• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 year (or one year, depending on when you take it) program at RRU is entered after two years of studies. It looks like a great program.

There are advantages to RMC (which is why I am here) and there are disadvanteages. The course load here is much higher than the "same" degree from a civvy u, but when I'm done, so are all my OPME requirements and my language profile (hopefully). I may not get some juicy OJT, but I will be technically qualified Capt as soon as I'm Ph 4.
Yes, parades do suck on occasion. Mandatory functions also suck (I don't have to worry about room inspections, though).
The biggest disadvantage of RMC is the lack of connection with the rest of the CF (but that is even worse at civvy u). Those of us with some time in (Reg F or PRes) have it a little better, but I find that part the most disturbing. We are on our own little island and the real world does not invade it very often (unless I go up to clothing stores to try and get something replaced that I am no longer entitled to because I am now a student. Funny, I thought I was still a soldier, just on a course. anyways). The only time we get to speak with anyone outside of the campus is MOC weekend and summer training. Too much of a disconnect exists between what is being taught and some certain misconceptions and what really goes on in the CF.
Unfortunately, I'm an OCdt and not in charge of anything yet. We'll have to wait a few years.  ;)
Oh, and in my opinion (for what its worth), St. Jean should be reduced to a pile of rubble and everybody should go through Cornwallis for basic. Atleast we weren't called match-heads by the locals. Montreal is a lot better than Digby for leave, though.

Piper said:
No, I'm quite happy I didn't 'get' RMC. I'm very happy that, if I have to get a degree, I get to do it the fun way. Either way, my commission is the same as yours, whether or not I got my degree at RMC or a civvie school. Have fun with Queen's girls (I can give you some phone #'s if you want), uniforms and room inspections at school  ::). And have fun not getting the OJT/Training opportunities I have access to during the school year. 

For someone who doesn't believe in looking down at others, you sure look down at RMC. Is that what they teach at Civvie U?

Hello,

I'm a Pte(r) right now with paperwork going through to hopefully be a pilot soon.  My experience, however limited, has taught me that there are plus sides to doing RMC or Civie U.  They say RMC grads get priority on promotion, which i don't know is true.  I do know however, that grads from RMC are more "rounded" on average(key word) because of the 4 pillars (3 of which not included at Civie U).  Don't think that i look down on Civie U as on my application i asked to go to MUN subsidized, not RMC in Kingston.  To every officer cadet out there and everyone looking to be one....the NCMs you will soon encounter have much more experience than you do, no matter how much you think you have.  Listen to them and take their advice, you're really working for them not the other way around. :)

Ryan

P.S.  Any officer cadet who thinks their better then a private because their an officer? Neither of you may be qualified, but at least a "private" is usefull. :p

Rad said:
P.S.  Any officer cadet who thinks their better then a private because their an officer? Neither of you may be qualified, but at least a "private" is usefull. :p

Oh yes they're very useful. They can shovel snow and... shovel sand? </aristocratic officer mode>

Personally, I'd say there's a difference between a Private and an Officer Cadet, but it's not that big and mainly seems to revolve around life choices. Of course, the number of Privates that I know is pretty limited...

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1268.0.html

The full conversation of where this is going is continuing on in the thread about Officer/NCO/NCM relations.

Like I said before, the biggest problem here is the disconnect between RMC and Civvy U and the rest of the CF. The last few comments are perfect examples of this.

Frederik G said:
For someone who doesn't believe in looking down at others, you sure look down at RMC. Is that what they teach at Civvie U?

~sigh~  OK kids, gather around, and I'll tell you a little story I like to call "reality."

Not everyone will play well with everyone else. Everyone brings different strengths, weaknesses, and experiences to the table. Some people will say unkind things about you behind your back; those things may or may not be true.

Yes, RMC folks, some people may dislike you merely because you went to MilCol. Some people may dislike you because you are a complete idiot, and you may choose to think it's because you went to RMC. You may find there a really skilled, switched-on, personable officers (and NCOs), and only afterwards will you stop to wonder where they developed those abilities....and what school ring they wear.

