• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Refugee Status - Are we sure we know what we are doing?

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
Canada's policies on Refugees is not to protective of the Rights and Security of Canadians.  Canada's definitions on what gives one Refugee Status here in Canada are a total disaster in clearly defining a honest and fair policy that will protect Canadians.  Instead people from all walks of life, from countries far and near, have used loopholes and muddled policies in the Canadian policies on Refugees to "claim" Refugee Status.  Here is how much of a joke our policies really are:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act

Randy Quaid, wife arrested in B.C. on U.S. warrants
22/10/2010 5:08:07 PM
CTV.ca News Staff

LINK

Actor Randy Quaid and his wife Evi are expected to appear at a detention hearing in Vancouver on Friday, after skipping a court date in California.

The Hollywood actor, who has appeared in films such as "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation," "Independence Day" and "Brokeback Mountain," was arrested Wednesday in Vancouver on U.S. warrants citing vandalism charges.

The couple was scheduled to appear at a Canadian Immigration and Refugee Board hearing at 2 p.m. local time, a spokesperson for the department said.

A request has been made for the hearing to be held in private, CTV's Rob Brown reported.

"That could mean several things," he said, "one of those possibilities being that they are going to apply for refugee status."

On Monday, authorities in California issued arrest warrants for Randy Quaid, 60, and his 47-year-old wife after they failed to appear in a Santa Barbara court for allegedly squatting in a home illegally.

The Quaids had previously owned the house in Montecito, Calif. Both face felony vandalism charges after being arrested last month on suspicion they were living in the property's guest house.

Local authorities said the couple allegedly caused more than $5,000 in damage, including smashing a $7,000 mirror. After they failed to make their court appearance, a judge issued $50,000 bench warrants against them.

A Vancouver Police Department spokesperson said it assisted the Canadian Border Services Agency in arresting a couple in Vancouver's west side at 2:45 p.m. on Wednesday. Police would not identify who was arrested, saying their identities are protected because they have not committed a crime in Canada.

"While checking the identity of a man and a woman at that location, they learned that the two were wanted on outstanding warrants from the United States," said Const. Anne Longley.

The couple was held in a Vancouver jail before being turned over to the border agents around 10:30 a.m. Friday. The CBSA has not publicly commented on the case.

Celebrity bounty hunter Duane 'Dog' Chapman issued a public challenge to the couple Thursday night, urging them to turn themselves in to U.S. authorities, or face capture by the TV tough guy.

"At least do it for your wife and for how you were raised. If not, the Chapman family is coming after you," the bounty hunter said on comedian George Lopez's late night show, "Lopez Tonight."

The Quaids have had run-ins with the law in the past. They missed several court appearances in a previous case in which they were accused of defrauding an innkeeper. Evi Quaid pleaded guilty to a misdemeanour count when the case was resolved earlier this year. Charges against Randy were dropped.

Randy Quaid's accolades for his work on-screen include a Golden Globe for his role as former U.S. president Lyndon Johnson in the 1987 TV movie "LBJ: The Early Years," and an Academy Award nomination for the 1973 film "The Last Detail."

He is the brother of actor Dennis Quaid.

With files from The Canadian Press

Well.....just saw it on TV.............hes being allowed to stay and will be granted permanent resident status.

CDN Aviator said:
Well.....just saw it on TV.............hes being allowed to stay and will be granted permanent resident status.

Wish the good looking (and apparently not crazy) Quaid brother would have come instead.  ;)

Unfreakingbelievable.  No wonder the US has such a hardon for our system.

CDN Aviator said:
More on that....
Hollywood actor Randy Quaid is a step closer to being allowed to live in Canada, after fleeing from what he said was a conspiracy of "star whackers" who were out to get him, his attorneys said on Wednesday.

Canadian border officials have ended their efforts to send him back to the United States where he is facing criminal vandalism charges in a property dispute, the attorneys said.

Quaid's wife Evi was granted Canadian citizenship this month because her father was born in Canada, and she is now allowed to sponsor her husband to remain in the country as a permanent resident, lawyer Catherine Sas said.

A final decision on his residency request will be made by Canadian immigration authorities, but he can remain in the country while that happens ....

Only in Canada eh? Pity.......with her dad being born in Canada there's not much that can be done unless their failure to appear for a hearing on the burglary charges in Santa Barbara, California constitutes grounds for not getting permanent resident status.........yeah right...like that would ever happen......

At least if he gets to stay we'll be spared any more of his "acting".

It's interesting that they say "granted" citizenship.  That's not really the case, though - it's just that it was officially recorded.  She can sponsor him for PR but I don't think he could qualify until such time as he is free of legal obligations in the USA - because one of the things he has to produce is clearance certificates from the FBI and state police forces of any state in which he's resided IIRC in the last ten years. (just trying to remember from my wife's immigration process).

Larry Strong said:
Only in Canada eh? Pity.......with her dad being born in Canada there's not much that can be done unless their failure to appear for a hearing on the burglary charges in Santa Barbara, California constitutes grounds for not getting permanent resident status.........yeah right...like that would ever happen......

His wife has been deemed to be a Canadian Citizen, and so she can sponsor him as her spouse. Totally seperate issue to the refugee claim.

ModlrMike said:
At least if he gets to stay we'll be spared any more of his "acting".

I enjoyed him as the young sailor going to jail in "The Last Detail".
Shore Patrol #1 ( about to remove his handcuffs on the train ): "Meadows, is your word worth anything?"
"Sure, it's as good as the next guy's."
S.P. #2: "The next guy is a prick!"
:)

I'll take the Quaids over the Khadrs any damn day of the week, month or year.  At least they are the sort of folks that I would prefer to see living in Canada compaired to the others.

jollyjacktar said:
I'll take the Quaids over the Khadrs any damn day of the week, month or year.

I agree WRT to comparing to the Kadhers.......but Quaid is still running from US law.......he should get the boot too.

CDN Aviator said:
I agree WRT to comparing to the Kadhers.......but Quaid is still running from US law.......he should get the boot too.

IIRC, his alleged offences are not the kind we can extradite him for. Howeverm his alleged criminality will obviously be considered in his immigration application (which appears to be the avenue he is now persuing).

Personally I hope the Chapman family does make a move and take Quaid into custody. Normally, I’m not a fan of foreign nations violating Canadian sovereignty, but since the Government of Canada has failed to protect Canadian Citizens in favor of a totally ridiculous and impotent immigration policy, I see no problem with foreign bounty hunters taking him in to custody, even if it’s an illegal action.

Ex-SHAD said:
Personally I hope the Chapman family does make a move and take Quaid into custody. Normally, I’m not a fan of foreign nations violating Canadian sovereignty, but since the Government of Canada has failed to protect Canadian Citizens in favor of a totally ridiculous and impotent immigration policy, I see no problem with foreign bounty hunters taking him in to custody, even if it’s an illegal action.

So you're condoning for profit kidnapping?

His legal issues in the US might very well disqualify him from citizenship. He will then either have to try the refugee angle again or leave. However, none of the foregoing is reason enough for some foreign "agent" to forcibly remove him.

By agent I mean acting on behalf of a US court.

Back