• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I as well don't hold out much hope.  You would not even most likely meet the admission requirements that includes (for Ontario and I am sure similar for other Provinces) two grade 12 academic maths, physics etc.  Not sure, and you would not know either, if you met the CFAT requirements for the trade or what score you had.  Interview for that trade not done.  Seems strange that you were heavily into Arts, and now al of a sudden want to change to a tough engineering program.  As indicated you cannot even put in the request until after BMOQ which will be the start of your second year. And no guarantee that you will successfully complete.

Even if you had the admission requirements, and the CFAT results acceptable and interview went well... would you have been selected this year??  Were many of the items that you received credit for as your current trade even transferable to receive similar for engineering?  Not only do you have to be accepted by the prospective area but your current area has to also agree. This does not occur automatically and there individuals trying to transfer to engineering trades that are currently taking engineering courses and going for degrees.

As others have said, talk to them about it.  I don't think that you are going to find the response favourable.

dcs said:
...Seems strange that you were heavily into Arts, and now al of a sudden want to change to a tough engineering program.
Nothing strange about this.  There are a few people around the college who are quite strong academically and talk about regretting not going into engineering or science programs.  That being said, all the arts students love having all their spares!

Even if you had the admission requirements, and the CFAT results acceptable and interview went well... would you have been selected this year??...
Whether or not he would have been accepted this year is irrelevant.  The way I understand it, the numbers allotted for VORs vice ROTP new applicants or or DEO applicants or any other entry plan are accounted for differently in the SIP.  What would really matter, in terms of getting into his new trade, is whether or not he is as competitive as the other people that want to switch into that trade.  Academically, he's in the college and has all the rights and privileges of anyone else at RMC/CMR already.

Arts -> engineering is just a hard transition to make because of the amount of courses you're required to take in engineering programs, and the difficulty of making those courses up if you miss them in early years.

Helo i'm new here and am a grade 11 student (2012). I'm really confused about the application process to RMC.

The website states that applying to RMC is through the website, not via OUAC. Does this mean if I apply online, it will be reviewed as a post secondary education application?

The site also told me to choose a career, what's the full step by step procedure in applying?

Is it like...
1. Go on forces.ca and find a job/career ie mechanical engineer officer.
2. Complete the application; this is your university application?
3. Be screened at the recruitment centre?
What's next?

Thanks in advanced!

Mincading said:
So I won't need to apply via school?
I don't remember how much OUAC actually does for you when applying to universities, but I'm positive that it's not enough for RMC.

When you go to RMC, you go as an Officer Cadet.  You will be enrolled as a member of the regular force (or occasionally reserve, although this is far less common), paid a salary, have your tuition/books/supply costs covered and repay your free education by serving as a commissioned officer upon graduation.

The process requires CFAT (Canadian Forces Aptitude Test), interview, medical work and an extensive application package.

Unlike many civilian universities, you will actually have to go into a recruiting center and do some face to face work and try and get into the forces.
I recommend calling up your local recruiting center in September of your gr 12 year and getting started on the paperwork NLT October of your gr 12 year.  You want that application in and done as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Is officer cadet another name for "student"?

So going to a recruitment center will increase my chances of being admitted? When I call in, should I set up an appointment or something? When I get the  recruitment center, should I ask for a post secondary application?

Last question, what is NLT?

Thanks a ton, you helped a lot!

Mincading said:
Is officer cadet another name for "student"?

So going to a recruitment center will increase my chances of being admitted? When I call in, should I set up an appointment or something? When I get the  recruitment center, should I ask for a post secondary application?

Last question, what is NLT?

Thanks a ton, you helped a lot!

The Royal Military College of Canada is not just a University for you to go to. It's not simply "Post-Secondary Application" - YOU ARE ENROLLING IN THE MILITARY. The only way you can attend RMC via Regular Officer Training Plan is if you apply through the Recruiting Centre. You will study a 4 year degree program, you will do your Basic military training over the summers (BMOQ, etc.), once graduated you will be obligated to serve an additional 3-7 years depending on the occupation you select. If you do not fulfill your Obligated Service, you will be required to pay back the years you did not serve.

Officer Cadet is a rank and it means Officer Cadet. Students are Officer Cadets because they are in-training and not yet a Commissioned Officer.

NLT = No Later Than

Officer Cadet is a rank in the Canadian Forces.

I'd suggest watching this video as it may help you understand exactly what ROTP is. http://cdn.forces.ca/_VIDEOS2010/ROTP_en.mp4

I would also suggest reading the Forces website a bit more.  Especially this part http://forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96#paiduniversity-1

Finally, after you watched the video and looked at the website I would go visit a recruiting centre. An appointment isn't normally necessary. If and when you go to the recruiting centre ask about RMC or ROTP.

I just want to highlight that by applying to RMC your applying for a job.  If successful, the CF will send you to school as a condition of the job you applied for. Don't think this is just like applying to Ottawa U or whatever. Not only are you applying for a job you are applying to join the military and everything that comes with that.

PrairieThunder said:
The Royal Military College of Canada is not just a University for you to go to. It's not simply "Post-Secondary Application" - YOU ARE ENROLLING IN THE MILITARY. The only way you can attend RMC via Regular Officer Training Plan is if you apply through the Recruiting Centre. You will study a 4 year degree program, you will do your Basic military training over the summers (BMOQ, etc.), once graduated you will be obligated to serve an additional 3-7 years depending on the occupation you select. If you do not fulfill your Obligated Service, you will be required to pay back the years you did not serve.