But eventually you may find it more beneficial to work through all of these personality quirks, and get on with life. I've occasionally crossed paths with one...ok, maybe two.... people in the CF who are smarter, more attractive, of equal or somewhat greater fitness than me, who seem to be more popular with others. It's been difficult, but despite my schooling, experience, and the boy-scout badges on my Mess Kit....I have learned not to lose sleep over it.

.....or you can feel free to keep going, "oh...oh YA!....." in these threads. You're actually perpetuating some of the stereotypes, and the sleep you're losing is your own.

Journeyman said:
Some people may dislike you because you are a complete idiot, and you may choose to think it's because you went to RMC.

Are you calling me a complete idiot, or is that the general "you"? :p

Frederik G said:
Are you calling me a complete idiot, or is that the general "you"? :p

You're still just first-year; you're no where near complete yet  ;)

Piper, well done. The fact that you took the time and effort to do OJT instead of hit the beaches down south goes a long way, in my book.
However, I do not believe that such an expressed sentiment is new to the powers that be. It seems to me that only the thickest of individuals would not realize the potential benefit of doing any length of OJT with an operational unit (and believe me, I've been looking into the OJT vs. other types of "training"). I do not think that the powers that be at RMC are thick in the least (While I have not spoken with the Cmdt at any length, DCdt, DDCdt, the Adj and the DSM semi-regularly drop into our lounge to sniff the air for sedition, and they all seem reasonable people,......well, none of us are in jail yet anyways  :D). The ULO's are probably as constrained, if not more so, than RMC, with regards to "extra" training. CivU still have to do all the phases and SLT when possible, and it's not like St. Mary's or U of T is going to change their schedule for a few of us.
The time available to do any military training is so constrained by the curriculum (that is essentially handed to them by higher), there is not a lot of wiggle room left. Even the Div Training weekends have been scaled back (from what I've been told by those more experienced in RMC's ever changing schedule).
There are a number of reasons for this, I'm sure (and I'm only barely aware of a few), but hopefully the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way. With the Engineering program being extended (time-wise) to accommodate the "extra" activities (i.e. SLT, mandatory Arts courses, etc.), the Arts program will inevitably be looked at also. Some one, somewhere (at a much higher pay-scale than you or I) has a plan. Of that I am sure. I'm hoping that we will hear about this plan someday. Until then, all we can do is keep writing intelligent, well presented arguments. Maybe we can put a bit more of the Mil back into MilCol (not too much though, I am not getting any younger, after all  :()

Everyone entering RMC as an officer-cadet does so as a first year. That's right folks, if you've got one year to go you have to start all over again. Look at the bright side, you'll ace your courses until 4th year!

Marks is THE FIRST THING THEY LOOK AT!!!!!

You can be a veteran from Afghanistan, an 18 year old infantry corporal with 450 pts on the RMCPPT and completely bilingual, but if your marks are not HIGH you won't get in.

Get high marks! Be able to run, run, run!

Who are we, PT! Who are we, PT! What do we do, run! What do we do, RUN!

Enjoy the RMC years because they don't last long and other university students in Canada have it a LOT rougher. They don't get paid to study like RMC students do, and the RMC facilities (ie NOT Haldimand or Champlain) are very nice buildings.

bbbb said:
Marks is THE FIRST THING THEY LOOK AT!!!!!

While i am sure marks are very important, (well i know they are by now  :p) making sure you are well rounded in things such as community and blah blah blah you heard the list before cannot be forgotten.

I just had my interview and we didn't focus on my grades at all.  One thing is for sure though, know your MOC's. I knew mine inside and out and that really shows that you know exactly what you're getting into. Grades are important of course, but I don't believe they're the focal point.

is there anyone who know when is the selection for the rmc this year? i know the border line for candidate presentation was yesterday ( march 18) i've already done all the procedures to go at rmc but i dont know when is the selection so it would be very nice someone knowing when it is to tell me that! thank you! :)

steven18 said:
is there anyone who know when is the selection for the rmc this year? i know the border line for candidate presentation was yesterday ( march 18) i've already done all the procedures to go at rmc but i dont know when is the selection so it would be very nice someone knowing when it is to tell me that! thank you! :)

The selection has already begun and people who have applied in the last couple of weeks might not even make into the selection mix before all the positions have been given away.  I posted in a thread about this already look for it.  Apply early apply early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back