• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

Those letters of reference are quite ridiculous.  They ask questions like "Would you recommend such-and-such for the Canadian Forces".  Why would someone go out and get a letter that doesn't recommend them for the job?  As well, do they have any relevence on the person's ability to be a good soldier, only OJT can determine that.  I remember the clerk just opened my two letters and ticked off the box, the qualitative merits of either weren't a factor.  Another example of CFRC thinking it can determine suitability....

Is 'OJT' on the job training?

What if frustrating is over the years I have met some real wingnuts that have managed to get in to the Army...of course most end up getting the boot, but it is real frustrating..like here I sit wanting a chance (and getting older), and then to have to watch others go out of their way to blow it.

Isn't there some sort of ethics, and or psych test I could take?

P.

The referance letters are a joke. They were the hardest part of my app because I don't belong to any sports teams or anything. I had to get my Karate teacher from 2 years back and one of the only teachers in my school who doesn't want me to face a firing squad ;)

My entire way to deliver my app I was afraid they wouldn't be good enough but the recruiter just looked to make sure I had two then ticked it off on some paper.

The guy who does your interview reads over the letters of reference.

The guy who does your interview reads over the letters of reference.

An what is he expecting to find, a potential recruit submitting a reference that says "X is incapable of performing assigned tasks, do not recruit him into the CF."  I think the NCO on the training grounds is better able to make that assessment.

Infanteer said:
Those letters of reference are quite ridiculous.   They ask questions like "Would you recommend such-and-such for the Canadian Forces".   Why would someone go out and get a letter that doesn't recommend them for the job?   As well, do they have any relevence on the person's ability to be a good soldier, only OJT can determine that.   I remember the clerk just opened my two letters and ticked off the box, the qualitative merits of either weren't a factor.   Another example of CFRC thinking it can determine suitability....

You would be surprised at the LOR's that some people do bring in.  The purpose of these letters are to determine if you actually have someone who is willing to stand up and say "Johnny is a good boy, I have known him for five years and in that time he has done nothing wrong."  If you are unable to do that, maybe you are not the kind of person we want representing Canada.  In some cases it is impossible to find someone who has known for five years for various reasons, too bad, the recruiting process wants these letters and one of the people you choose must have known you for five years.  Five people who have known you for one year won't cut it anymore.

Infanteer

I'm shocked at your comment.  Does having shinny shoes or your underwear 6inx6inx.5in in your locker layout make you any better a soldier?  No, but working through the stress of extra work on your Basic Training does.  The Military Career Counsellor who conducted your interview read your LOR before your interview.  Most employers look at letters of reference too.  The CFRC can determine your suitability for the CF and your MOC by following the guidelines and policies laid out by a higher authority (HR MIL).  CFRC's don't make policy, they follow it.  As a moderator, I thought you would try to help people understand the process, good or bad instead of complaining about it.

Infanteer

Sorry I called you a moderator, I meant Directing Staff Member

My advice: whomever you use as a reference, make sure you let them know that you are using them as a reference. Here's a quick story for you: there was a guy in my unit who decided to get out and go to university. He burned a few bridges behind him, making fun of the guys staying in (ie "I'm better than you because I'm getting an education"). Anyway, he knocked up his girlfriend, realized that he made a mistake (or two) and then tried to get back into the Army. He made the mistake of using a Sgt in the unit who was fairly outspoken and didn't suffer fools lightly. Oh yeah, he also forgot to let the Sgt know that he was being used as a reference. Recruiter: "Is this Sgt Bloggins? Do you know Timmy O'toole? He wants to get back into the Regular Force and used you as a reference." Sgt Bloggins: "He's an idiot. Don't let him back in". Recruiter: (stunned silence). Anyway, moral of the story: don't be an idiot, and make sure you use somebody who will actually say good things about you (ie. pay them off  >:D )

Al

You would be surprised at the LOR's that some people do bring in.   The purpose of these letters are to determine if you actually have someone who is willing to stand up and say "Johnny is a good boy, I have known him for five years and in that time he has done nothing wrong."

Doesn't a criminal record check establish that?