Officer Cadet is a rank and it means Officer Cadet. Students are Officer Cadets because they are in-training and not yet a Commissioned Officer.

NLT = No Later Than

Makes a lot more sense.  Application is free of charge?

yoman said:
Officer Cadet is a rank in the Canadian Forces.

I'd suggest watching this video as it may help you understand exactly what ROTP is. http://cdn.forces.ca/_VIDEOS2010/ROTP_en.mp4

I would also suggest reading the Forces website a bit more.  Especially this part http://forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96#paiduniversity-1

Finally, after you watched the video and looked at the website I would go visit a recruiting centre. An appointment isn't normally necessary. If and when you go to the recruiting centre ask about RMC or ROTP.

I just want to highlight that by applying to RMC your applying for a job.  If successful, the CF will send you to school as a condition of the job you applied for. Don't think this is just like applying to Ottawa U or whatever. Not only are you applying for a job you are applying to join the military and everything that comes with that.
I finished watching the video, is phsical fitness really that heavily weighted? Also like is leadership, fitness, more important than academics? Let's say ur strong in academics, moderate in fitness, with some involvement in leadership, what are the chances of being accepted?

Thanks for your help, I shall visit a recruitment center during the summer of grade 11 so I get information. :)

Having strong leadership skills is the cornerstone of being an officer in the CF. As an officer, you are responsible for managing and leading sometimes hundreds of people.

Just updating. All my tests are complete, Interview is updated. When I asked if my file is considered competitive, the recruiting officer said yes. There is a score assigned to each ROTP application (I think it is called a potential number). Mine was 68.5. I think a lot of the decision will be based on how this number compares to other people who apply. Hopefully it is not just that number, but the whole picture. I imagine it will be.
1st choice - Nursing Officer (ROTP)
2nd choice - Construction Engineering Officer  (DEO or ROTP)
3rd choice - Aerospace Control Officer (DEO)

All,

Just remember that although some of you may be on the merit list and waiting for a "yes" or "no", continue to strive to make yourself better and better. If for some reason you do get a "no", you will have a head start on the next application round if you choose to apply again the next year.

Alex.Landry said:
scriptox. Just think, on next year's thread, it'll be our year's FYOP candidates :3

Indeed. I hope they find FYOP as interesting as you and I did  ;D

Mincading said:
Sorry? I don't understand your abbreviations :(

Depending on your academic program, your obligatory service to the military to cover your service could be up to 13 years (Variable Initial Engagement).

is phsical fitness really that heavily weighted? Also like is leadership, fitness, more important than academics? Let's say ur strong in academics, moderate in fitness, with some involvement in leadership, what are the chances of being accepted?

Yes. Physical fitness keeps people alive.

Leadership keeps your soldiers alive. You are supposed to come out of RMC after four years and slide into commanding a platoon where I have to entrust that my soldiers have a platoon commander who won't balls everything up and get them killed unnecessarily. You're damned right leadership is important. You can be a hell of a good officer in the army without being an academic. But the most academic guy in the world won't have any place commanding soldiers unless he or she is also a *leader*.

It sounds, son, like you're looking for free schooling and rally don't have a schmick of an idea about the import of what you're getting yourself into or what an officer in the military is really about. If you don't view the subsidized education as a secondary benefit to a feeling that you have a calling to lead soldiers, you have no business wasting anybody's time applying for RMC.

Take some time and think about this long and hard before you commit. I can assure you that while you may not pay a cent out of pocket, RMC is the farthest thing from 'free', and the non-pecuniary costs you will shoulder can, at times, be very dear indeed.

Brihard said:
Depending on your academic program, your obligatory service to the military to cover your service could be up to 13 years (Variable Initial Engagement).

Yes. Physical fitness keeps people alive.

Leadership keeps your soldiers alive. You are supposed to come out of RMC after four years and slide into commanding a platoon where I have to entrust that my soldiers have a platoon commander who won't balls everything up and get them killed unnecessarily. You're damned right leadership is important. You can be a hell of a good officer in the army without being an academic. But the most academic guy in the world won't have any place commanding soldiers unless he or she is also a *leader*.

It sounds, son, like you're looking for free schooling and rally don't have a schmick of an idea about the import of what you're getting yourself into or what an officer in the military is really about. If you don't view the subsidized education as a secondary benefit to a feeling that you have a calling to lead soldiers, you have no business wasting anybody's time applying for RMC.

Take some time and think about this long and hard before you commit. I can assure you that while you may not pay a cent out of pocket, RMC is the farthest thing from 'free', and the non-pecuniary costs you will shoulder can, at times, be very dear indeed.
first off I want to thank you for your response.

Second off, "son", you are assumptions toward my intentions are incorrect. Whether or not RMC Is free or not I do not care about tuition fees. I am able to fully pay for my future education and did not choose RMC for the reason of having tuition paid. Free education is the last reason for me to enroll. Your assumptions greatly offend me. I do have a "schmick" of what I'm getting myself into.  I understand leadership and fitness is important, BUT I did not specify that I LACK those two traits. So before you assume my intentions, please ask. Maybe you'll offend one less person.

Also, if youre referring to the "free application" post, you are greatly mistaken. OUAC charges money to apply. I was wondering if recruitment offices charge a fee for applying.

I do think hard and long. I'm not one of those greedy selfish people who only apply to RMC for the free education. I thought about my career path as a soldier for the armed forces. You are in no position in assuming that.

Thanks for reading my response. Also, thanks for being the ass you can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back