach for Varsity men's and he seems like a great coach! Very enthusiastic.

I'm just waiting to get my Aircrew Medical Rating and then be shipped off to CFAST.

Good Luck all!

My medical has been done and I called to confirm and it has been approved by Ottawa. Still waiting to be put on CFAST

random123 said:
My medical has been done and I called to confirm and it has been approved by Ottawa. Still waiting to be put on CFAST

Do you remember when your medical files were received by Ottawa? I'm entering my 8th week with no response from the RMO.

I noticed that the pre-requisites for Civil Engineering include Pre-Calculus 12, English 12, Physics 12 and Chemistry 12. Given this, is your application average based on these four grades? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back