If you are unable to do that, maybe you are not the kind of person we want representing Canada.   In some cases it is impossible to find someone who has known for five years for various reasons, too bad, the recruiting process wants these letters and one of the people you choose must have known you for five years.   Five people who have known you for one year won't cut it anymore.

That is an unfortunate attitude considering we are missing entire subunits from our orbats and many potential soldiers are turned off of service from the 6 months to 1 year bottleneck that is CFRC.

Infanteer

I'm shocked at your comment.   Does having shinny shoes or your underwear 6inx6inx.5in in your locker layout make you any better a soldier?   No, but working through the stress of extra work on your Basic Training does.

Your right, and the Officers and NCOs responsible for training can determine that at the relevant time.  

The Military Career Counsellor who conducted your interview read your LOR before your interview.   Most employers look at letters of reference too.   The CFRC can determine your suitability for the CF and your MOC by following the guidelines and policies laid out by a higher authority (HR MIL).

As far as I see it, reference letters are subjective due to the fact that the recruit can pick and choose which sources he wishes to present to the recruiter.   I can think of a troop who did exactly that, slipped through the cracks on basic training, and was RTU'd on operations for piss-poor soldiering.   I can't figure out how a thumbs up from a karate instructor or a church group leader has any value on determining the abilities of a soldier.

I am a firm believer in the fact that a recruiting center should be for processing recruits.   Getting them interested and ensuring they meet the most basic medical and aptitude standards; there is no reason this should take as long as it does.   Get them into the training pipeline as quick as possible and let the NCO's who deal with them day in and day out determine their "suitability for the CF and your MOC by following the guidelines and policies laid out by a higher authority (HR MIL)."

CFRC's don't make policy, they follow it.

Right.   I never intended to point out the CF members who "man the trenches" at the CFRC's as incompetent.   Painting with a broad brush like that is similar to "St Jean is the dumping ground for units to get rid of guys...."   Obviously untrue, and to say so does a disservice to hard working soldiers who do their assigned jobs to the best of their abilities.

However, many are critical of policies from up high that tend to handcuff those on the ground from doing their job.   CFRC is no different in the fact that we should be critical of policies which have an undesirable effect on the CF.

As a moderator, I thought you would try to help people understand the process, good or bad instead of complaining about it.

I am an outside observer to the recruiting process, so there are better people here to explain the nuances of the system.   However, as a soldier on the pointy end, I am concerned about the support we are getting to complete the mission.

Tracker wrote: "If you are unable to do that, maybe you are not the kind of person we want representing Canada."

I really take offence to this statement.

So how is someone who keeps out of trouble works hard all his life, and is super picky about his association somehow bad for the CF?
BTE: I also didn't ask my few close friends to die off due to illness.

I don't get it.  I worked behind the stage at APEC in Vancouver, had good enogh security clearance to come and go among the delegates of the world. 
I'm a licenced security guard in BC registerd with the attorney generals office.  Never had a problem with the law, and am the first to help someone in need in my neighbourhood. If someone attacked you on the street I'd be the first their to help you, if your house caught fire I'd pull you out regardles of the risk to myself, and prob' go back for (or bring out at the same time) your pets.

How am I not suitable to the CF?

Cheers!
P.

Infanteer said:
You would be surprised at the LOR's that some people do bring in.   The purpose of these letters are to determine if you actually have someone who is willing to stand up and say "Johnny is a good boy, I have known him for five years and in that time he has done nothing wrong."

Doesn't a criminal record check establish that?

No, The guy who wanted to shoot everybody he could see in Toronto didn't have a criminal record. the guy who killed Holly Jones didn't have a criminal record either.

If you are unable to do that, maybe you are not the kind of person we want representing Canada.   In some cases it is impossible to find someone who has known for five years for various reasons, too bad, the recruiting process wants these letters and one of the people you choose must have known you for five years.   Five people who have known you for one year won't cut it anymore.

That is an unfortunate attitude considering we are missing entire subunits from our orbats and many potential soldiers are turned off of service from the 6 months to 1 year bottleneck that is CFRC.

