• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Journeyman said:
Focus people.... the poster's original question was "how many people are studying at RMC..."

From my passing familiarity, usually no more than 20 or so are actually studying.  >:D

And half of those are people from Queen's over using the library.  >:D

Kayghee said:
Ideally, yes, RMC graduates are promoted faster because the point of RMC is to build up officers well-educated. Going through a military school versus a civilian university is 'supposed' to give you an upper hand because that's exactly the point of the school being there in the first place.

Now, this isn't always the case and as such it's only a correlation and not a causation.
In the end, it all depends on the individual's drive to succeed.

Funny, I didn't notice any extra merit points being awarded for having a Bachelor's degree from RMC at the recent career manager brief, he must have forgotten that.

I hate to use a TI argument, but you'll want to attend BMOQ before you start making sweeping statements like that. When you get your feet on the ground, you might realize not everyone in the CF thinks RMC's fecal matter smells like roses.

This year is my second year applying to RMC Kingston. Last year I was told I was very competitive as I scored "very high" on the aptitude test, however I still was not selected. Once again this year I was told after my interview that I am competitive so hopefully this time round is the lucky one.  good luck everyone!

Dimsum said:
That flies in the face of the whole "meritocracy" (performance and potential on PERs) thing that is supposed to be at the centre of promotions. 

I'd go on a tangent/rant and suggest that something more like Sandhurst would be better, where it's purely an Officer school that one has to enter with a degree already to get the full life experience of a civilian student, but I digress.

You don't need a degree to enter Sandhurst or be an Officer in the British Army. You do, however, need to be a leader. The British are pretty clear that the former does not necessarily guarantee the latter, hence the motto: Serve to Lead.

"Potential officers are identified by the Army Officer Selection Board (formerly the Regular Commissions Board, or RCB) situated in Westbury in Wiltshire.[13] Nearly 10 percent of British cadets are female and nearly 10 percent of all cadets come from overseas. Eighty-five percent of entrants are university graduates although it is not required.[14] Some officer cadets are serving soldiers. Technically, all cadets have the rank of private."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Military_Academy_Sandhurst

It also seems that the British Army-Navy-Air Force, unlikeCanada, can generate enough high quality Officer level leaders without the extra expense of operating their own Universities x 2, plus all the associated infrastructure... just sayin'  :stirpot:

604steve said:
This year is my second year applying to RMC Kingston. Last year I was told I was very competitive as I scored "very high" on the aptitude test, however I still was not selected. Once again this year I was told after my interview that I am competitive so hopefully this time round is the lucky one.  good luck everyone!

When they say "competitive" that means you are above minimum standards.  I'm not saying this is your situation, but even if your score was 1 over the minimum you would be deemed "competitive".  This is for everyone else's sake that is applying to RMC.  I spoke in detail about all of this during my interview (interview after mine was cancelled so I was able to spend much more time with my interviewer than most).

Good on you for applying again and not giving up!

Getting accepted is no small feat.

It's not enough to beat the standard or the other people you're competing against. Going at it that way is mere survival. You have do your best regardless of standards, minimums or competition. My interview was scheduled for this Friday but because of exams, I had it bumped to Monday to prepare further. I'm memorizing and testing myself on my occupation choices and why I think I'm the best for the job. I will do a huge self-quiz on Sunday incorporating everything so I know I'm ready for Monday.

If I'm not selected, I'll continue with my plan B, and apply to ROTP again and again until they have to select me.

To get accepted, you have to want it more than you want to breathe.

Sincerely,
BBB

Big Bad Bear said:

Good attitude; a little obsessive but good attitude.

As always, good luck ladies and gentlemen.

I agree with BBB.

When I look back on my high school days, I realize that everything I did there was to get to where I am now.

BBB, if you want it as bad as I think you do, and I know the feeling, then I hope you get in. Stick to your guns my friend.

Big Bad Bear said:
A little dramatic, but I supposed it's better to be focused than not.

That being said, I wanted to breathe more than I wanted ROTP, so I was sure to, like you said, have a plan B.  In fact, ROTP was my plan B, so I was sure to have a plan C.  I'm in plan B now and it's pretty damn good- maybe this should have been plan A from the start.
Make sure you're ready to keep on going if ROTP doesn't work out, because the reality is that not everyone will be selected, and there are other things you can do with your life.

Good luck.

You could always just go to Queen's and look upon us from across the bridge  ;D

If you can see RMC from Queen's, you must have like binoculars for eyes.  ;D

You all have valid points. I realize the "wanting more than you want to breathe" is bordering dramatic, but the meaning is the same. They won't take half-assed candidates unless they make a mistake.

I'm not obsessed (I find that the word has a negative and unhealthy connotation) with getting accepted, if anything, I'm dedicated to doing my best. In pursuing this goal, I've become a better man for it. But like you said, time goes on, we can take another path if this one closes temporarily and I'm more than set up to do so. I wish you all luck and success.

Regards,

BBB

BBB. I like your attitude as mentioned prior.

However, there are a lot of people here that fit in the category of "less than awesome" cadets here.

Where are you from by the way?

Alex.Landry said:
BBB. I like your attitude as mentioned prior.

However, there are a lot of people here that fit in the category of "less than awesome" cadets here.

Where are you from by the way?

Exactly. Take Alex Landry here for example.  ;D

Thank you, Alex. I'm in no position to agree with Scriptox about you or vise versa, of course  :p I personally know a few OCdts who tell me that there are some at RMCC who certainly don't merit being there but who are we to judge what got them there? Maybe they're the hard on the outside, soft on the inside kind of people who do help others -- could be the other way around also.

I'm from London (or "The Forest City") in Ontario. I'm looking forward to a change once I move out to Kingston or elsewhere for post-secondary. Speaking of which, have you been to Kingston? What's it like?

Regards,

BBB

Big Bad Bear said:
Thank you, Alex. I'm in no position to agree with Scriptox about you or vise versa, of course  :p I personally know a few OCdts who tell me that there are some at RMCC who certainly don't merit being there but who are we to judge what got them there? Maybe they're the hard on the outside, soft on the inside kind of people who do help others -- could be the other way around also.

I'm from London (or "The Forest City") in Ontario. I'm looking forward to a change once I move out to Kingston or elsewhere for post-secondary. Speaking of which, have you been to Kingston? What's it like?

Regards,

BBB

Kingston is a nice city with a good vibe to it. A lot of restaurants and bars downtown, and can get pretty crazy on the weekends with all the students, but the same can be said about all university towns.

Alex.Landry said:
Okay there Mr. "I can't do drill today"  ::)

Hey now, I did it for the last 10 minutes if that counts for anything  ;D The CDTO was giving me the go ahead to jump in, but the Div Warrant was saying no :p In the end, I think what I did was a reasonable compromise  ;D

Cui said:
Kingston is a nice city with a good vibe to it. A lot of restaurants and bars downtown, and can get pretty crazy on the weekends with all the students, but the same can be said about all university towns.

It sounds like I'd enjoy Kingston. London has long lost its vibe but it still has the crazy weekends and holidays with Western U,  Fanshawe College, Brescia, etc. The Fleming Drive Riot that made provincial news (at least) last year is a great example  :facepalm:

Regards,

BBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back