• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruit dies after collapse during BMQ

InfantryWannabee said:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=1873

I wonder what caused him to collapse?

Guess we'll find out.  Dad was a MWO, too, so he must have known what kind of challenges lay ahead.  Can't speculate - some guys just have weak hearts.  Wonder how tough the instructors will be on everyone else for the rest of the course; lousy situation all around.

RIP and my condolences to his family

Unfortunately, I've heard a lot of situations similar to this in the past couple years.  Mainly due to heart complications...

I do not know for sure, but it was likely a previously undiagnosed heart arrhythmia. No doubt similar to the several young high school and college age athletes who die of sudden heart attacks.

Regardless, nothing for anyone joining the CF to be overly concerned about, and

Condolences to the family.

I think Armymedic is right on the ball.

We had a medic in Borden on her 4's have the same thing happen.

The individual in question is the son of an MWO that is in my trade.  We are a very, very small trade and very much saddened by this loss

:salute:

Poor guy, 18, his family seems to be a proud military family, this is both shocking and saddening. My condolences  :salute: :cdn:

Truly,
My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young lad.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mojo.

Yeah I think Armymedic is clearly on the ball with that assumption. Even on a highschool "co-op" BMQ course at my unit, some kid had a previously unknown enlarged heart, it starting acting up one day during an early morning run and he collapsed and passed out! Good thing the kid running with him had a cellphone and was trained in our army first aid+CPR cause apparently him doing CPR is what saved the guy. Crazy..

RIP for him and I hope his family makes it through OK. That's incredibly difficult to deal with. I can't imagine even.

Thank you to the family for giving so many years to our military and now one of thier family members.

:salute:

My condolences to friends and family... tragic loss.

So young...

muffin

Hey does anyone know if historical  records are kept of other soldiers and enlisted men who have succumed to the physical stress that was placed on their body?  In particular, have there been any soldiers  or enlisted men that succumed while being held in a Canadian stockade.  If these records exist, I would like to research this topic.  They say knowledge and truth is power. :cdn:

bboyintown said:
Hey does anyone know if historical  records are kept of other soldiers and enlisted men who have succumbed to the physical stress that was placed on their body?  In particular, have there been any soldiers  or enlisted men that succumbed while being held in a Canadian stockade.  If these records exist, I would like to research this topic.  They say knowledge and truth is power. :cdn:

Ok...........

What is "the truth" we are looking for?

What ends to the means are you looking to find?

Canada does not put undue stress upon its soldiers in training and has a fantastic
training record in regards to troops accidental dying.  Some people do have weak
hearts or irregularities which cannot stand stress under some conditions but that
can just as easily happen at a civilian soccer game (as it did for a friend of mine)
than jogging on morning PT.

So.  Prey tell.  What is this truth we are to look for?  Or should I just call you Pike!?

bboyintown said:
Hey does anyone know if historical  records are kept of other soldiers and enlisted men who have succumed to the physical stress that was placed on their body?  In particular, have there been any soldiers  or enlisted men that succumed while being held in a Canadian stockade.  If these records exist, I would like to research this topic.  They say knowledge and truth is power. :cdn:

Why, you an aspiring writer for Breakthesilence?

RIP to the soldier, I'm curious myself to find out what has happened.

R031 Pte Joe said:
CPR is what saved the guy. Crazy..

Another reason why more recruits need to take their first aid training during BMQ seriously.  You never know when you'll need it.

bboyintown......

Let me get this straight you want to know if the Canadian Forces, keeps records I assume medical records on soldiers that have passed away while on training?

Short answer: Yes of course they do, they keep medical files on all members. Then of course there would be the corners files which I believe are publicly available...

Long answer: What in god's green earth do you need to research this topic for, Obviously the Forces have nothing to hide and when such mishaps occur they make the incident known through the media. From what I can tell your just trolling for possible malicious infomation you can use to in some way justify your feelings of dislike for the Military...I mean what other reason could there be? I really can't think of one but hey if you really believe knowledge is truth grow a spine get to your local Recruiting office and do a hitch for 3 yrs as a soldier then and only then will I so much as bless you with a smidgen of info that in anyway would not be positive to my job as a Soldier for this great country...Plus and here is the big thing You'll actualy have knowledge on the training those people did

Now please either tell us a really really good reason as to why you would even think that this would be a goodthing to research, Or you can STFU and maybe learn a lot by reading some of the stuff contained on these boards, I know I did!

Back