You want to have someone pushed through the system and not properly screened to share a trench with you?   The bottleneck is not the CFRC, it is the VFS, the Medical, the CRNC and the physical fitness test.   All these are outside the CFRC's controll

Infanteer

I'm shocked at your comment.   Does having shinny shoes or your underwear 6inx6inx.5in in your locker layout make you any better a soldier?   No, but working through the stress of extra work on your Basic Training does.

Your right, and the Officers and NCOs responsible for training can determine that at the relevant time.  

So you want to screan troops at basic training after we have sent them there and denied the spot to someone who might be more deserving?   That sounds like a waste of money and effort to me.

The Military Career Counsellor who conducted your interview read your LOR before your interview.   Most employers look at letters of reference too.   The CFRC can determine your suitability for the CF and your MOC by following the guidelines and policies laid out by a higher authority (HR MIL).

As far as I see it, reference letters are subjective due to the fact that the recruit can pick and choose which sources he wishes to present to the recruiter.   I can think of a troop who did exactly that, slipped through the cracks on basic training, and was RTU'd on operations for piss-poor soldiering.   I can't figure out how a thumbs up from a karate instructor or a church group leader has any value on determining the abilities of a soldier.

If he could not find anyone who was willing to vouch for him would sound alarm bells to me.   No system is perfect, I know guys who made it through basic and QL3 in Wainwright, onto a tour only to be proven to be the biggest piece of s*&t ever to walk the Earth.   Everyone can find an example of this.   In your mind you want those people who are instructors to weed them out in training but this system has already failed.   I instructed on a QL3 course once and my CO told me before I left for Wainwright, "I don't need good troops, I just need troops, we'll make them good troops later."

I am a firm believer in the fact that a recruiting center should be for processing recruits.   Getting them interested and ensuring they meet the most basic medical and aptitude standards; there is no reason this should take as long as it does.   Get them into the training pipeline as quick as possible and let the NCO's who deal with them day in and day out determine their "suitability for the CF and your MOC by following the guidelines and policies laid out by a higher authority (HR MIL)."

Wouldn't be more cost effective though if the CFRC weeded out the crackheads, the asthmatics and the mentally insane at the recruiting centre instead of waiting untill they are on an OP in a mission theatre?   There are many reasons that it takes this long.

CFRC's don't make policy, they follow it.

Right.   I never intended to point out the CF members who "man the trenches" at the CFRC's as incompetent.   Painting with a broad brush like that is similar to "St Jean is the dumping ground for units to get rid of guys...."   Obviously untrue, and to say so does a disservice to hard working soldiers who do their assigned jobs to the best of their abilities.

However, many are critical of policies from up high that tend to handcuff those on the ground from doing their job.   CFRC is no different in the fact that we should be critical of policies which have an undesirable effect on the CF.

I am also critical of many of the policies I have to work with everyday,and it is difficult to understand why many of them are in place, mostly they are cover the CF's ass incase something goes wrong.   If we don't do a VFS on a former member, for example, how do we know if he was released medically or as permanently unsuitable.

As a moderator, I thought you would try to help people understand the process, good or bad instead of complaining about it.

I am an outside observer to the recruiting process, so there are better people here to explain the nuances of the system.   However, as a soldier on the pointy end, I am concerned about the support we are getting to complete the mission.

I spent most of my adult life as a soldier on the pointy end.   I would rather be short handed than have a full section of soldiers who should not have made it through the recruiting process.

Tracker wrote: "If you are unable to do that, maybe you are not the kind of person we want representing Canada."

I really take offence to this statement.

So how is someone who keeps out of trouble works hard all his life, and is super picky about his association somehow bad for the CF?
BTE: I also didn't ask my few close friends to die off due to illness.

I don't get it.   I worked behind the stage at APEC in Vancouver, had good enogh security clearance to come and go among the delegates of the world.  
I'm a licenced security guard in BC registerd with the attorney generals office.   Never had a problem with the law, and am the first to help someone in need in my neighbourhood. If someone attacked you on the street I'd be the first their to help you, if your house caught fire I'd pull you out regardles of the risk to myself, and prob' go back for (or bring out at the same time) your pets.

I didn't mean it to sound like we don't want you and you are a serial killer becouse you cannot find someone to be your reference.   You have to see it from a recruiting point of view, like, why can't you find a reference for five years, where have you been and what have you been up to.

In your case, it sounds like you have been busy, can't you find someone from your work in BC?

How am I not suitable to the CF?

Cheers!
P.

tracker wrote: "Wouldn't be more cost effective though if the CFRC weeded out the crackheads, the asthmatics and the mentally insane at the recruiting centre instead of waiting untill they are on an OP in a mission theatre?   There are many reasons that it takes this long."

Seriously how many Crack heads want to join the army?  Have you ever met a Crack head? 
I have while working security, and living in a major city, and trust me they are obviously not normal.

Also what is to stop one from getting their dealer to write them a nice letter of reffrence...
"yah I've known johnny and so for over five years (selling him drugs), he is a good guy (buys lots), is dependable (steals what I ask him to), and would be good in the army (so I can get access to some neat stuff he will steal from me)".

I mean really...now I'm dammed for being an honest citizen wihout a criminal past.

The past months I have done -and passed- 3 seperate Nation wide security checks for various security jobs..not once did they ask me for letters of reffrence from friends teachers etc. When asked why not I'm told "as it would be subjective, and conjecture, and would require background checks of those sending the letters to have any value". 

If I spend anymore time filling out background check forms at the local RCMP detachment theysaid they are going to either hire me to do my own paperwork or arrest me for loitering.;D

But no I want to represent my country, and offer my experience, and dedication in the Army not the RCMP.
My bad.  ;)
P.

OK, now you are taking the crackhead thing out of context.  I refered to that as an example to Infanteer's thoughts that recruiting should get them in the door and training NCO's should decide if they are suitable.

Tracker wrote: "OK, now you are taking the crackhead thing out of context.   I refered to that as an example to Infanteer's thoughts that recruiting should get them in the door and training NCO's should decide if they are suitable."

Oh I see, but my question (and other questions) still stands how does a letter of reffrence which can be falsifide (and prob' has been in the past) give such a green light?

I would think that after the first day one would know if someone wasn't suitable for the CF.
'Hey why is Johnny starring into the courner, and rocking himselflike that?'...
'No no Johnny, a pic of  Rambo is not a good girlfriend pic!'...
'Hey Johnny take  the CO's arm out of your mouth!'... ;D

I thought that was what Basic training was for..too weed out the good from the bad, or is this the US forces?

Cheers!
P.

The letters of reference don't give you a green light for anything.  You don't show up with your letters and go straight the basic training.  We understand that they can be falsified, If they don't look right, we call the person listed on the back.  I read one once that was clearly written by the same hand that filled out the application.  When questioned about it, the applicant denied that he filled out his own reference so I called the number on the back while he was still in my office.  The number turned out to be his own and his mom answered.  Do you want to have to rely on a lier when things get rough?  That might only be one example, but if I ignored his letters or if he didn't have to have any, you might be sharing a trench with him one day.

Basic training is too expensive to be used as a screening tool.  It costs much less to do it at the recruiting centre.  Either way, some people get through who shouldn't, and some people get screwed.

Ok, I fixed your posts for you Tracker.   :)

Now, for our tete-au-tete.   It's funny how this whole thing sprouted over an issue of a reference letter, which is probably one of the least important parts of the application process.   I can see we are getting sidetracked because you and I seem to be arguing about two different things.   Let's clear this up a bit.

No, The guy who wanted to shoot everybody he could see in Toronto didn't have a criminal record. the guy who killed Holly Jones didn't have a criminal record either.

With reference to the dinky, standard issue CF Reference Letter supposed to ascertain what people like this might do if they were admitted into the Forces?   Obviously, the Toronto guy already succeeded in getting through a form of government vetting to be a registered firearms owner, and the Holly Jones killer had a respectable job, if I recall.   I think we both know that goof-balls will get through both the recruiting and training processes by simply being grey men.   However, I am not looking at making more lax standards, I just want to see troops processed faster.

You want to have someone pushed through the system and not properly screened to share a trench with you?   The bottleneck is not the CFRC, it is the VFS, the Medical, the CRNC and the physical fitness test.   All these are outside the CFRC's control

Ok, now we are getting somewhere.   I was going to throw this in a previous post, but it never fit.

You are absolutely right, if we are going to discuss the recruiting bottleneck, it is best to look at all the responsible groups and go from there.

Obviously, the training system has something to do with it, due to the lack of qualified instructors to handle a large influx of recruits.   This is a structural problem in the Forces with many underlying causes that are beyond the scope of this argument, so we'll leave that.

VFS - is merely confirming paperwork, why must it take time.   I could have a file fed-exed to you in a day.

Medical - I understand this is one of the big stumbling blocks for time, is this the CFMS issue?   I know a doctor down the street who could give me a physical tomorrow; should it take 3 months?

Fitness Test - What is the big deal with making an appointment to do 19 pushups?   If the guy is extremely obese and has heart problems, then the medical should pick that up.   If he can't quite rip the 19 off, I'm sure he will after a few weeks in basic.

As for the CSIS and the Criminal Record Check, I don't advocate getting rid of these.   Surely they could be expedited or processed while the recruit is on route.   This is the what happened for my good buddy who just quit the CF and joined the US Army.   The FBI does a background check on him; if he fails, they yank him quick and probably send him to Guantanamo.

I am looking at the US recruiting process for a comparison here.   Like I said on another board, my buddy went from recruiter door to Ft Benning in a month.   He went in with his social security card and birth certificate and set up a date for testing the following week.   Over two days, he did a detailed interview process, and medical examination, an aptitude test.   The next day, they offered him a contract, which he signed.   It was conditional of him passing his PT test, which he did the day before he departed to Ft Benning two weeks later, and passing a FBI record check, which would be done while he was enroute.

Was he scrutinized any less by the recruiters?   No.   Did he have a reference letter (which is the source of this argument)?   No.   Is the American Army's supply of recruits qualitatively less for expediting the recruit process?   Having seen idiots from both Armies, my answer is no.

Why do we have to have such a time consuming system?   If the answer is resources, then fine, we can admit our recruiting system is strapped for cash and put that on the list of things that need money.   Is the problem bureaucratic, which I suspect it is?   Then I would venture to say someone in Ottawa isn't doing there job.

Here is my question; do you feel are system is as efficient as it could be, even with the constant barrage of complaints we get here at Army.ca?

So you want to screen troops at basic training after we have sent them there and denied the spot to someone who might be more deserving?   That sounds like a waste of money and effort to me.

I think I've answered this question.   Recruiting should be responsible for screening, I just find fault with the time it takes.

If he could not find anyone who was willing to vouch for him would sound alarm bells to me.   No system is perfect, I know guys who made it through basic and QL3 in Wainwright, onto a tour only to be proven to be the biggest piece of s*&t ever to walk the Earth.   Everyone can find an example of this.   In your mind you want those people who are instructors to weed them out in training but this system has already failed.   I instructed on a QL3 course once and my CO told me before I left for Wainwright, "I don't need good troops, I just need troops, we'll make them good troops later."

Yep, weak training standards can be attributed to this.   I think that we are in agreement here.   Let's be honest, if we were to pick out problems with the recruiting system we would have to pick out problems in the training system as well.

Wouldn't be more cost effective though if the CFRC weeded out the crackheads, the asthmatics and the mentally insane at the recruiting centre instead of waiting untill they are on an OP in a mission theatre?   There are many reasons that it takes this long.

As I said before, the processing aspect of recruiting should ensure that troops are medically, mentally, and physically sound.   All these problems you describe are covered under medicals, I never argued that CFRC should quit doing them, although the argument seems to be moving in the direction of addressing the time they take.

I am also critical of many of the policies I have to work with everyday,and it is difficult to understand why many of them are in place, mostly they are cover the CF's ass incase something goes wrong.   If we don't do a VFS on a former member, for example, how do we know if he was released medically or as permanently unsuitable.

Just like above, I never said a VFS shouldn't be done; again I think the argument is moving towards problems with the time required to do one.

I spent most of my adult life as a soldier on the pointy end.

Good.   Then we probably have a pretty common view on things if we are frustrated grunts. ;)

I would rather be short handed than have a full section of soldiers who should not have made it through the recruiting process.

Let's put it this way.   I would rather have a section of 8 then a section of 4.   I never advocated we open the flood gates to whatever trash comes off the street wanting green welfare, I just think it is unacceptable to wait so long to serve in the military.

The letters of reference don't give you a green light for anything.   You don't show up with your letters and go straight the basic training.   We understand that they can be falsified, If they don't look right, we call the person listed on the back.   I read one once that was clearly written by the same hand that filled out the application.   When questioned about it, the applicant denied that he filled out his own reference so I called the number on the back while he was still in my office.   The number turned out to be his own and his mom answered.   Do you want to have to rely on a lier when things get rough?   That might only be one example, but if I ignored his letters or if he didn't have to have any, you might be sharing a trench with him one day.

Basic training is too expensive to be used as a screening tool.   It costs much less to do it at the recruiting centre.   Either way, some people get through who shouldn't, and some people get screwed.

Ok, to sum up.   Neither of us want to see CFRC quit screening potential recruits for outstanding issues of medical, mental, or physical nature.   I think the point I am trying to argue is that it shouldn't take so damn long.   Many members here have dealt with the recruiting processes of the military forces of other countries (myself included to some extent) and there is a general consensus that the Canadian Forces is the most frustrating one in the world to deal with.

What I'm getting at is that I disagree with the way the things seem to be intended to function.   I've heard an experienced SNCO tell me that the problem is that in the CF, the recruitment process is seen as a vetting tool (yes, this guy will be a good soldier), while the training process is seen as merely a skills tool (we'll show them how to march and clean a rifle).   I find that for an institution as total as the military, this is unacceptable.   The recruiting process should make sure that there are no outstanding problems with a potential recruit.   There are simply too many factors with soldiering (mental fortitude, ability to work in a cohesive unit, courage under intense stress) that can only be tested under an rigorous basic training regime.   I just don't believe recruiters have the ability to test for this, and trying to is a waste of effort.   That is why tougher basic training should go hand-in-hand with a quicker recruit intake.   Instead of glorified summer camp, recruits should be indoctrinated into the total institution they are trying to join (the old break them down and build them up routine).

Anyways, sorry for the long winded response, I just thought that it was essential for me to answer all your points in order to clarify my arguement.

Cheers,
Infanteer

Ender57 said:
Firstly, even if a family member is ex-military they can't be a reference because they are considered to be biased, even they are your Father in Law.

I used a current service military member(who happens to also be a friend of my family) and I never had any problem.

I'll have to look closer into this, and make a few long distant drives to the recruting center in Victoria, and pay a zillion dollars for parking etc.ACK!
I hope I can get this figured out.  If not well...I don't know.  :-\

Cheers!
P.

Infanteer

Lets look at what takes the time.

If you don't make the minimum standard on the CFAT, you wait 3 months and try again.  If you pass you go onto the physical fitness test.

If you fail the physical fitness test, you can try again, this process can go on until you pass.  Once you pass we send out the CRNC.  An important note here is that at least one quarter of applicants don't pass the physical fitness test.

The CRNC normally comes in after a week, longer if there is a hit. Once it comes in and is favorable, you are booked for Med and Interview.

The Med is just like the part1 & 2 medical that you have done before and after deployment.  A relatively minor problem though, can slow the rest of the process.  For example, if you have asthma, you must take a letter to your family doctor and have them outline the nature of your asthma.  Sometimes your doctor will not include enough info and the CFRC med staff will ask you to do it again.  This info is then forwarded to CFRG where a medical officer reviews it and makes his /her decision.  There are guidelines in place that this medical officer must follow.  If you don't fall into the acceptable category, you get the letter. 

You must also be successful in the interview.  Again there are guidelines that we must follow, I can't give all the secrets away on this forum but you know where I'm going with this.  The interviewing officer may decide that "Johnny" is not ready for service yet, we'll try again in 6 months.

That ends the recruiting process.  From here we wait for job offers.  Some people don't get an offer.  Some people have problems from the past that continue to haunt them.

If you are perfect and are appling for an MOC that is short handed, we could have you in basic training in 6-8weeks.  Very few people are perfect.

Back